Yamaha Hi-Hat Advice Needed

R2112

Silver Member
Hello Yamaha gear users!

What Yamaha Hi-Hat models do you use and gig with? What do you like and dislike about them? I'm looking for a good gigging Yamaha Hi-Hat. I've decided to get rid of my DW 5000. Too bulky and heavy. Plus some of the adjustments are a bit frustrating. I don't need top of the line Yamaha but I'm wanting a solid performer that is relatively light, easy break down and set up, has a good range in height adjustment and has a smooth, solid action. A locking clutch would be nice but not a deal breaker if I don't have one. I don't keep my hats at a very high height but I do often mount a tambourine above my hats. So I need a little room left on the rod above the hats. That's the one thing I liked about the DW was that it comes with two rod lengths and I can raise the hats fairly high if needed.

I've read great reviews about the Yamaha HS740, HS850 and HS1200. I'm fairly certain one of those models are what I'll end up with. Thank you all in advance for your experiences and insight.

I don't know the series names-- I just bought the cheapest Yamaha stand. I think I've had it 7 or 8 years and it works great. I'm sure it goes as high as you need it; it definitely goes lower than other stands I've used, too.

I don't know the series names-- I just bought the cheapest Yamaha stand. I think I've had it 7 or 8 years and it works great. I'm sure it goes as high as you need it; it definitely goes lower than other stands I've used, too.

Thanks Todd! I use 15" hats. With your stand do you think there would be any issues with that size of hats?

I've started using my HS740 stand again and I discover I've always loved the stands with less mass. I just feel better connected to drums without massive amounts of chrome attached to it.

And you're wondering about 15" hats? Pfft. I play 17" hats on my 740 and that stand doesn't budge.

I've started using my HS740 stand again and I discover I've always loved the stands with less mass. I just feel better connected to drums without massive amounts of chrome attached to it.

And you're wondering about 15" hats? Pfft. I play 17" hats on my 740 and that stand doesn't budge.

Thanks Bo! That's great to know the 740's can handle larger hats with ease. Do you ever have any issues with it not being able to go high enough?

Thanks Bo! That's great to know the 740's can handle larger hats with ease. Do you ever have any issues with it not being able to go high enough?

If you recall, I'm only 5' 1". Everything goes too high for me!

I don't need top of the line Yamaha
Yamaha HS740, HS850 and HS1200. I'm fairly certain one of those models are what I'll end up with.
A bit of a contradiction in itself, isn't it?

Anyway, the 700 series Hihat is basically all you need. Heck, even the HS650a is a really solid performer. I do have the HS650a as a lightweight option and the HS1200D, too (and an Iron Cobra, but that's a different story). Of course, the HS1200D has more bells and whistles and allows more adjustments (tilting the stand, switching between a short and a long rod e.g.) but the HS650a was usually a realiable performer and should be enough, if you can accept "rather basic settings". If you want a bit more of adjustability, but still a lightweight option, the HS740 is the way to go. Just my two cents.

If you recall, I'm only 5' 1". Everything goes too high for me!

Ha! Well, it's been so long since I've seen a pic of you standing, I had forgotten. That, and I guess I'm getting old. I've only recently seen videos of you sitting behind your kit and always sound huge! :)

Anyway, the 700 series Hihat is basically all you need. Heck, even the HS650a is a really solid performer. I do have the HS650a as a lightweight option and the HS1200D, too (and an Iron Cobra, but that's a different story). Of course, the HS1200D has more bells and whistles and allows more adjustments (tilting the stand, switching between a short and a long rod e.g.) but the HS650a was usually a realiable performer and should be enough, if you can accept "rather basic settings". If you want a bit more of adjustability, but still a lightweight option, the HS740 is the way to go. Just my two cents.

Thanks for your insight Wave! The 740 is looking like my next stand.

I use a 650 on my eKit. It's light and works. I would have gotten a 740 if I had intended to use it on real hats, as the adjustable tension allows for heavier hats to be used.

