Does Trad grip make you "think" differently?

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Even though I'm not very good at Trad grip, it does seems to make me approach things differently and think differently too.

I would say even if you're not a trad grip player and you're working on a part, it's worth it just to try it and see what happens when you switch grips.

Agreed. I do “think” differently when I play trad. I find myself focusing more because of the different grips in each hand. Definitely cool to be able to do both.

I think Trad Grip does change thinking when playing...little less 'reach'...little easier 'snap'.

Heck, wearing socks only vrs shoes vrs bare feet changes my thinking on the set.

It makes me hungry and think of eating chinese food as I always use chopsticks.

Interesting topic.

I really don't have anything to compare it to. I've played Trad my whole life - it 's just how I was taught back in the 60s.

I'm sure there are differences - obvious physically, but mentally, I don't know.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a Trad vs Match debate, but I am curious to hear from members who are proficient at both.

I'm equally as good at both!
aaf_dur.gif

..it does seems to make me approach things differently and think differently too..

In which way..?

Because, to be honest, in my opinion the only different way would be that you have to think how to hit drum to get a proper sound (regarding your set up, arm/hand-movement, etc..)..Which is all a physical difference..

There can also be an emotional difference that the one or the other can make you feel a little more creative/comfortable regarding getting certain sounds/patterns/etc., but thats about that..

Maybe a little off-topic, but sounds a little like the discussion about matched-grip players not being able to play jazz properly, which is also not making much sense..

In which way..?

Because, to be honest, in my opinion the only different way would be that you have to think how to hit drum to get a proper sound (regarding your set up, arm/hand-movement, etc..)..Which is all a physical difference..

There can also be an emotional difference that the one or the other can make you feel a little more creative/comfortable regarding getting certain sounds/patterns/etc., but thats about that..

Maybe a little off-topic, but sounds a little like the discussion about matched-grip players not being able to play jazz properly, which is also not making much sense..
For me, holding it different brings out a different approach in my left hand like in the accents, press rolls, timing of the fills, etc. I mean, it's not a huge difference, but it helps me think of things I wouldn't have done had I been holding it with a matched grip. Eventually, I'm going to play it matched grip, but it's nice to see what my left hand can come up with using a trad grip.

I began with trad, only recently learned matched, and I always think more “powerful” with matched, more , louder rim shots, too many, easier rolls down the toms(have to watch myself or i’ll Use them all the time!) and different tom patterns in general and more left-handed cymbal and hihat hits(like on “2”, for example, while riding the ride.)

Agree with Tony. If your are use to it and use it often it comes as natural as playing matched. I was taught traditional but I switch back and forth. I dont find myself stopping to think what I’m going to do next. I just do it

It makes me hungry and think of eating chinese food as I always use chopsticks.

Perfect analogy. Now we have a new name for Traditional Grip.
We'll call it the "Asian Grip".

Yes, using traditional grip makes me think, “I’m so cool, I’m playing drums using traditional grip.”

No, wait a minute, that’s what other drummers think when they watch me play. No, hold on, that’s want I think other drummers are thinking when they watch me play.

No, just a second, I think I’m off base here. I’m thinking that other drummers are watching me play. They are not watching me play. They are thinking about the guitar player and the singer. Or maybe they are thinking, “Oh gosh, I think I can play much better than that old traditional grip guy using my highly developed matched grip”.

And of course what I’m really thinking is, “wow I hate using this traditional grip on this guy’s drum set with his rack toms at such a steep angle”.
Yeah, that’s what I’m really thinking.

Too much thinking going on here.........................

I have my own theories about how the physicality of traditional grip vs matched lend themselves to certain types of beats and playing. Saying this not to get into a discussion about whether you should do one over the other (because I accept that you CAN do any style of playing with either), but because I do tend to approach things differently when I switch and I think that qualifies as thinking differently.

Started drumming at age 8, traditional grip all the way, and today at age 52, traditional grip is still my #1 choice.

Does traditional grip make me think differently? Not at all, but the control and smoothness I've achieved through decades of incorporating traditional grip into my practice and play, has more than sold me on the style, to a point where I'll never give it up.

I grew up playing trad, then moved to matched later. When I play jazz I naturally start playing trad grip - softer rolls and taps rather than a heavy back beat. But I can play faster, more evenly and more controlled with matched these days, so I have to revert to matched for faster styles, which feels un-natural, but sounds better.
Its an odd idiosyncrasy I have.

For me I guess it does.

I'm naturally left handed so I practice trad grip left handed on the pad more than match grip right handed which is how I play. Can't play trad grip right handed for toffee and I'm really trying to!

It's helped me get comfortable leading with both hands.

Back