Who else uses a marching snare with a drum set?

ZildjianLover

On October 24 of last year, I became the proud owner of a 15 x 12 Slingerland Sound King marching snare that was made in May of 1965, and it quickly became my primary snare drum to use with my PDP Double Drive set once I put new heads on it. When the drum arrived, it had a Remo Ambassador batter head, and the original resonant head, and the drum really "woke up" once I replaced them with an Evans UV1 and a Clear Snare Side 300.

picture.php

There's a guy around my town who fills in for me occasionally. He used to be a champion pipe band drummer, and uses a 10" deep marching snare for rock gigs, tuned pretty tight. The guys tell me that his snare is twice as loud as my supra 402, and they get a headache on stage!

I have always wondered how you get a snare stand low enough to play a 12" snare sitting down. I have a 14x8 and I had to pay for a DW9000 snare stand because it was the only one that would get that deep of a snare low enough. And even then I have to raise my throne a little when I play that snare or I end up hitting the rim.

The guys tell me that his snare is twice as loud as my supra 402, and they get a headache on stage!

Good Lord. He might as well just be shooting a 9mm every time as opposed to playing a note on the snare. What a nightmare.

Norwegian drummer Stene Osmundsen.

If he's know outside of Norway I guess it would be from his old band September When or his playing on Morten Harket's first solo album.

Norwegian drummer Stene Osmundsen.

If he's know outside of Norway I guess it would be from his old band September When or his playing on Morten Harket's first solo album.

(Y'all pardon me, but I have to ask...)

I always assume people from Norway listen to a lot of black metal.

Is my assumption correct?

I have always wondered how you get a snare stand low enough to play a 12" snare sitting down. I have a 14x8 and I had to pay for a DW9000 snare stand because it was the only one that would get that deep of a snare low enough. And even then I have to raise my throne a little when I play that snare or I end up hitting the rim.

My snare luckily came with its own stand that goes low enough to accommodate it.

like this....................!

Attachments

• IMG_4661.JPG
    IMG_4661.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 269
What a nightmare. I'm not sure what benefit you get musically from a large snare. Certainly no benefit playing jazz or blues nothing it would add to band's ensemble sound. Just a novelty.

What a nightmare. I'm not sure what benefit you get musically from a large snare. Certainly no benefit playing jazz or blues nothing it would add to band's ensemble sound. Just a novelty.

Oddly enough, it is not much louder than my PDP 14 x 8 Maple Bubinga unless I am strictly playing rim shots at the current tuning. When I am playing in church with the worship band, I use Promark Thunder Rods, so I tune the snare a bit lower so I get a better sound. My bandmates actually begged for me to keep bringing it because they say it sounds "richer than chocolate and smoother than butter." My buddies in the jazz band love it as well, but that is probably due to the fact that I have a lighter touch with my snare playing than most guys my age who claim to play jazz.

They make marching snares that big specially so they're louder. It will be louder than a 14x6 for sure! It can't help it. It's a frickin' snare made for marching outside.

It's actually a baritone snare drum, useful for ballads accents etc. or marching inside if you like...the pitch is deeper not louder..Why not have different size snare drums it's the same as different size tom toms.. no rules. oh yeah, the 14" by 5" birdseye is way louder than the baritone. the maple is denser... oh hang on!... wood type makes no difference, i forgot just change your heads people, buy more heads, buy more heads..... get it? hellooooo! I've it used as a main snare and a side snare, alternating cross stick patterns are great between 2 drums..

Last edited by a moderator:
(Y'all pardon me, but I have to ask...)

I always assume people from Norway listen to a lot of black metal.

Is my assumption correct?

It is probably the music we export most and I know some guys doing well with it.

Not my thing at all, though.

I play an old Ludwig 14x10 marching snare, but I turned it into a tom. Sometime in the fairly near future, I am going to get the bearing edges redone and paint it again. Peace and goodwill.

Update: my marching snare is DEFINITELY much louder than my other drums, it just doesn’t seem like it when I’m sitting at the kit, and the DIY insulation soundproofing job I did on the underside of my garage door works so well. I recently found out that the resonant head could be tighter, so I now have it as tight as it will go, and the result is a much livelier response. I had a friend play a few songs on it while I listened from across the church sanctuary, and the tone carries much further and sounds much richer and fuller than my other snares with high dynamic playing. With softer playing, it is still only slightly louder than my other snares at its current tuning, so as long as I detune the batter head by about a quarter-turn, I should still be able to use it with my jazz band. Even with the cranked up tuning on both heads, it still has by far the most flexible dynamic range of any snare drum I have ever played.

Back