If I were going to purchase Yamaha hardware for my non-gigging A Kit (currently using Gibraltar 9000 stuff), I'd go with the HS series.

I have the 740 hi-hat stand and it is just what I needed. It has the spring adjustment for when I go from 16" to 14" and the swivel base for when I use my double pedal. Nothing moves.

I also have Yamaha's top of the line stand, as well as the HS740. The HS1200 is a heavy and cumbersome piece of hardware.

The HS740 is rock-solid, light and will get the job done. I bought all of the single-braced boom stands for gigging because it doesn't break my back when I lug it to gigs.

Ha! Well, it's been so long since I've seen a pic of you standing, I had forgotten. That, and I guess I'm getting old. I've only recently seen videos of you sitting behind your kit and always sound huge! :)

Well, sound is independent of my physical size ;). Thanks for saying so. I do try.

I use the HS 850.
It's three legs, double braced. Perfect for any situation, and the legs can rotate to accommodate a double bass pedal if needed.

Real basic, not a lot of bells and whistles. Just solid construction.
Even the 750, single braced version is good. I had that one for many years prior, and have toured with them as well.

Not sure why you are hung up on Yamaha, but if you are open to other options take a look at the PDP HH820. I have them on both of my kits, and wouldn't consider anything else! 2 legs, solid base plate, and smooth as silk---the swiveling 3 leggers aren't bad, but still won't get your slave pedal in the sweet spot!

I use a 650 on my eKit. It's light and works. I would have gotten a 740 if I had intended to use it on real hats, as the adjustable tension allows for heavier hats to be used.

If I were going to purchase Yamaha hardware for my non-gigging A Kit (currently using Gibraltar 9000 stuff), I'd go with the HS series.

I have the 740 hi-hat stand and it is just what I needed. It has the spring adjustment for when I go from 16" to 14" and the swivel base for when I use my double pedal. Nothing moves.

I also have Yamaha's top of the line stand, as well as the HS740. The HS1200 is a heavy and cumbersome piece of hardware.

The HS740 is rock-solid, light and will get the job done. I bought all of the single-braced boom stands for gigging because it doesn't break my back when I lug it to gigs.

I use the HS 850.
It's three legs, double braced. Perfect for any situation, and the legs can rotate to accommodate a double bass pedal if needed.

Real basic, not a lot of bells and whistles. Just solid construction.
Even the 750, single braced version is good. I had that one for many years prior, and have toured with them as well.

Thank you all so much for all the insight! This has helped me a lot!!

Well, sound is independent of my physical size ;). Thanks for saying so. I do try.

My pleasure. From everything I've seen you play, you're a solid player Bo with great feel.

Not sure why you are hung up on Yamaha, but if you are open to other options take a look at the PDP HH820. I have them on both of my kits, and wouldn't consider anything else! 2 legs, solid base plate, and smooth as silk---the swiveling 3 leggers aren't bad, but still won't get your slave pedal in the sweet spot!

Thanks for your info on an alternative. I guess I've just drank the Yamaha kool-aid. :)

late chime in to say the yamaha HS1200 is bananas good. does everything right & one unexpected bonus was the ability to do jazz ballad hi hat splashes at 3 different volumes cleanly.

I've owned both and the pedal performance is pretty comparable between the two. I do like the two-leg adjustability on the PDP stand, and the solid baseplate, but it is just a scoche heavier than the Yamaha 740. Both are really good options at reasonable proces.

late chime in to say the yamaha HS1200 is bananas good. does everything right & one unexpected bonus was the ability to do jazz ballad hi hat splashes at 3 different volumes cleanly.

Thanks for your insight. The HS1200 is one of the contenders for sure. Do you find the weight an issue in any way for regular gigging?

I've owned both and the pedal performance is pretty comparable between the two. I do like the two-leg adjustability on the PDP stand, and the solid baseplate, but it is just a scoche heavier than the Yamaha 740. Both are really good options at reasonable proces.

Thanks Al !

Back