Ever miss out on a craigslist deal of a lifetime?

no talent

This happened to me last summer and I still cant get it out of my head. I looked at a post that just said drums 100 dollars. It was a pic of a dusty 4 piece Premier kit, 3 Zildjian A's ride hat and crash and the kicker,,,,a Ludwig Lm400 supra. We were on the way out of the house to a graduation party for a high school senior ( in hindsight i really didn't have to go), so i contacted the guy and spoke to him about picking it up the next day. I really wanted to just leave then and get it, it was about an hour away, but i had to go with my family to the graduation party. The guy texted me later in the day and said that someone was coming to pick it up. I was not mad at him, first come first serve, just mad that i was at a party for a bunch of young kids and i could have scored a sweet deal on a nice kit.

One guy tried to sell an 8 piece kit and 13 cymbals with stands, throne, and pedal for about $4000.

He refused to split up the set.

Maybe not 'of a lifetime' but I scored a pretty sweet deal earlier this year.

Somebody had posted 'music equipment' in some weird backwater of the Ebay listings. All manner of things lumped together, mostly mis-described. I ended up with:
A pair of Peavey PA speakers
An 8 channel Yamaha powered mixer
A Sony home theatre amp/receiver
A basic drum machine

All for around $150, a fair chunk of which I recouped selling the home theatre amp.

You'll get a good score one day.

I lost a few on CL, always being the 'second' caller. Grrr.
One day I saw a brand new listing. Horrible picture, but I could tell they were Ludwig in either champagne or gold sparkle. 300. I was the first caller and went over immediately.

Horribly dirty and knowing they had been neglected, I knew it was a gamble, but went ahead and bought them.

No hardware or even a tom holder, but I picked one up on ebay.

Here's what they look like now that they've been cleaned.

Attachments

• DSC00573.JPG
    DSC00573.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC00582.JPG
    DSC00582.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 276
You'll get a good score one day.

I lost a few on CL, always being the 'second' caller. Grrr.
One day I saw a brand new listing. Horrible picture, but I could tell they were Ludwig in either champagne or gold sparkle. 300. I was the first caller and went over immediately.

Horribly dirty and knowing they had been neglected, I knew it was a gamble, but went ahead and bought them.

No hardware or even a tom holder, but I picked one up on ebay.

Here's what they look like now that they've been cleaned.

Now that is a score!

Man, I hate the feeling of having missed out on a great deal - I've had a few but my most memorable was missing out on a mint condition Paiste 602 18" flat ride - Blue Label - for the equivalent of around USD 150. But these things happen - I wish whoever purchased that ride hours of glassy riding :)

There was a 5- piece Gretsch USA Custom on CL for $400. I was out of town but emailed them anyway just to see if I could lock it in.
No reply.
Emailed again & once more in the course of 45 minutes.
Nothing.

Waited a day or so & emailed a final time.
No reply.

A week goes by & I finally get a response that the set is still available if I'm game.
I asked why no replies to the previous hits & he said he didn't know. (first flag).
The I ask for a pic of the kit as is. He said he didn't know how to post one. (second flag).
I asked how did he post the first one & he told me it was a stock photo of a kit just like his.
(third flag).
I then ask how his is different than the stock photo & he says, "Well, it's missing some hardware & a hoop for the base drum, but it's nice". (I left the spelling intact).
So I dropped the interest as clearly this kit was a scam. He may have had something good, but the whole process just gave me a Red Alert on the back of my neck.
I've learned to trust that feeling of late.

I've had a couple CL scores but they're not all as good as they seem, I got a kit from a guy that was random pieces (Fiberglass kick drum, Gretsch Catalina floor tom, no name rack tom, old cheap stands, decent Sabian ride and a Ludwig Brick 20 ply snare) I really just wanted the snare but all of it was $150.

I sold off the rest of it and made a little profit and then with the snare I couldn't get it to sound right, I took off the batter head and noticed a nasty crack in the bearing edge and ended up having to get it repaired which cost me $75 in shipping and labor.

The one I missed out on was a church giving away PA gear. 4 Peavey mains, 3 or 4 floor wedges, two big Peavey mixers, mic stands, and a couple other things, I was on my way to get it and the guy called me and told me someone else had just shown up. I ended up buying one of the mixers from the guy that got them.

The one i missed was in a CL ad titled for a Roxx drum set $180. When I looked closely at the fuzzy picture i noticed a Ludwig Transition badge on a gold colored backround. The second I saw it I knew it was a Laquer over Brass Super 401. Easily a $1500 drum even in poor shape. I called, texted, emailed constantly for 25 minutes. When he finally answered, he said the guy who came and looked at his guitar for sale, bought the kit for his friend. DAMMIT!

Here's the one I snagged from Craigslist:

Collector grade 1964 Ludwig Downbeat with Supra ( all with original heads), 1123-1 (Ringo) high hat stand, 2 flat based cymbal stands, speed king, original throne, 60's A Zildjian 18" ride, and 14" paper thin hats, and 60's UFIP crash. All for $300

Kit with Modern Hardware:
20170429_194633%201_zpsqzb6dijy.jpg

Supraphonic:
1964%20Supraphonic_zpsgjnwtbgq.jpg

Back