I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

Pearl really needs to invest in marketing.

The reference shell concept is brilliant IMO. I would not hesitate if I found a used one locally but that never happens, which is a true testament to their owners satisfaction.

Had I kept my trusty sbx I owned for 20 years before buying then selling a dw performance, a ludwig legacy and a gretsch usa custom and in the end keeping a RC and a C&C PD2 I would have saved around 3000$ -and be no better nor worse off. I have had a busy 3 year shopping spree...

As for the infamous never-ever game, I can now say I do not plan on buying anything for which there is no local market. Getting stuck with an unloadable high end kit tends to suck big time and packaging and shipping to larger markets is a royal pita. I like my possessions to be as liquid as possible, because you never know.

I can say though I will never intentionally buy my last and forever kit. I love the hunt and will probably never tire of it. That is a decision I leave to the drumming gods.

When I got to hang with my Pearl guy after-NAMM for lunch, he did reveal (which isn't really a reveal) that Pearl we're going to encourage their higher-end kits upon the merchants. Which would be great. Just put some Reference Pure and Music City Custom kits in the stores and I think they'd sell themselves. I've always complained that stocking the GC's and Sam Ash's of the world with Exports did the brand no justice, but what does a corporation do when theyhave a hit on their hands since 1983?

This could be Pearls' new phase to get the high end drums out there, so that would be cool. I think the only time I saw high end Pearls on a store floor was at Pro Drum in Hollywood, but that doesn't really help Pearl since people who go to Pro Drum already know what's good.

I would never buy any kind of artist "signature" instrument. They're just not attractive to me. I don't wanna be pigeonholed by people thinking I'm trying to emulate this musican or that. Feels restraining, know what I mean?

Last edited:
I would never buy any kind of artist "signature" instrument. They're just not attractive to me. I don't wanna be pigeonholed by people thinking I'm trying to emulate this musican or that. Feels restraining, know what I mean?

I have no idea what you're talking about. :)

I also picked up this older one which is what he really uses most of he time.

When I got to hang with my Pearl guy after-NAMM for lunch, he did reveal (which isn't really a reveal) that Pearl we're going to encourage their higher-end kits upon the merchants. Which would be great. Just put some Reference Pure and Music City Custom kits in the stores and I think they'd sell themselves. I've always complained that stocking the GC's and Sam Ash's of the world with Exports did the brand no justice, but what does a corporation do when theyhave a hit on their hands since 1983?

This could be Pearls' new phase to get the high end drums out there, so that would be cool. I think the only time I saw high end Pearls on a store floor was at Pro Drum in Hollywood, but that doesn't really help Pearl since people who go to Pro Drum already know what's good.

The only high end ones I have seen were stacked way up in the air at my lds whereas there is always 2-3 exports Set up on the floor.

We have a lot of guys working in mines, oil and the military who come back with unspent cash and want to try drumming. Kids, beginners not wanting to spends too much, etc. That means a kit, hardware, cymbals and everything, so I totally get the popularity of exports. I like them as well, good kits considering the price.

Buy when you want to sell high end kits, you need demos. I am not buying without trying and if there is a collector's on the floor, a starclassic, a RC and others you can sit behind, then you are not going to go with the unplayable reference pure stacked way up there.

Simply send a kit to the dealer at regular price with an extra set of heads for when he can later sell the demo according to the agreed time frame.

Ok Pearl you can hire me now.

Now about the look of the opti mounts....

You should include Demon Drive pedals, Diablo D-drums and a host of other products, not just just Christian tags. El Diablo is worshiped also. Just saying.

You missed the point. It's not about worship. Neither Pearl nor D-drum nor any of the other "naughty" mythological-creature-named products make it a point to say that their purpose is the glorification of that mythological creature. Pearl's mission statement doesn't say "We exist to exemplify Beel-Zebub's hate, lies, and falseness." Joyful Noise's does explicitly reference (presumably) Christian scripture, and also says "We exist to exemplify God’s love, wisdom, and integrity."

That makes some of us uncomfortable. But it does not make us inconsistent.

Just saying.

Black hardware. I can't stand it, it looks cheap to me, and I'd be worried about it chipping and looking awful after rimshots and the like. Being seen on countless cheap drumsets doesn't help.

A double bass pedal. I don't play DUGGADUGGADUGGA and I really don't ever intend to.

Probably will regret a lot of what I write here years down the road, but it's kinda fun to see where I'm at right now in terms of drum equipment I can't see myself buying. Keep in mind, I'm merely a metal drummer for the most part (have 3 bands/projects at the moment, all metal music. I still can play other stuff though, but it's just not as interesting for me at the moment. I'm 32 years old, been playing since I was 8).

- Ludwig, Gretsch or anything like the older, vintage type of drums (I even feel like their new drums are mostly aimed at that market, the vintage style...). Reason: I just don't see it could fit into my style of music, even though a drumbrand should not really be style-specific. To me, it just is like that.

- Any type of vintage-style wrapping (onyx, white marine pearl etc). Reason: Same as above.

