J. Geils Dies

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
John Warren Geils Jr., the artist known professionally as J. Geils who gave his name to the 1980s rock group he founded, The J. Geils Band, was found dead in his Groton, Mass., home Tuesday. He was 71.
Groton Chief of Police Donald Palma Jr. confirmed the death, adding in a press release that a preliminary investigation "indicates that Geils died of natural causes."

While they became big in the 80's, the stuff they put out in the 70's was soooo good....saw them live a few times (including a few years ago), fantastic show every time.

Very sad.

While they became big in the 80's, the stuff they put out in the 70's was soooo good....saw them live a few times (including a few years ago), fantastic show every time.

Very sad.

Agreed, the 1971 Morning After album is my favorite. RIP J. Geils.

Loved J. Geils band.

Every time I heard "Centerfold", I just had to laugh like crazy. One of my high school buds was crazy about this girl and bird dogged her for months. She wouldn't have anything to do with him. Finally she moved away.

About a year or two later, she suddenly showed up as the centerfold in a pretty bad men's magazine. He caught #%!! for a couple of years!

RIP.

Until a few years ago, I didn't realize how tight this rock band was. I previously only had heard their early 80s hit songs on the radio.

Then my blues group added Whammer Jammer to our song list and when we play it the crowd goes nuts.

After hearing the album, watching their 70's live performances on YouTube gave me a much more complete "rest of the story" about the J. Geils Band, who is scheduled to be nominated for the 2018 R&R Hall of Fame.

I was listening to the radio recently and a call in requested J Geils. I thought, here we go, Centerfold again. But they requested Give It To Me, I loved it! Maybe I should check out some other tunes. RIP

Here are my recommendations to hear the real J. Geils band and not the top 40 J Geils band.

Whammer Jammer
I Do
Looking for a Love
House Party
Southside Shuffle
Give it to Me

Yeah, J. Geils was definitely more than his Top 40 presence would indicate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QffhmQrN4aI

RIP...

Yes!

J. Geils was THE high energy, big name band from Boston coming of age in the '70s. I never saw them live but everyone I know who did said they were killer and did encore after heart attack inducing encore. Songs like "Centerfold" and "Freezeframe" were insufferable MTV hits and don't do justice to their musical worth. Here's one of their gems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVZLqe77IQU

I saw them twice in the late 70's. No one could match the excitement IMO. I was at this concert at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco. By the third song the white suspenders were hanging down around Peter's knees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YCal82alH8

Last edited:
Ya I saw them twice in the 70s and after I already had the Morning After album and was blown away. Such energy and such a soulful musical experience.

Back