What would be your dream kit?

As much as I love my Guru kits, they are just drums. That share every important thing with every other drum out there. After you've had a dream kit, there's really no place to go gear-wise. You realize that truly, this is about as good as it gets, so this journey is over. OVER! That's a good thing because it kind of forces you to do what you're supposed to be doing, playing them.

Wow Larry quite a tribute to Guru-and I dig it. Glad to know your over them and will be giving them away-to me since I pandered for them from the last Larry give-away. LOL. I know I will never be on your list. Yes it is about the playing isn't it-but playing on a really fine piece of art and a fine musical instrument that sounds stellar has just got to make it that much better.

Last edited:
As much as I love my Guru kits, they are just drums. That share every important thing with every other drum out there. After you've had a dream kit, there's really no place to go gear-wise. You realize that truly, this is about as good as it gets, so this journey is over. OVER! That's a good thing because it kind of forces you to do what you're supposed to be doing, playing them.

I agree. I'm not immune to drum envy, but I think for most of us wanna-be's, obsessing over gear is a distraction from the business of practicing and playing. I saw an article yesterday about a pro drummer who doesn't transport drums at all, just uses the house equipment wherever he goes. Obviously this isn't for everyone, but I really admired the principle.

We've already established that even a modest kit, well-tuned, can sound great. Dare I say the rest is just materialism, and the sad hope that we'd be better drummers if only we had that elusive perfect kit, perfectly tuned with 32 different snares to choose from (not to mention 78 cymbals?)

It's nice to appreciate beauty, quality and craftsmanship but I'd be embarrassed to play a kit that was significantly higher-end than my playing. I've heard what Gene Krupa + Buddy Rich did with modest equipment.

Gretsch USA Custom
Harlequin finish, piano black and rosewood split black spoon outline painted in each red portion
22x16 BD* 22x20 BD with tom mounts
10x7 TT 12x8 TT 13x8 TT
16x16 FT w/ internal muffling* 18x16 FT w/o
14x6.5 SNR With diecast hoops and tube lugs
Sabian AAXPlosion pack, Sabian Zen china, and china and ozone crash stack
DW 3000 Double pedal
Full YamahaDTX450k positioned behind the stool with a mounted synth in the middle of the DTX
Pearl Tribells and picolo snare drum.
King Custom 13x6 16 ply with BFSD and wood hoops

This one in a black Fivel finish.

Attachments

• e2bada7cbe4824656c87203e4a0e62f7.jpg
    e2bada7cbe4824656c87203e4a0e62f7.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 413
Sonor SQ2. Heavy beech toms and medium maple bass drum with natural finish.
Or Sonor Vintage series in silver sparkle (not offered as of yet).
Joyful Noise Legacy Birch snare drum.
Some Paiste Formula ME 602's and Traditionals too.

I know it's materialism, but what the heck. A boy can dream can't he?

I'd love nothing more than to own a Guru and Unix kit, both kits with a single kick, one-up, two-down configuration.

Fortunately for me my dream kit is out there already, I just have to bide my time acquiring one piece at a time.

1970s 3-ply Ludwigs in champagne sparkle
24x14 with rail consolette and cymbal mount
14x10
16x16
18x16
14x6.5 Supra

I have the 14x10 already, as well as a 13x9 and 15x12.

I'd like an electronic kit that works just as well as an acoustic kit.

Otherwise a Gretsch USA Custom in 22, 16, 14, 12, 10 sizes with orange glass finish.

Last edited:
I guess I already own my dream kit, especially having 'completed' my snare collection recently.

I have a sonor Prolite in Nussbaum which is now coupled to a guru in tense ovangkol snare.

I would say my journey is also over. The Prolite and the guru give me my sound, having owned many top line kits, and listened to many boutique kits, I'm right where I want to be.

