John Bonham ride

Yes, I have both as well and they are different from one another. All I was saying is that they are basically the same blank, but the GB gets the GB lathing, hammering g, and finish and the Big Ride gets the 2002 lathing, hammering, and finish

So what distinguishes the Big Ride from the 2002 then?

Just curious.

Just curious.

The main difference is the 2002 ride is probably almost 1000g heavier than the Big Ride, especially in the bell. The 24" Multi comes in around 2900g, where the 2002 Ride is around 3900g, making it much higher pitched, pingier and more icy sounding than the 24" GB Multi, once again, especially in the bell. The 2002 Ride doesn't usually crash all that well, whereas the Big Ride was made for crashing.

Last edited:

Just curious.

You need a healthy chunk of hickory to bring the 24" 2002 to life.

The Reverend Al's Big Ride feels like a big crash. It sounds great as a big crash. It lacks definition as a ride both in the bow and bell to my ears. In retrospect, I found it a bit odd. It had an overall low frequency to my ears and compared to other 2002s and felt a bit thin as a ride. My take is that there are other cymbals that do what this cymbal does, better. There are better crashes and better rides. I just found it's characteristics to be a bit fuzzier than I wanted them to be. Maybe that's why I don't own any GBs either. I like how they sound, but I seek a bit more definition.

You need a healthy chunk of hickory to bring the 24" 2002 to life.

The Reverend Al's Big Ride feels like a big crash. It sounds great as a big crash. It lacks definition as a ride both in the bow and bell to my ears. In retrospect, I found it a bit odd. It had an overall low frequency to my ears and compared to other 2002s and felt a bit thin as a ride. My take is that there are other cymbals that do what this cymbal does, better. There are better crashes and better rides. I just found it's characteristics to be a bit fuzzier than I wanted them to be. Maybe that's why I don't own any GBs either. I like how they sound, but I seek a bit more definition.

Agreed. I was using my Big Ride as my main ride for a while, but trying to ride on it with 2B's made it spread a little too much for me. I now primarily use it as a crash, and I like it as a crash, although I do still use it as a light ride for quieter sections of songs. Lately I've been using my Twenty set up and I like my 22" Twenty Light Ride better both for riding and for crashing. It's just heavy enough to be able to get definition while riding, but it still crashes beautifully. When crashed, it sounds exactly like a lower pitched version of my 20" Twenty Full Crash and blends perfectly with it. It's a great, great cymbal. Had another one when the Twenty line first came out but it didn't crash that well, but this one's a keeper.

Back