how to make a practice pad sound like a snare drum

gconyers

I just learned this trick to make a rubber practice pad have a "snare" like sound. Take a sheet of tinfoil and wrap it around the entire pad. Push it in to make it conform to the shape of the pad and ensure that it is tight and flat against the surface. Voila. Instant snare pad.

https://youtu.be/sSymgkeea90

I put my practice pad on top of my snare and get an even better result. Thats good for traveling

You can also tape a small plastic box filled with BB's to the bottom of your pad if you have a pad that threads onto a stand.

Ya I sometimes do that as well. This is really cool for sitting on the coach while you're watching tv or can't be near your drums. It's cheap too.

I just learned this trick to make a rubber practice pad have a "snare" like sound. Take a sheet of tinfoil and wrap it around the entire pad. Push it in to make it conform to the shape of the pad and ensure that it is tight and flat against the surface. Voila. Instant snare pad.

Then place it in your microwave to add a little extra spark to your sound.

Isn't one of the major selling points of most practice pads that they're quiet?

Is that why they made the classic Remos? lol

It's all cool. I don't see the foil lasting long, though.

Working with a group of kids on a smaller room I certainly appreciate the ability to have some snare tone, but at lower volume. The Super Pad pretty much solved that problem.

Who knows? Maybe someone will put a pad with foli on it to good use in a recording situation.

Is that why they made the classic Remos? lol

It's all cool. I don't see the foil lasting long, though.

Working with a group of kids on a smaller room I certainly appreciate the ability to have some snare tone, but at lower volume. The Super Pad pretty much solved that problem.

Who knows? Maybe someone will put a pad with foli on it to good use in a recording situation.

Every student bell kit I've seen in the past 15+ years has come packed with that Remo pad. I'm sure parents of aspiring percussionists would appreciate it if they finally replaced it with something much, much quieter. Then there's the black side of the HQ pad. That thing's irritating as all get-out.

Wrapping a pad in foil just seems goofy to me, especially when you make the most ineloquent YouTube video of all time to show people how to do it.

Every student bell kit I've seen in the past 15+ years has come packed with that Remo pad. I'm sure parents of aspiring percussionists would appreciate it if they finally replaced it with something much, much quieter. Then there's the black side of the HQ pad. That thing's irritating as all get-out.

Wrapping a pad in foil just seems goofy to me, especially when you make the most ineloquent YouTube video of all time to show people how to do it.

No argument from me.

The Super Pad pretty much ended my search for all those reason + feel + dual purpose. The rest of them live in my car for travelling and if I run out when teaching.

I do use the Smith Backstage. When Aquarian starts making a 6" SP I'll use that to make my own, though.

For the record, I didn't make the video, I just stumbled across it. Who cares about the quality? The message is what matters.

For the record, I didn't make the video, I just stumbled across it. Who cares about the quality? The message is what matters.

I know you didn't make the video. The quality matters to me simply because the presentation was so irritating. Just my opinion.

BTW, there Are practice pads out there with a snare sound.

I'm gonna pass on the tin foil.

I save the tin foil for more important situations.
146b5e5889cd91a56f8ca2b2287a1ce2.jpg

Last edited:

I wonder how many divorces can be traced back to loud practice pads ...

"You can use this pad while you're watching TV!" Sure, until your wife (who also wants to watch TV) throws the remote at your head.

I have a pad on the end of my kitchen counter for quick access. When there is various cutlery and so forth on the counter nearby it rattles. Drives me nuts and I quickly move it but maybe someone else might like that sound.

Back