Appetite For Destruction Ride Sound Help

yeah those are pretty close to want I want
but the Z power ride is what I'm officially looking for now.
But for some reason, there's way more 20's out there than there are 22's.

Call me crazy, but I don't trust 20" rides.
(they're all being passive aggressive at me)

22" rides stand there with justified pride and confidence because they don't need to prove anything to anyone.

I agree. 22" and 24" rides are my favorite, as I can generally play at a higher dynamic level than I would on a 20" before the ping gets lost under the wash. I once had 5 20" rides at one time, and I have since sold all but two - the K Ride I have owned for four years, and the 1960s A Medium Ride that I got a month ago. The 22" Z Power Ride is one of my favorite cymbals that I don't own right now, but wish I did. If only Zildjian made a 24" version, then that would be improving on perfection!

Tony, I saw your want-ad for a "heavy" Z - just so you know, the "light" Z power rides weigh up to more than nine pounds, so I wouldn't dismiss them. Ten pounds or so and they were marked "heavy".

To me, they were all very heavy.

I agree. 22" and 24" rides are my favorite, as I can generally play at a higher dynamic level than I would on a 20" before the ping gets lost under the wash. I once had 5 20" rides at one time, and I have since sold all but two - the K Ride I have owned for four years, and the 1960s A Medium Ride that I got a month ago. The 22" Z Power Ride is one of my favorite cymbals that I don't own right now, but wish I did. If only Zildjian made a 24" version, then that would be improving on perfection!

OMG!
They actually did make a 24!
i had no idea until I saw this guy's YT video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0oX15XM2zo

Tony, I saw your want-ad for a "heavy" Z - just so you know, the "light" Z power rides weigh up to more than nine pounds, so I wouldn't dismiss them. Ten pounds or so and they were marked "heavy".

To me, they were all very heavy.

Yeah Unfortunately, I'm fixated on this guy's 11lbs power ride just because it really sounds exactly like what I want.

here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTNf12JhvyM

it could have been a 24" Z power ride, too. They did make those, and that was certainly the era for them, but of course, they'll be even tougher to find than the 22's. Check out the Z Custom power rides, too. They're a little glassier sounding, but they are similar, and more readily available than the regular Z's. Look on ebay under z power ride (make sure you look on the lesser matching words results at the bottom, too). Right now there's a 22" z light power ride (actually I've heard it may have been a LIGHT power ride he used) for 175$, and a nicer looking 22" Z custom power ride for 188$, so they're out there, you just gotta know where to look. And, forget the mega bell one. The z ones especially have a rather dark trashy sounding bow.

I'm not familiar with marching band cymbals at all.
Is there a different categories like "crashes" and "rides similar to trap drum set cymbals? What should I be looking for?
Just "band Cymbals?"

Look under "Marching Band cymbals" on either EBay or Reverb. You'll see them listed all day.
Thick, heavy and full of cut and volume.

it could have been a 24" Z power ride, too. They did make those, and that was certainly the era for them, but of course, they'll be even tougher to find than the 22's. Check out the Z Custom power rides, too. They're a little glassier sounding, but they are similar, and more readily available than the regular Z's. Look on ebay under z power ride (make sure you look on the lesser matching words results at the bottom, too). Right now there's a 22" z light power ride (actually I've heard it may have been a LIGHT power ride he used) for 175$, and a nicer looking 22" Z custom power ride for 188$, so they're out there, you just gotta know where to look. And, forget the mega bell one. The z ones especially have a rather dark trashy sounding bow.

Did you find those rides on texas Craig's List?
Because, I can't find any in LA right now and I've been looking all week.

check out the ebay seller thestarofsydney. Dude has a lot of interesting cymbals on there.

Thanks for the tip I'll check it out

Look under "Marching Band cymbals" on either EBay or Reverb. You'll see them listed all day.
Thick, heavy and full of cut and volume.

thanks commander ross
I'll look in to that as well

I was also going for that exact Steven Adler GNR ride sound too, when I played in a hard rock/metal band. It seemed that the 21" Zildjian rock rides (at that time) were not as consistent as today's version, so each one was different. I wound up selling the A Rock Ride I had then, along with an original Z 22" power ride too, since they just didn't have the "bite" I needed. I then bought a Paiste Signature 21" Dry Heavy Ride because Alex Van Halen was using one and I liked the sound. Phenomenal bell! That ride is still in my collection and gets used occasionally. Paistes from that era just had amazing consistencies so you could buy the cymbal anywhere, and it sounded very similar to the next. If you can find one used, Id say check that one out. That ping always cut through the mix, and the bell was awesome. Not crashable at all, but that's not what I bought it for. Good luck in the hunt.....

While I do believe he only used a Zildjian A Rock ride, I agree in person, an A rock ride still doesn't sound like it does on the album. I'de have to think how it was mic-ed may have something to do with it.

For my ears, to best replicate that sound is the 80's era 20" Z series heavy power ride.

Though have long since been discontinued.