Cymbals are just personal preference, I like most zildjian and paiste

If I want a change of sound I switch cymbals and or snares - steel, maple or mahogany

As for the drums themselves, a Yamaha Recording Custom with a 22" kick, 12 and 13 inch rack toms, and 16 and 18 inch floor toms

The cymbals would be so many I won't list them all rn

As for the drums themselves, a Yamaha Recording Custom with a 22" kick, 12 and 13 inch rack toms, and 16 and 18 inch floor toms

The cymbals would be so many I won't list them all rn

Ok I thought about this
and this is what I thought I would want
Hi-hats:
14" Zildjian K Hi-hats
13" Zildjian K Hi-hats
14" Paiste Alpha Sound Edge Hi-Hats

Ride Cymbals:
22" Meinl Byzance Extra Dry Dual Crash/Ride
21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride
20" Zildjian K Ride
18" Zildjian ZBT Ride (but like, the one I have :p seriously tho I haven't heard another one like it. And as I've probably said before somewhere, I use it as a trash crash and not a ride)

Crash Cymbals (oh boy):
16" Zildjian Medium Thin K Dark Crash
17" Zildjian Medium Thin K Dark Crash
18" Zildjian Medium Thin K Dark Crash
18" Zildjian A Custom Crash
18" Meinl Byzance Extra Dry Crash

Other fun stuff:
8" Zildjian K Splash (2)
16" Meinl Classics Custom Trash Crash
20" Meinl Mb20 China

I'd probably have one more China but I haven't figured out which yet.
Whew! That's a lot of stuff, but that's the dream, right? :p I don't mean to sound like I'm obsessed with gear (I try not to be, it's a problem for me lol)

Last edited:
Pearl Masters Kit
Golden hardware, Splarkling turquoise finish (if they even make it)
8 piece kit
Toms: 8, 10, 12, 14, 16
14x6 snare
18x24 Kick
18x22 Gong drum
Accessories: LP
Tambourine, Timbales, 2 cowbells, and Jam blocks all pitches
Remo Roto toms
Some type of Deccabons
Meinl byzance cymbals. All of 'em. Literally
And all the snares money can buy

A boy can dream.

Why stop if I have infinte budget?
I don't get it. I'll just buy anything. Good, bad, cheap, expensive...
Man, that'll cost my marriage

I'll just keep it short and simple, Neil Peart's Permanent Waves Tour kit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 10.25.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 10.25.48 AM.png
    305.2 KB · Views: 218
A custom made Pearl Master Bcx with all inox hardware with:
18x18 Bass drum
10x8 Tom
12x8 Tom
14x14 Floor Tom
16x15 Floor Tom
14x5.5/6 Main Snare
10x5 Second Snare
Yamaha DFP9500C and Tama throne(which I both have) and Sabian cymbal, mainly AAX 14" hi hat, 20" ride, some crashes like 16", 16", 18", a 16"china and an 18" china, and lots of splashes and stacks

Being a teenager in Ohio in the 70's it's quite understandable that I was a big Mott the Hoople fan. As such, I dreamed of owning a kit just like Buffin's with the natural wood finish and the offset toms. Fast forward to today and I have a Yamaha Stage custom kit in a natural wood finish and offset toms. Literally a dream come true. No lusting after other kits. Snares, though are a different story.

Nothing too wild.

It is a USA Custom and part of it should be mine before this school year is over.

It's just the sound, same as a nice strat, which is my main guitar of choice.

10/12/14/16-22 + additional 20 BD for versatility.

Additional snares:
5x14 version of all Gretsch, Brady, N&C, Craviotto and AK models.

Cymbals?

As, Ks, Constantinoples and a few more from other brands in my regular sizes.

Last edited:
Mine is on the way......Yamaha Japanese Birch Recording set 10/12/ 14/16 22
AND I just bought a used like new Dunnett Classic silver Stainless Steel Snare Drum 6.5x14 . I'm getting very excited about building this kit. Aqua marine green.

Unfortunately I'm just about outta ca$h until my Current PCP by DW sells and a few other odds and ends.

I still need 2 double Tom stands, a Hi Hat , 1 heavy Boom Cymbal for the ride and a double Kick pedal.

Then I'm looking into changing it up from a life long obsession with Zildjian and try some Paiste. Probably going to drop another $1000 there easily. So I'm a far way from completion but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Back