- A 4 piece kit. I simply can't stand to play them, and I hate that it's become "the norm" on almost 80% of the places I've needed to borrow a house kit, or even from other drummers. Most of my music requires more toms for me to feel comfortable and satisfied when playing, and I just don't care about the usual comments, like it's "more challenging", or "you'll feel more creative" when playing a smaller kit. To me it just takes most of the fun out of it, and makes me feel restricted about everything I like to do. I'll rather have a sore back from carrying more stuff and use 15 minutes more to set it up the way I like. There, rant over :p

- A bassdrum bigger than 22"x18", or smaller than 20"x16". It's just what I feel gives me the sound/look/feel that I want, for my type of music. Not too big so I don't have to put my toms in awkward positions, and quick enough feedback to use doublepedals on comfortably.

- Cheaper cymbals. In Paiste terminology, I wouldn't buy anything below the Alpha series. I'd rather save up and buy good cymbals, cheap cymbals will only end in misery in the long run.

- Any type of cymbal aimed at the jazz genre, or cymbals with rivets. My rides, for example, should be pingy and "pronounced", preferably with a bigger bell. Not washy and highly crashable, that's what I get crashes for... :)

- Snares with woodhoops.

- I try to stay clear of anything signature, allthough I've owned a signature snare once (Tama John Tempesta 14x7" Brass). As mentioned in another post here, I would not like to have other drummers name on my equipment, even though that drummer might be one I respect a lot.

Probably more things I have not mentioned. But I fear that I one day will maybe break these rules, at least when I'm old and can't keep up with playing fast metal music any more :p. Oh well. I used to despise Pearl drums as well, but I've grown to like them over the years. Good drums at a fair price. Not the most easily adjustable tom mounts, but they are sturdy, and as long as I keep my toms mounted on stands or a rack, it looks much better than the "long tubes out of the bassdrum", which was a lot of the reason I didn't like them before.

Last edited:
You missed the point. It's not about worship. Neither Pearl nor D-drum nor any of the other "naughty" mythological-creature-named products make it a point to say that their purpose is the glorification of that mythological creature. Pearl's mission statement doesn't say "We exist to exemplify Beel-Zebub's hate, lies, and falseness." Joyful Noise's does explicitly reference (presumably) Christian scripture, and also says "We exist to exemplify God’s love, wisdom, and integrity."

That makes some of us uncomfortable. But it does not make us inconsistent.

Just saying.

Well said STX. I stand corrected. Sorry about that.

Probably will regret a lot of what I write here years down the road, but it's kinda fun to see where I'm at right now in terms of drum equipment I can't see myself buying. Keep in mind, I'm merely a metal drummer for the most part (have 3 bands/projects at the moment, all metal music. I still can play other stuff though, but it's just not as interesting for me at the moment. I'm 32 years old, been playing since I was 8).

- Ludwig, Gretsch or anything like the older, vintage type of drums (I even feel like their new drums are mostly aimed at that market, the vintage style...). Reason: I just don't see it could fit into my style of music, even though a drumbrand should not really be style-specific. To me, it just is like that.

- Any type of vintage-style wrapping (onyx, white marine pearl etc). Reason: Same as above.

- A 4 piece kit. I simply can't stand to play them, and I hate that it's become "the norm" on almost 80% of the places I've needed to borrow a house kit, or even from other drummers. Most of my music requires more toms for me to feel comfortable and satisfied when playing, and I just don't care about the usual comments, like it's "more challenging", or "you'll feel more creative" when playing a smaller kit. To me it just takes most of the fun out of it, and makes me feel restricted about everything I like to do. I'll rather have a sore back from carrying more stuff and use 15 minutes more to set it up the way I like. There, rant over :p

- A bassdrum bigger than 22"x18", or smaller than 20"x16". It's just what I feel gives me the sound/look/feel that I want, for my type of music. Not too big so I don't have to put my toms in awkward positions, and quick enough feedback to use doublepedals on comfortably.

- Cheaper cymbals. In Paiste terminology, I wouldn't buy anything below the Alpha series. I'd rather save up and buy good cymbals, cheap cymbals will only end in misery in the long run.

- Any type of cymbal aimed at the jazz genre, or cymbals with rivets. My rides, for example, should be pingy and "pronounced", preferably with a bigger bell. Not washy and highly crashable, that's what I get crashes for... :)

- Snares with woodhoops.

- I try to stay clear of anything signature, allthough I've owned a signature snare once (Tama John Tempesta 14x7" Brass). As mentioned in another post here, I would not like to have other drummers name on my equipment, even though that drummer might be one I respect a lot.

Probably more things I have not mentioned. But I fear that I one day will maybe break these rules, at least when I'm old and can't keep up with playing fast metal music any more :p. Oh well. I used to despise Pearl drums as well, but I've grown to like them over the years. Good drums at a fair price. Not the most easily adjustable tom mounts, but they are sturdy, and as long as I keep my toms mounted on stands or a rack, it looks much better than the "long tubes out of the bassdrum", which was a lot of the reason I didn't like them before.

