Drumless Version.com anyone?

Tony Marz

I am currently looking for "drumless tracks" to practice to.
(It's too darn difficult to practice drums on top of a track with drums already there!)

Basically I'm rehearsing/practicing for a cover band I'll be playing with soon.
They play late 60's to early 70's Proto-Metal music (like Mountain and Grand Funk Railroad)

I remember back in the 80's, when I played a lot of Jazz, there was these tapes that Horn Players would practice to.
You could mute certain tracks, and change the keys of the "songs" so you could get your Solo Skills workin'.

Is there anything like this for drummers?

I found

drumlessversion.com

anyone familiar with this company?

I see on youtube all the time, classic rock songs with just the bass solo'd or like eddie van halen solo'd.

How the heck do they get this stuff?

More importantly, how can i practice this 14 song list I have of Proto-metal tunes, so I can crush this upcoming second audition I have soon?

(My problem is I can't hear the melodic instruments (guitars, basses, vox) loud enough even with a big PA system at the rehearsal space near
my house)

Because, obviously, the louder I turn up the song, the louder the drums get.

Man, I hope this post makes sense.

If the song has been on a rock band or guitar hero type game it's very likely you can find multitracks for them online to download. Just search "rock band multitracks" and you'll find stuff
For rehearsing for your audition use headphones maybe?

I second the karaoke version. I've bought a few songs from them and they were very acceptable IMO. Not original but pretty good. I don't understand your problem playing along with the original tracks though. I've done that all my life.

Music Minus One....Drums. At Amazon unless it has to be free.

More importantly, how can i practice this 14 song list I have of Proto-metal tunes, so I can crush this upcoming second audition I have soon?

Well, the professional thing to do would be to create charts for each tune and learn to play the chart all the way through along with a metronome. This way, you don't rely on the other players to guide you through the song, and you can concentrate on grooving with the bass player and generally making the music feel good.

Playing along with the recordings won't help all that much beside getting a general feel for the songs. If you make a small mistake, that recording just ignores your mistake and keeps going. A real band will react to your playing.

I see on youtube all the time, classic rock songs with just the bass solo'd or like eddie van halen solo'd.

How the heck do they get this stuff?

Illegally! The master tracks are probably stolen by a recording engineer with access to the master tapes and then shared online. Zeppelin, Van Halen, Stevie Wonder -- never did they give permission to share the isolated tracks with the general public, for free.

Illegally! The master tracks are probably stolen by a recording engineer with access to the master tapes and then shared online. Zeppelin, Van Halen, Stevie Wonder -- never did they give permission to share the isolated tracks with the general public, for free.

If you go the YouTube route to find drumless versions, this is something to consider.

If you're streaming it from the site for your own personal use to learn songs, I don't see an issue with using the YouTube version to practice to. It's when you rip the track to make a personal playlist do you run into trouble.

drumlessversion.com seems to be illegal.

I ordered the drumlessversion package (all tracks for $99 on sale) and for the price, I thought it was pretty good. The majority of the tracks do appear to be the actual performers but sprinkled in with those are some midi tracks and covers (for example there are no original Led Zep tunes).

I am a big fan of karaoke-version and for the most part they do a good job of covering the songs, and they also provide versions of the tracks with and without vocals as well as with and without drums -- all for $1.99 a track.

Norm

Karaoke-Version.com is a great site. Been a member for years.

I ordered the drumlessversion package (all tracks for $99 on sale) and for the price, I thought it was pretty good. The majority of the tracks do appear to be the actual performers but sprinkled in with those are some midi tracks and covers (for example there are no original Led Zep tunes).

I am a big fan of karaoke-version and for the most part they do a good job of covering the songs, and they also provide versions of the tracks with and without vocals as well as with and without drums -- all for $1.99 a track.

Norm

You spent $99 to get illegal copies, congrats man!

Back