The Bo Eder Effect...

I remember Bo having a jelly bean kit, and a kit he called 'lipstick' color too.
I liked those odd green/blue/white oyster colored Ludwigs that he had,
but they went out the door too.

I've gone through too many kits too.
I don't have the justification of getting them for gigs though - just for fun.

When I started posting here, there was a bop kit craze going on. I never had those sizes before,
but got a few kits like that and still have and like two of them.
Bo tried them out, but now he bashes them. To each their own, I guess.

Right now he's the high end guy, but I'm betting he'll soon be singing the praises of cheap kits again.
That's our Bo - LOL

Last edited:
I have to admit seeing Bo's USA kind of gave me the itch to get the Brooklyn. Dammit.

Probably the nicest kit I've ever owned though.

Yea all this talk of gretsch over last few days have been giving me the itch. I don't have enough money for a new kit so y'all need to stop tempting me

Yea all this talk of gretsch over last few days have been giving me the itch. I don't have enough money for a new kit so y'all need to stop tempting me

I'm glad I'm not tempted by that high-end Gretsch stuff. It's probably some kind of defect on my part, but that great Gretsch sound simply doesn't float my boat.

I have to admit seeing Bo's USA kind of gave me the itch to get the Brooklyn. Dammit.

Probably the nicest kit I've ever owned though.

I had contemplated getting a Brooklyn if I didn't walk into this trade - there isn't that much difference between the two, probably just the hoops and the shell packs and not so many finishes, but I couldn't pass on these. I'm actually playing them daily for about an hour at least.

I'm glad I'm not tempted by that high-end Gretsch stuff. It's probably some kind of defect on my part, but that great Gretsch sound simply doesn't float my boat.

Well, I had to find out for myself because I didn't believe the marketing I've seen over the years. I've never owned a Gretsch kit before, and I'm still pleasantly surprised. I still like my Ludwigs, and the other brands are still great, but I like this Gretsch 'wackiness' - very much like the Ludwigs, but it's own thing because I can't get the Ludwigs to sound like the Gretsch.

You're very lucky it was a straight trade so you didn't have to dish out. Were you considering buying new?

The Brooklyns are great. I was lucky I could get in on the USA Gretsch thing without breaking the bank. I can't wait to play them this weekend and have a real verdict.

You're very lucky it was a straight trade so you didn't have to dish out. Were you considering buying new?

The Brooklyns are great. I was lucky I could get in on the USA Gretsch thing without breaking the bank. I can't wait to play them this weekend and have a real verdict.

I was considering used Brooklyns if they could be found. I did find a nice 13/16/24 on Reverb.com and that guy was asking $900 and was in Palm Springs - I could've drove out to pick them up. But friends at work are even closer ;) I'm not sure I wanted a 24" because it would be too close to the 26" I already have. A good test is to see if the standard 4-piece works for most things, and this 12/16/22 does so far.

Well, I had to find out for myself because I didn't believe the marketing I've seen over the years. I've never owned a Gretsch kit before, and I'm still pleasantly surprised. I still like my Ludwigs, and the other brands are still great, but I like this Gretsch 'wackiness' - very much like the Ludwigs, but it's own thing because I can't get the Ludwigs to sound like the Gretsch.

It's awesome that you've found you like them. I haven't owned any, but I've played a Catalina and a couple of vintage kits. I appreciate them, but it isn't really what I'm looking for.

I do know what you mean about the Ludwigs. I can't get my Tamas to sound like my Classic Maples. The Tamas tune easily and sound very pure. The Luddies are like wild beasts, and it took a while to learn to work with them. I like both, though. I just wish I could easily or more cheaply expand on those kits. Ah well.

Back