Would you play with guys who have Strats Les Pauls, Marshals etc ? The Vintage gear is where metal came from, i don't get it. Never say Never.

1.Any of the myriad of of extra dry/dark/unlathed cymbals that are popular these days.
2.A "stacker".
3. A piccolo snare,the scourge of the 90s.

agree on the new dry/dark/unlathed cymbals (ie Zildjian)...I went with the Keropes...just a more pleasing musical sound to me

agree on the new dry/dark/unlathed cymbals (ie Zildjian)...I went with the Keropes...just a more pleasing musical sound to me

Meinl seem to be making a fortune off of them The other companies are jumping on the trend. I don't have anything against them. Just not my thing. I play in high volume situations and they wouldn't be practical for me, anyway.

Meinl seem to be making a fortune off of them The other companies are jumping on the trend. I don't have anything against them. Just not my thing. I play in high volume situations and they wouldn't be practical for me, anyway.

My theory is that the cymbals lean themselves towards recording with crap microphones because of the lack of overtones, which is why you see them all over youtube and instagrams videos recorded with iphones.

Not saying they're good or bad, just my theory.

No need to apologize. As long as we understand one another, it's all good. :)

I got one of the Paiste Signature Dark Dry rides back in the day and LOVED it. But I agree they're not everyone's cuppa tea, sound-wise, and I hate how they look.

To me it the opposite. I don't even look at bright lathed cymbals anymore. I love unlathed cymbals as I do not need forever decaying cymbals and that is what I get with x-dries and hammered bronze. And my shallower side likes how they look, so much more personality to my eye. Diversity is great !

I kind of agree with this. I've had a few of artist signature things and there is only one that I regret trading/selling--my Yamaha copper Roy Haynes snare drum. It wasn't that it was a signature model, but it sounded really good. In general, I stay away from signature models, not so much because I'm not interested in trying to emulate others (I'm not), but more that the signature model was made to meet the ear and aesthetics of someone else. I'd rather do my own thing.

I'm at the stage of my life (41) where I never say never to anything but I can say that I don't currently see myself ever playing another Pearl set.....just too many other options I would like to try ahead of going back to Pearl.

Strange drilled trashy cymbals.......not knocking them for people who use those sounds, I just don't see it fitting in to what I play enough to justify having any

China cymbals.......my 18" china was stolen in college along with its boom stand......that was 20 years ago and I haven't missed it yet.....

Sticks larger than 5A.......I hit relatively hard still but mostly from technique now, I would opt to be miked before I played any harder or wanted a heavier stick....

Round drum thrones.....swapped to a Soc and my sack is happier.....

Double Bass pedals........have one currently and my dugga dugga period is over.....think I will just grab a DW5000 single soon and be done with it

Roto toms.......WTF was I thinking in the 80s......still have those things hanging around the basement....although the small one made a great cowbell sound....

Colored heads on my toms......never did it.....won't do it.....clear or white coated.....call me a traditionalist...

Sparkly or pearly finishes.......mostly because they remind my of the POS beat to hell old Ludwigs or Rogers kits that every school had growing up.....of course I would take one of those POS kits now as vintage is still kinda cool.....but no old finishes on new drums

Drum wraps......I'm just a wood guy.....I like wood....I like to see the wood.....

Would you play with guys who have Strats Les Pauls, Marshals etc ? The Vintage gear is where metal came from, i don't get it. Never say Never.

Well, truth be told, I've never played in a metal setting with guitarists that use Strats or Marshall amps, Les Paul's are allright though, plenty of metal guys use them :). Maybe not in a sunburst finish, though... I don't know, I don't care that much about what the other guys in the band decide to use or not. But I guess people in the metal scene can be a bit conscious about how their equipment is perceived, not just how it sounds. Image is something a lot of us think about, but that is not something exclusively for us metal guys to think about. Remember, using "vintage-style" gear is also an image a lot of musicians obsess about.

And yeah, as I said, those things I said is what I can't see myself getting at the moment, but never say never, of course :). I will probably change my opinion when/if I'm getting old but still want to play drums on a more moderate sound level/intensity. I can appreciate the idea of nice vintage gear, it just isn't for me at the moment :).

Gotta go with the painted hardware theme.
It's cheap looking and it's durability is just a joke.
I have chrome plated snares that are over 40 years old and the chrome is impeccable.
You go into used drum shops and drums that are less than a few years old look beat up and crummy.

I think the raw/un-lathed cymbals are popular because they provide a lot more possibilities for interesting designs so that everyone's cymbals don't look the same as everyone else's. For a lot of people cool designs are just as important as the sound.

I would never buy the shiny polished "brilliant" cymbals because I think they look too gaudy and they show too many fingerprints. I think some of the raw cymbals (especially the Meinl stuff) looks pretty cool though. My Paiste Dark Energy cymbals are the best combination of cool looking and great sounding that I've found so far.

--
Steve

Back