Anyone remember who did this solo?

Spreggy

Silver Member
Okay folks, time to reach wayyy back in the memory banks. Somewhere likely between '78 and '82, there was someone on a big tour with a proggish band like Floyd or Yes or not sure who, that did this great solo that got on the live record. It had a distinctly Latin feel going on, and involved a bunch of crowd participation. Definitely a stadium level tour, and I keep thinking Pink Floyd but I can't find it among their stuff.

The drummer played a great solo, and had the crowd cheering and calling back a lot of "hay!" and that sort of thing. I remember it as a thing of genius, and really want to hear it again. Any ideas?

Looks like no one remembers.
I don't know if it was recorded on a live album; but if you want to hear a live drum solo with audience participation,
go to YouTube and search for "Mick Fleetwood Drum Solo". Watch a few of his live solos.

Really doesn't sound like anything Pink Floyd would have done.

And Floyd didn't release a live album in that time frame.

Numerous drummers incorporated audience participation in their solos. Getting the audience to all scream "hey" was standard fair.

I know Gil Moore of Triumph did so on a solo recorded around that time, but he wouldn't have had a Latin feel.

Steve Smith's solo on Journey's Captured album is, IMHO, the most iconic solo on a rock live album, but there was no audience screaming hey on that one.

Tommy Alridge comes to mind. Didn't he have a solo like that on the live album with the Pat Travers Band?

I was at a live concert around that time. The drummer was doing a solo and I yelled out
"HEY.................. YOUR SOLO IS TOO LONG, BRING BACK THE REST OF THE BAND!"

I can tell you what it's not.....Floyd, Yes, Rush. Genesis is the closest stadium prog rock for that time which put out Three Sides Live and had Drum Duel on it with Chester Thompson & Phil Collins. The high pitched toms and rhythm to the solo has a latin feel to it and the crowd does yell "hey" or "ha" or something when they rest. Watching them play it live was wild because CT would play "righty" going down the drums while in sync with PC playing "lefty" going down scale on the drums. Visually too cool.....

Although not prog, and i haven't listened to it in years, could it be somewhere on the Peter Frampton live album ?

It doesn't ring a bell for me, especially not from a prog band. The band that comes to mind with the description you're giving would be Santana.

It wasn't Pink Floyd. By the late 70s/early 80s, they were taking crap for "going disco" with "Another Brick in the Wall Part II."

Not sure if it was Peter Frampton, so I'm gonna split the difference. Here's Peter Frampton playing drums.

It's going to be about as hard to find "that drum solo from the 70s" as it will be to find "that one guy with the greaser hair-do in the 50s."

Well thanks a ton you guys! I spent a lot of time youtubing all of the above, but the mystery drummer has not yet been revealed, and may never. But it was a cool romp through the good old days of excessive soloing. That Mick Fleetwood solo was, well, something different lol. I was disappointed that Frampton didn't make the drums go "oowah, ..... wah wah wah wah waaaaah."

Santana could be the answer in the end, haven't found it yet though.

I had a listen to a double CD of Frampton live, and you strike that off the list in your quest of the desired drum solo.
I found it interesting in the liner notes, where many of the tracks were recorded at the Winterland ballroom, which is where the Band's Last Waltz was also recorded.
The acoustics in that room must have been something else.

Could it have been Rush? They put out a live album in '76 (All The World's A Stage) and another one in '81 (Exit...Stage Left).

David Gilmour, 1984 About Face tour.
Chris Slade on drums, Jody Linscott on percussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4WSVFpjXFs

That was great! And a helluva guess.
Definitely not Rush, I can air-drum all his solos like any good Rush fan, so I'd know lol. BAAH doo BOT BOT BAAH doo BOT BOT BOT BAAAAH doo doo

My mission was to find this solo to grab ideas on how to play a more enjoyable solo. Maybe I should start a fresh thread on that.

How did you hear this solo in the first place? I'm guessing it's not a record you owned, or you'd have your answer. Did it get airplay back in the day?

Im thinking Rush, he had different sections in his solo, perhaps some Latin esque stuff. NOt real familiar with it but isnt there a Live a Budokan (sp) with Cheap Trick that had a cool solo. Thats all I got.

Back