Why custom drums are sometimes hard to sell...

I guess if you get bored with one finish you just turn your head and stare at a different tom for a while.

There are so many well made kits in factory configurations, it would be silly to go that custom without intention to keep them.

If I had the option to go custom, I would still have them look like normal drums. Maybe choose a rarer color like an emerald green laquer with black nickel hardware. But none of the weird stuff...

Had a few oddball kits show up around here. But nothing like that. Coolest one was a satin navy blue Spaun kit with black nickel tube lugs and cast hoops.

There's really no such thing as a used custom kit... With the possible exceptions of the Stage Custom and Recording Custom. Once the original buyer sells it, it's just a used kit like any other.

This one had to have been re-wrapped, I doubt C&C would let that out of their factory ?

I believe this was during their abalone phase. They did have some striking kits, but this is probably not one they put in the catalogue. Seems a little put together.

I believe this was during their abalone phase. They did have some striking kits, but this is probably not one they put in the catalogue. Seems a little put together.

Weren't these like ridiculously expensive when they came out? Seems like I remember wincing at the price tag when I first saw them.

I think jellybean kits are really cool, but there's something about the Spaun posted by the OP I don't like. Maybe it's the mix 'n match hardware that makes it so ugly. Maybe if all of the hardware was white powder coat or just chrome it'd look better.

Pork Pie did one called "clown puke" that I like.

porkpie-kit-usacustomclownpuke_02-1030x749.jpg

porkpie-kit-usacustomclownpuke_03-1030x749.jpg

This is a lot like cars and other stuff

harley.jpg

VW.png

We buy things that are acceptable or customized to what we want. Tough to sell unless someone has the same desire and taste as you.

Still, that wrap job seems pretty patchy.

Knowing C&C, I doubt this is factory installed.

Raymond Loewy used to Say : ugliness doesn't sell well.
It's kind of true there. Over personallized drum kit with funky wrap, or stupid sizes (shallow toms and over deep bass)... won't fit many drummer, and won't sound good either...

Weren't these like ridiculously expensive when they came out? Seems like I remember wincing at the price tag when I first saw them.

I think jellybean kits are really cool, but there's something about the Spaun posted by the OP I don't like. Maybe it's the mix 'n match hardware that makes it so ugly. Maybe if all of the hardware was white powder coat or just chrome it'd look better.

Pork Pie did one called "clown puke" that I like.

porkpie-kit-usacustomclownpuke_02-1030x749.jpg

porkpie-kit-usacustomclownpuke_03-1030x749.jpg
This may be cute or interesting for a bit, but I know I would grow very tired of soon. My taste is no better or worse than any one elses, but unless that is a NAMM sell kit, I don't think so.

Raymond Loewy used to Say : ugliness doesn't sell well.
It's kind of true there. Over personallized drum kit with funky wrap, or stupid sizes (shallow toms and over deep bass)... won't fit many drummer, and won't sound good either...

I brought this exact same thing up in another thread on why the second hand market of DW Collectors drums was saturated with weird sizes and finishes. I theorized it’s because you have relatively new drummers not thinking long term about WHERE they’d be playing their drums down the road and they realize they need a more conservative look and end up dumping their masterpieces.

I theorized it’s because you have relatively new drummers not thinking long term about WHERE they’d be playing their drums down the road and they realize they need a more conservative look and end up dumping their masterpieces.

Indeed, over 50% of custom drum-set marriages end in divorce.

This is why my custom drum-set was ordered in standard 13/16/24 sizes in a standard color (black). To coin a phrase.... Stealth Custom.

I brought this exact same thing up in another thread on why the second hand market of DW Collectors drums was saturated with weird sizes and finishes. I theorized it’s because you have relatively new drummers not thinking long term about WHERE they’d be playing their drums down the road and they realize they need a more conservative look and end up dumping their masterpieces.

I remember this thread !
I posted a situation I tumbled in : an interesting ad for a second hand DW collector, at a correct price. Black oyster : nice ; 24 13 16 : very nice, but in detail the bass drum was a huge 24x20 ! a big downer isn't it ?

I remember this thread !
I posted a situation I tumbled in : an interesting ad for a second hand DW collector, at a correct price. Black oyster : nice ; 24 13 16 : very nice, but in detail the bass drum was a huge 24x20 ! a big downer isn't it ?

Two inches shorter on that bass drum and I would have bought them!

I remember this thread !

Lots of fairly inexpensive, at least comparatively, options out there by companies if your a fan of 20"+ depth bass drums. I saw one that had a 24x22! I'll just stick with my 24x14.

Two inches shorter on that bass drum and I would have bought them!

I wouldn't go up 24x16" myself.
Originally my Premier kit was sporting two 24x18", I hesitated longly but manage to get a matching 22x16".
Here we don't have big cars and big houses :-D.

Back