Pronunciation thread

Guru - pronounced:

latest

Here in the UK this is mostly how I hear these words being said.

Taye: Tay (rhymes with pay)

Tama: Tayma or Tarma, I hear both.

Paiste: Pay-stee or Pie-stee.

Ddrum: Dee-drum

Sakae: Sar-kay

Sonor: So-Nor

Natal: Na-tahl.

Yamaha: Yam-aha. It makes me giggle when I hear Americans say Yar-mar-har.

My Bulgarian friend calls DW

duh duble veh

Check this one out for the Japanese pronunciation of Yamaha

Yamaha

Hey is Dunnett "done it" or "duhnette" ?

Ludwig - I also use the german "looooodvigg" but just to mess with people.

Hey is Mapex "mop ex" or mah pecs or May Pex or Mape Ex ?

Guru - "Goo Roo"

"Not all" drum names are stoopid #NATAL

Oh man that's funny! I am Bulgarian and I can totally relay to that hahah.

I have really hard time with Vater... Like is it like water but with "V"? or Vader ( Darth Vader) but with "t"?

Sometimes I can see the desperation in the eyes of the salesmen in the local music stores when I go gear shopping and they can't figure out what I'm saying. I've been living in Canada for 13 years now, but some things will never change lol.

I'm pretty sure Ayotte is actually pronounced this way Ehhh - yacht.

I have really hard time with Vater... Like is it like water but with "V"? or Vader ( Darth Vader) but with "t"?

Yes, it's like Vader but with a "t". It's a good point you raised though about water and this is the fascinating thing about the english language. Like, dater, cater, hater, later, mater, pater, rater are all pronounced like Vater. And yet water is an exception that sounds like war-ter.

Whenever the letter "e" is pronouced with an "ee" sound, you can be sure it's an anglicization. In every other European language, be they of germanic, latin, slavic or Finnish-ugric (as in the case of Paiste) origin, it's always "eh".

So I'm confident "Paiste" is correctly pronounced "Pie-steh".

Interesting, I didn't know that. I'm sure you're correct about how "e" as an "ee" sound is pronounced in europe and so it probably should technically be pronounced "Pie-steh". But on the official Paiste Cymbals youtube channel, all the artists pronounce it PIEstee and you'd think Paiste might correct them. Or perhaps they accept it's been said as PIEstee (and PAYstee, and Paste) for years and don't feel the need to change it as long as it rolls off the tongue easily enough for people to remember the brand name and continue to buy their products. I've never yet heard anyone say "Pie-steh".

So I'm confident "Paiste" is correctly pronounced "Pie-steh".

Whilst 'pie-stee' is the widely accepted pronunciation adopted by the company itself, it looks like the origins of the word are pretty much as you're describing.

According to Wiki: Paiste (pronounced Pie-Stee, the original Estonian and Finnish pronunciation is pie-ste

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paiste

But regardless, it's their company and if they're laying claim to pie-stee as being correct, then I see no reason not to follow suit.

Whilst 'pie-stee' is the widely accepted pronunciation adopted by the company itself, it looks like the origins of the word are pretty much as you're describing.

According to Wiki: Paiste (pronounced Pie-Stee, the original Estonian and Finnish pronunciation is pie-ste

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paiste

But regardless, it's their company and if they're laying claim to pie-stee as being correct, then I see no reason not to follow suit.

Sure, the name has been internalized by drummers and industry figures in the English speaking world to the extent that you might say that 'PIEstee' is a de facto "correct" pronounciation. But I'm still 100% certain that Erik Paiste himself does not pronounce his name like that!

What about UFIP? I always sounded out the letters (you eff eye pee) because I knew they were an abbreviation . However, I watched a Greenbrier Percussion demo video the other day, and Mr. Whitesides said he was playing some "oooh fip" cymbals. Would someone like to weigh in on this one?

That isn't the only weird pronunciation I've heard from him. I remember a demo video where he called the Ludwig do-it-yourself kit a "sign-it" instead of a Sig-net. I can't tell if he does it on purpose or doesn't get out much.

Interesting thread ! For a French messing sometimes with prononciation!
How do you (English language people) pronounce "Premier" ? It's a French word everybody here pronounce it in French (Pre-mié) but do you say prémeer ??
Ludwig tends to be pronounced in German (Loodvig). Like Bethoven.
Sakae would be Saka-é. Japanese doesn't have diphthongs sounds.
Natal ( French word) is pronounced like Tama or Mama ;-)
Sonor (existing word in French) is So-nor : no trick.

Interesting thread ! For a French messing sometimes with prononciation!
How do you (English language people) pronounce "Premier" ? It's a French word everybody here pronounce it in French (Pre-mié) but do you say prémeer ??

This word varies by geography here. On the first syllable, it varies from hard E to soft E, and in some cases a full schwa for gutter mouths like me (pruh-meer).

In 99.9% of cases, the "r" is pronounced unless we're specifically trying to poke fun at the french or our Canadian neighbors.

Sure, the name has been internalized by drummers and industry figures in the English speaking world to the extent that you might say that 'PIEstee' is a de facto "correct" pronounciation. But I'm still 100% certain that Erik Paiste himself does not pronounce his name like that!

Call it whatever the hell you like mate.

I always thought Ayotte was pronounced like a New Englander confirming something.

Ay-yut

That's just a guess, I never knew the proper pronunciation.

Alternatively, I-oat.

Back