Vinnie Colaiuta

So I've tickets for Robben Ford in June at a small club north of Chicago (two shows, tickets to both and hopefully no last-minute travel requirements like those that recently janked my plans to see Mark Guiliana). I know it's a long shot but...wouldn't that be something?

I've been that close to Vinnie before at a clinic but never a show. Again, not likely, as I'm sure his pay scale is on a different level than the folks Robben usually brings out,

Last edited:
Despite facing various challenges on many fronts, looks like Vinnie's new https://www.livemusetv.com/ website will launch soon. I wish him the very best as this system will be a major breakthrough in the industry. Fan having direct access to materials provided directly by the artists... This is gonna be great... GO VINNIE GO!!!

Yeah. Can't wait.

Weck is getting his online school ready as well.

That was great, love hearing about the Zappa days and the fun stuff, the business stuff not so much.

That business stuff is very real for those who are in it and not just on the pure performer level. I can easily relate as mainly a teacher as well.

Vinnie did his work in a different time, he's been lucky and he's well set, but he understands that things are different now and speaks up. It's quite necessary.

What I love about Vinnie is he can play the most mind blowingly technical, complicated parts and always makes them sound organic and musical...to my ears anyway. To me, best theres ever been for what I want from a drummer.

Oh yea Odd, so in the pocket with Faith. Also gets stupid in the pocket with Chaka, love that show, especially the behind the scenes jamming with Melvin on bass.

Yeah. He often plays busy, but it's usually not a hit everything hard and sound the same approach, the dynamics make it work.

Another difference for me is simple that he's always on. Fully present. Every hit has intention behind it. It could still be a simple beat like e.g. "If I ever loose my faith." Listen to him play it and the listen to someone else.

Back