Vinnie Colaiuta

sethmyers.jpg

He's from around here somewhere.....Uniontown, PA I think. He's a phenomenal talent but there's other drummers I'd rather listen to/watch. More of a personal taste thing with me as opposed to a "who's better".

Hey guys, so whats Vinnie's given name?" I heard someone say Vincenzo Enzomassimilio Colauita.

Anyone knows for sure?

Re: Vinnie Colauita

After watching the Vinnie, Dave and Steve battle and some of his other vids it made me realize how overrated Vinne is. All I watched him do in his solo's was roll variations all over the place, he had no creavitity, feel, groove or anything that showed me he thinks about what he's doing when he soloing. Also his solo's are allways the same thing....but in slightly different ways. On the other hand Dave's & Steve's solos were nicley put together and had some sort of feel to them that it was like they had an identity. That said I dont think Vinnie is a bad drummer by any means, obviously he knows how to play, but I think I could find a drummer from every town in the world that i'd enjoy listening to more than Vinnie.

PS- Somthing that pissed me off in the battle was that after everytime Vinnie did his little solo, the fans allways cheered, but when Dave or Steve did, they didn't. I'm pretty sure the reason for this is because ignorant people who dont play the drums can only appreciate speed and can't appreactate the works of art displayed by the other two drummers.

Yeah people cheered just after Vinnie's every fast rolls. IMO Weckl had the best feel with fluidity and musicality out of the 3. But just in that particular "battle" scenario, the audience were in the expectation of flaming firework blasts so Weckl didn't stand out.

Yeah people cheered just after Vinnie's every fast rolls. IMO Weckl had the best feel with fluidity and musicality out of the 3. But just in that particular "battle" scenario, the audience were in the expectation of flaming firework blasts so Weckl didn't stand out.

So how do you blokes explain the biggest cheers actually going to Gadd's obligatory cow bell groove?

So how do you blokes explain the biggest cheers actually going to Gadd's obligatory cow bell groove?

Cowbells are just cool. I remember the crowd at Jazz Alley lighting up every time Stanton Moore went to the cowbell.

Two things struck me from that 'battle' video: Gadd is obviously the only groove drummer of the three ... and they all have the same hairstyle.

Well, there's the song recognition of Late In The Evening, plus a general familiarity with his playing vocabulary.

But the most masculine, emphatic cheer goes to Vinnie for his nasty 32nd note hand-foot roll down, and then up, the whole kit. It's ridiculously difficult to play, especially at that speed, but it's played loud and clean. Listen to the crowd after that fill. It's not merely applause; it's a victory cheer.

It's always funny when we talk about that drum battle again like it's the only musical contribution these guys have ever made.

All of Vinnie's solos sound the same? ROFL Free like Charlie Parker that guy is, and still to this day unique in the level of time and control when going for it.

It's not merely applause; it's a victory cheer.

All of Vinnie's solos sound the same? ROFL Free like Charlie Parker that guy is, and still to this day unique in the level of time and control when going for it.

You're preaching to the converted my brothers. Personally, I thought Vinnie smoked that gig. But I wasn't about to get into an argument over matters of taste.

I did however, find it interesting that the guys had the blinkers on so tightly that they missed the obvious en masse orgasm over a funky cowbell groove in their haste to make some pretty dubious points. I thought it well worth pointing out.

Back