Your favourite paiste hi hats

That would be a great choice as well. I have never played the 14" Dark Crisps before, but they do sound nice. If I were going to get myself some Signature hats, those would be my choice as well. I'm not sure, but being that the dark crisp has an extra heavy bottom, I would assume the dark crisps might have a little more volume than the 2002 mediums.

My biggest worry with both of these hats is how they will blend with my other cymbals, knowing that neither of them are B20. All of my other cymbals are B20, and I've never really used a mixture of B20 and B8/whatever the sigs are made of, so I'm not really sure how they will sound together. What other cymbals are you using, and how well do you think these hi hats will mix?

I wouldn't worry too much about blend based on alloy. Hi hats are such a different sound from rides and crashes I don't think tonal blend is really an issue. I'd consider blend from a volume standpoint first.

Ordering a set of Paiste 2002 Sound Edge hats this week. From everything I have read and heard, 15's are the sound I'm after. If the hats are anything like the Paiste 2002, 22" Power Ride I just bought, I'll be elated.

Ancient 14" 2002s here.

I wouldn't worry too much about blend based on alloy. Hi hats are such a different sound from rides and crashes I don't think tonal blend is really an issue. I'd consider blend from a volume standpoint first.

I agree, hi hats are a different beast and alloy-matching isn't as important. That being said, I really love what Paiste does with B8.

I would rate the 4 pairs of Paiste hats I've owned like this:
- 15" 2002 SoundEdge Red Label from 2008 (the best, most versatile)
- 14" 505 Heavy Green Label from early 80s
- 15" Paiste/Ludwig NS12 nickel-silver from late 50s
- 15" Giant Beat reissue from 2007 (still really, really good)

Don't for get the 16" Twenty Medium Light hats. They've been what I've been ysing lately. Great cymbals.

Don't for get the 16" Twenty Medium Light hats. They've been what I've been ysing lately. Great cymbals.
Thanks for the advice, GN! Please tell me more about them. Sound, compared to the 2002's, crispness, loudness, etc.

Thanks for the advice, GN! Please tell me more about them. Sound, compared to the 2002's, crispness, loudness, etc.

There's nothing particularly med light about them, so I'm not sure why they called them that, lol. They're basically similar to a pair of brilliant finish Sabian HH regular hats form the 80's bumped up to 16". Lower pitched and meaty, with really nice body and depth. Volume and cut are what you would expect from a pair of New Beats or Sabian Regular hats. Compared to a Pair of 2002 Sound Edges, they are less bright and cutting. Lower pitched hats with the high end rolled off a bit that pretty much work for everything. There's nothing harsh or offensive about them at all.

There's nothing particularly med light about them, so I'm not sure why they called them that, lol. They're basically similar to a pair of brilliant finish Sabian HH regular hats form the 80's bumped up to 16". Lower pitched and meaty, with really nice body and depth. Volume and cut are what you would expect from a pair of New Beats or Sabian Regular hats. Compared to a Pair of 2002 Sound Edges, they are less bright and cutting. Lower pitched hats with the high end rolled off a bit that pretty much work for everything. There's nothing harsh or offensive about them at all.
Much appreciated, GN! I played a set of Sabian HH Stage hats (14") and found them to be a thing of beauty. Great cut and volume, but I procrastinated a tad too long and they sold. Will definitely be looking closer at the Twenty's after talking with you.

2002 Heavy Hats are the best ones from Paiste that I have owned or played.
Have you any experience with the 2002 Sound Edge? If so, what sorts of differences do you notice between the two?

Have you any experience with the 2002 Sound Edge? If so, what sorts of differences do you notice between the two?

I own both 2002 14" Heavy Hats and 2002 15" Sound Edge Hats. The Heavy Hats are much crisper, and less loose, in terms of both sound and feel, compared to the Sound Edge. I guess part of that is the smaller size, but also because of the drastically different shapes of their respective bottom cymbals.

I own both 2002 14" Heavy Hats and 2002 15" Sound Edge Hats. The Heavy Hats are much crisper, and less loose, in terms of both sound and feel, compared to the Sound Edge. I guess part of that is the smaller size, but also because of the drastically different shapes of their respective bottom cymbals.
Much appreciated, SR! Adding the heavies to my list.

My biggest worry with both of these hats is how they will blend with my other cymbals, knowing that neither of them are B20. All of my other cymbals are B20, and I've never really used a mixture of B20 and B8/whatever the sigs are made of, so I'm not really sure how they will sound together. What other cymbals are you using, and how well do you think these hi hats will mix?

Hi Rax,

I think Winston Wolf is right. Using different alloys shouldn't be noticeable. Right now, my main setup currently has a 602 Ride (B20), Signature Fast Crash (B15?), a 3000 Flat (B8) and a 2002 Crash (B8) along with the 2002 hats.

I also mix B20 K and A Zildjians with my Paiste 2002s, 2000s and 3000s at times too, which are all B8 and I am very happy with the overall compatibility.

I think the 2002 14" medium hats would work with just about any setup, unless all the other cymbals are real dark. Simply because the hats are not too bright and not too dark. They have an overall clean sound to them, but sizzle nicely when played loose.

The sound edge hats are heavier than the heavies, and seem louder. Keep in mind that the 2002 Heavy Hats are "Paiste heavy" meaning they're pretty similar to Zildjian New Beats in weight, though NOT in tone.

The Sound Edge hats are brighter and crisper, but at the stool they sound a little tinny because there's less contact between the two cymbals. It took me a long time to get used to that, but the out-front sound is amazing.

My Paiste 602 sound edge hats are wonderful for jazz. Really love them.

Don't let the alloy concern you too much. Sometimes I use Twenty hats with my 2002 setup. Sounds good. No one ever told me, or ever noticed, that my hats sound out of place with the rest of my cymbals. Sometimes I use a Twenty prototype crash with my 200 2's. They sound fine together.

The sound edge hats are heavier than the heavies, and seem louder. Keep in mind that the 2002 Heavy Hats are "Paiste heavy" meaning they're pretty similar to Zildjian New Beats in weight, though NOT in tone.

Exactly. To my ears, the 2002 Medium Hats sound thin, but I have played New Beats my entire drumming life, so that makes sense. The 2002 Heavy Hats are significantly meatier than the Medium Hats. They really are one of the very best pairs of hi hats I own, and I own quite a few at this point.

The Sound Edge hats are brighter and crisper, but at the stool they sound a little tinny because there's less contact between the two cymbals. It took me a long time to get used to that, but the out-front sound is amazing.
Appreciate your input, WW! I have always been a big fan of Paiste, having experienced my first taste of them back in the early 80's, and with my most recent purchase, a Paiste 2002, 22" Power Ride, I have a hunger for more. Everything I listen to in the way of the 2002 series captures my attention and pleases my senses.

Back