Need new kick and floor tom

J

JohnoWorld

Yo

So I'm selling my nussbaum prolite and am looking to buy a new kick drum and floor tom (as rack toms will be rototoms)

I'd therefore like to request any ideas for a replacement kick drum / floor tom

To me, different manufacturers excel at different tom sizes. For example, I prefer DW small toms, Sonor medium toms and Pearl floor toms (not that they'd ever go together) but with the kits I've owned, I've never had one kit where all the toms are excellent

Anything else you can suggest would be very helpful as I am going to trawl the internet for what will seem like forever.

I think you should consider a used shell pack and store the rack toms - if it doesn't work for you should be able to resell without too much of a hit in the wallet. If you are happy with the results the you can consider selling the rack toms.

Buying good quality individual drums on eBay UK can be a challenge - 99% of the stuff listed seems to be starter kit fare. Most of the quality stuff seems to be from the US, but you're going to be hammered by postal costs and import taxes if you go this route.

What size drums are you considering, are you looking for new or used - and what is your budget?

I'm tempted to recommend either used Pearl Masters, Mapex Saturn or Tama B/B shell packs as they crop up frequently on eBay UK for -£750 in good condition, but I'm thinking 22" bass and 16" FT (my preferences and budget!).

Last edited:
I've said it before, so forgive me for repeating myself.

I play Pork Pie USA customs (not the Squealer line), and they are the best instrument I have played. They sound like one instrument as opposed to a sum of its parts. No drum is any louder or softer than the other, and each has the same amount of cut, resonance, tone, and projection as the next drum. They do this by graduating the number of plies due to the size of the drum; the bigger the drum, the more the plies. This formula works well.

Sometimes you can find a used shell pack for a decent price.

Best of luck!

I've said it before, so forgive me for repeating myself.

I play Pork Pie USA customs (not the Squealer line), and they are the best instrument I have played. They sound like one instrument as opposed to a sum of its parts. No drum is any louder or softer than the other, and each has the same amount of cut, resonance, tone, and projection as the next drum. They do this by graduating the number of plies due to the size of the drum; the bigger the drum, the more the plies. This formula works well.

Sometimes you can find a used shell pack for a decent price.

Best of luck!

Thanks fella. That may just be the thing

I like Mapex! Peace and goodwill.

I think you should consider a used shell pack and store the rack toms - if it doesn't work for you should be able to resell without too much of a hit in the wallet. If you are happy with the results the you can consider selling the rack toms.

Buying good quality individual drums on eBay UK can be a challenge - 99% of the stuff listed seems to be starter kit fare. Most of the quality stuff seems to be from the US, but you're going to be hammered by postal costs and import taxes if you go this route.

What size drums are you considering, are you looking for new or used - and what is your budget?

I'm tempted to recommend either used Pearl Masters, Mapex Saturn or Tama B/B shell packs as they crop up frequently on eBay UK for -£750 in good condition, but I'm thinking 22" bass and 16" FT (my preferences and budget!).

V good suggestion. I've just seen a nice condition Mapex M Birch on ebay for £350 with all the sizes I want.

M Birch any good?

Nearly bought one back in the day but went with stage custom instead as it was cheaper from my friend

V good suggestion. I've just seen a nice condition Mapex M Birch on ebay for £350 with all the sizes I want.

M Birch any good?

Nearly bought one back in the day but went with stage custom instead as it was cheaper from my friend

I don't know much about the M Birch series - however I bought a Premier Artist Birch set 2 years ago - the seller had an M Birch set, the Premiers and an eKit, apparently his wife dictated that one set had to go, he decided to keep the Mapex and sell the Premiers.

Although I didn't get to play the Mapex set it was obvious that the seller had lost interest in the Premiers once he bought the M Birch drums. The only thing I noticed about the Mapex drums that I didn't like much was the 16" FT only had 6 lugs per side instead of the normal 8 - realistically I don't know if that makes much difference but I'm not sure how long it would stay in tune.

£350 seems a fair price for an M Birch 5 piece with hardware, but if its a shellpack only then it seems a bit steep.

Back