Was anyone in the audience for Fred Armisen's Drummer's Only comedy show?

He did that live at Revival Drums here in Portland. I don't know if it was any connection to the Netflix thing. I was playing that night so I couldn't go.

According to the article, it was filmed for Netflix.

Ill have to check that out. Not to derail, but in a similar tv theme, I saw Criminal Minds episode where there was a jazz band playing. The drummer started off with brushes and then switched to sticks midsong, and the sound reflected the change. I feel like I haven't seen that before, didn't look like fake drumming, which is what I do, quite well.

Anyone hear the one about the drummer that locked his keys in his hatchback?

The bass player was trapped in there for two hours.

Just watched it and liked it quite a bit. It would have been interesting to be at the taping and the after-party. It's worth a watch. The music store "staff" was a nice treat.

Just watched it and liked it quite a bit.

Sorry, my opinion seriously differs. To me it was a complete waste of time. I just kept watching because I was hoping there would be something in the show to make this worth watching. There wasn't.

I enjoyed the drumming and thought that the 1920s kit was pretty cool and sounded really nice! But other than that, total crap!

Sorry, my opinion seriously differs. To me it was a complete waste of time. I just kept watching because I was hoping there would be something in the show to make this worth watching. There wasn't.

I enjoyed the drumming and thought that the 1920s kit was pretty cool and sounded really nice! But other than that, total crap!

I would probably agree. Though I haven't watched it, I could barely make it through the 1 minute preview.

The preview was mostly him saying the impressions he was about to do, then they didn't show the impression. Then about 15 seconds of the 1 minute are of him laying on the stage for some reason that I may have missed.

Maybe it's because I am not a fan of his. But the only reason I'm not a fan is from other "drumming videos" of his that I've seen on YT. Most of the "jokes" are waay too drawn out for the pay off. Yes, drummers get these jokes, but because we are already drummers, we don't need the really long , in depth setup for the punch line. I don't think he gets that part of it, and why he misses the mark (in my opinion).

I think he tries too hard to connect drumming to comedy (I believe it's just so he can show that he plays drums), and in most cases (that Ive seen) the stuff in drumming that we usually laugh at,(sadly?) isn't from people that are trying to be funny, it just sometimes turns out that way- right Wailin?

and again in my opinion.

If it was on TV, I'd probably watch, just for the sake of drums, but I won't search it out on purpose. The YT comments (for the preview) don't appear very positive either, for whatever that's worth.

YMMV

T.

I thought it was really cool that he was able to put it out there, but I didn't care for most of it. One star.

I do enjoy a lot of what he does, Portlandia certainly has some very funny and creative moments. Documentary Now! Sandy Passage with Armisen and Bill Hader was pretty funny too.

But this? I admire the attempt but even if it had been edited down to 30 minutes I think it would have struggled... Having 20/20 hindsight, I think if he spent an hour interviewing well known drummers and having them tell "stories from the road" or "stories from the stage" he may have had more truly funny material that drummers would have appreciated more.

As I type this I am trying to recall at least one funny moment.....

I didn’t think it was that great, it felt like Fred was trying too hard and there were actually not enough drummer and drum jokes, IMO. It drove me up the wall when he said “Whenever my friends go to Turkey, I always ask “Did you go to the Zildjian factory””. Fred, Zildjian’s in Massachusetts! Also, when he tried to criticize Jazz, it was clear pretty quick when he tried to play a standard swing beat that most of his hate probably comes from his inability to play it. It was fun seeing all those kits through the decades though, and for that I give it 3 1/2 stars.

I usually love fred but didn't find any of this funny at all.. I think he knew it also. when he did the dead fox rotting bit it was like.. wow gas tank is that empty already?

Honestly i would have been happier if he had just brought out thomas lang and had him do a clinic..

I'd say about half of it has nothing to do with drumming. I did enjoy the accents across US bit, and the drumset timeline bit, but other than that, meh.
5/10.

I usually love fred but didn't find any of this funny at all.. I think he knew it also. when he did the dead fox rotting bit it was like.. wow gas tank is that empty already?

Honestly i would have been happier if he had just brought out thomas lang and had him do a clinic..

Me too. Lang has a wonderful sense of humor! Far better than Fred’s in this instance.

His Instagram feed of him and Donati had me on the floor.

"... ‘Don’t come if you’re not a drummer.’ I only tell jokes about hardware, drumming styles, famous drummers.” - Fred Armisen

I would have loved an hour of jokes based on the drumming community, but nope, wasn't going to happen. I'd say about 7 or 8% of the "comedy" related to drumming.

Fred should have researched all the threads from here. He could have easily put together 2 hours of material on just how anal we all are about our gear.

The "Tom Angles" thread would have easily sufficed.

Back