I was also going for that exact Steven Adler GNR ride sound too, when I played in a hard rock/metal band. It seemed that the 21" Zildjian rock rides (at that time) were not as consistent as today's version, so each one was different. I wound up selling the A Rock Ride I had then, along with an original Z 22" power ride too, since they just didn't have the "bite" I needed. I then bought a Paiste Signature 21" Dry Heavy Ride because Alex Van Halen was using one and I liked the sound. Phenomenal bell! That ride is still in my collection and gets used occasionally. Paistes from that era just had amazing consistencies so you could buy the cymbal anywhere, and it sounded very similar to the next. If you can find one used, Id say check that one out. That ping always cut through the mix, and the bell was awesome. Not crashable at all, but that's not what I bought it for. Good luck in the hunt.....

thanks DJ Magic
I have a 24 paiste 2002 ride
it's got a great bell but I'm pretty sure the "bow sticking?" sound won't cut enough for my current situation.
Do you know what the heaviest Paiste rides are?
is it the RUDE's?
I'll also look for those 21' dry heavies you mentioned as well.

"Did you find those rides on texas Craig's List?
Because, I can't find any in LA right now and I've been looking all week."

No, on Ebay. Craig's list is super limited, so ebay's the better choice, since you have options from all over the country.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22-Zildjia...723716&hash=item362b1f38d2:g:p9oAAOSwD39ac8V9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22-Zildjia...575136?hash=item362a56f220:g:GwUAAOSwr6xZndpN

Thanks drummer hammer
I can't believe I didn't think to look on Ebay lol
I haven't bought drum gear in a loooong while lol

While I do believe he only used a Zildjian A Rock ride, I agree in person, an A rock ride still doesn't sound like it does on the album. I'de have to think how it was mic-ed may have something to do with it.

For my ears, to best replicate that sound is the 80's era 20" Z series heavy power ride.

Though have long since been discontinued.

Yeah Drum Eat Drum
I keep finding tons of 20s but only a couple 22s, and most are the Z Customs which MIGHT still work. Not sure.
But I'd prefer a 22 or 24
There's a Z custom heavy 22 power ride for $290 right now.
I hope that's a fair price.

I bought a 22" Z custom power ride
so far so good, great ping with an "ok" bell
but still gotta play it with the band
unfortunately i lost both bands i was in this week
so now the hunt is for a new band instead of a new cymbal

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 313
Well really there's only thing to try if all else fails....the 24" Paiste Rude Mega Bell, used by John Dolmayan. An absolute beast, I believe the heaviest one they make. Its basically a one trick pony, but if that doesn't project, cut, and overpower everything on stage........then the guitars and bass are too damn loud !

I will echo Dj magic d's suggestion of the 24" Paiste Rude Mega Power Ride. It has to be the loudest ride cymbal on the market, but it has more darkness and complexity than your average ultra-heavy ride. While I am mainly a jazz player myself, I wouldn't pass up an offer on a used one since I am slowly but surely becoming more competent with heavy metal playing. My second suggestion would be a 22" Zildjian Earth Ride or a 24" Z Power Ride. Both of these are harder to find than their smaller sizes, but it will be well worth the search, since bigger cymbals have more cut in addition to a more complex tone that keeps them from sounding like glorified manhole covers.

I used to have a 22" Sabian HH Power Bell Ride and that was pingy and really hard work to make it wash audibly, it does a bit, but it's more of a low growl with a bit of shimmer. It was especially with new sticks/nylon tips. They're reasonably cheap used too and surprisingly versatile, I used it for loads of different bands until I found my much missed Alan White signature ride.

I always fancied an AA rock ride, but that was for more wash, not less.

I had a Rezo ride. It's a lot like a Sabian Raw Bell Dry ride, but a little more shimmer and a little more open tone. It's a great "rock" ride cymbal that isn't too one note.

I started playing in a proto-metal band, and my lovely A Zildjian 22" medium ride is not cutting through like I need it to.

I need a sound as close to Steven Adler's Ride sound in Appetite For Destruction as humanly possible.

Do I need an "unlathed" ride?

Do I need a Z Zildjian?

Would a RUDE ride work?

It's not necessary that I have THE EXACT ride as Steven had.

(Besides, there seems to be no consensus on what he used for that album anyways)

lol

I just need some "pointing in the right direction" type of advice.

Thanks in advance!
More than likely, it was a 21" Rock Ride cymbal but could have been a 22" Ping Ride as those two cymbals sound similar. It's definitely not a 20" Ping Ride. Vinnie Colaiuta used a 22" Ping Ride on the Tom Scott "Flashpoint" CD for reference and he may have used it throughout the 1980s as I think that it also on Joni Mitchell's version of "Baby, I Don't Care".

While you can use either of those rides, I would not consider them jazzy; they are both meant for loud music whether amplified or a big band. I like them both but prefer the 21" Rock Ride and am pretty certain that it is the 21" Rock Ride model which Steve Adler used on Appetite for Destruction song such as "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Sweet Child O'Mine".

Mike

Back