New Book on Stick Control Variations

eddypierce

I wanted to help spread the word about a book that came out recently--it's called "143 Binary Algorhythms Applied to Paradiddles, plus 43 Unique Exercises Based on Ravel's Bolero and More: A Compendium of Exercises Designed to Engage Both the Head and the Hands of the Discriminating Snare Drummer," by Steve Forster. While the book title is very accurate, I think the book would have been more marketable if it were called something like "Applications for the First Three Pages of Stick Control," because that's really what it is. Steve Forster studied with Joe Morello (and apparently he was involved with transcribing the exercises for Master Studies), and the bulk of these exercises are based on Morello's ideas for applying Stick Control to the snare drum and the drum set. So for those of us who are always looking for ways to expand upon Stick Control, this book is a godsend. It's sort of similar to what John Ramsay's Alan Dawson book is for Syncopation.

I need to give credit to Brad Allen's great drumming blog for turning me on to this--here's a link to his blog with more information on the book, as well as some sample pages from it: http://www.bradallendrums.com/186-ways-to-increase-drumming-speed-and-control/

Anyway, I thought a lot of folks on here would be interested to hear about this. I just got my copy yesterday, so if anybody has any questions about it, feel free to let me know.

Ed

I promised myself to not buy any more books, but I just ordered this. this as it was cheap and probably has some merit.

Well, its' here.

There are really no surprises here. It's a bunch of Stick Control interpreatations. Some you already know and some you might not have thought of.

The Bolero thing is exactly that. He's take the well know drum part of Ravel's Bolero and then applied different ways to play it in a similar way.

Good traditional hand exercises from the Joe Morello school.

Back