A proposal for the forum regarding For Sale items.

octatonic

I've been looking in the For Sale thread and it occurs to me that it is fairly unmanageable.

What do people think about having a subforum purely for 'For Sale' items?

We could have it delineated by geographical region (even if it is just USA, Europe, Asia etc) and this should hopefully make it much easier to find/buy/sell gear.

I am in and out of the Classifieds all day and would dare say more than 95% of it is for sale items. What am I missing in your request???
The other thing I have begged for for years is that people put their homeland in their details that show up in the top right of each box with every post. Everyone would then be aware of the location and be better aware if it would be an item they would be interested in pursuing, but to date it has fallen on deaf ears. It only takes a second to go to the User CP and put the location in their details.

It used to be the mods kept the for sale thread trimmed down. Anything over x number of weeks would be deleted. But different mods came and went, and it doesn't seem to get done any more.

A sub-forum divided by region would be much better.

It's been discussed in the past, but never seems to result in action.

I am in and out of the Classifieds all day and would dare say more than 95% of it is for sale items. What am I missing in your request???

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2601
5) This thread will remain Sticky, but all posts older than 90 days will be deleted in the interest of keeping things current. If your items are still for sale or if you are still looking for an item after your post has been deleted, please feel free to repost.
Yet, every post from June 6th 2012 is still up.

And the lack of geographical distinction is a bit of pain. There have been times I though about buying something only to realize it's on the other side of the world, and shipping would be prohibitive.

The Classifieds are now pared down to 3 pages and only three months old. I will keep a better eye on keeping it down to a manageable list. Please list your Geographical Location in your thread so members can bypass those not feasible. And please if you SELL, go back and edit your post to show it SOLD. Thanks

Last edited:
ADDENDUM: For those of you that sell on Ebay and post your link here, Please come back and mark your post sold, if it sells, or ended, if you take it down. We have no way of telling what sells on Ebay without visiting every Ebay link to see what is going on. Please do your part to make the classified section manageable and current. Thanks. Johnny.

My point is it is still a bit unmanageable, especially for those of us that live out of the US.
I have to look through three pages of classified to find the few things that are available to the UK.
Half of them don't have any location information so you have to read the entire post to work out where it is located.

Having a subforum for classified would be much easier and wouldn't cost the forum any resources.
I'm suggesting the following architecture:

For Sale Subforums
\-----> USA For Sale & WTB
\-------> Europe For Sale & WTB
\--------> Rest of World For Sale & WTB

No disrespect intended but in its current form it is difficult to use at all.

I would recommend sending your proposal to Bernhard as this kind of decision is out of my pay grade.

I was hoping to get some member support for the idea before I approached the forum admins.

I think it's an excellent idea.

However, I've noticed that this forum is spectacularly resistant to change.

I was hoping to get some member support for the idea before I approached the forum admins.

You have my support!

I really think this whole board needs an upgrade.

Nothing has changed here in well over 10 years, even though vBullentin has had numerous upgrades since then.

Though James is right, many here are very resistant to change.

Makes perfect sense to me. Anything that makes buying and selling gear easier is bound to attract more hits to the site, and more sellers and punters.

Where is the for sale section currently?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I kind of agree with this but, remember what Gruntersdad said, there is a location section on your profile page that will do the same thing if it's filled in.

Hey guys, I kind of agree with this but, remember what Gruntersdad said, there is a location section on your profile page that will do the same thing if it's filled in.

So what do I do if I don't want to look at every heckin post and reference the top right box where someone is able to put a location? What if it makes way, way, way more sense to simply click on a thread or sub-forum that has stuff from my state, part of my country, or perhaps even local area?

I don't check that thread because it's not very efficient, to say the very least. Can you imagine if Craigslist just had a single running list of everything and each item had it's location listed separately from the last?

No politics please folks- I'm trying to justify a significantly change to the forum architecture and I don't want it to be sidelined.

Thanks.

Back