John Bonham ride

Don't forget about the effect of recordings, rooms, mics on sounds of cymbals and drums. You will never duplicate what you are hearing from JB 30+ years ago.

BUT, for given size weight (say 20 medium crash) it has been said black label 2002's of the 70's are a little different than the modern red label equivalent. They are to my ears. A few threads on here, or videos of demonstrations of this

Ludwig 2A sticks&both "white label& 71- black label with serial numbers NOT RE-ISSUE! Paiste 24" GB rides.Also have to &must have his exact&precise studio, microphones, console&his playing technique to get THAT EXACT&PRECISE sound.

I have John Bonhams same ride, but it doesn't sound excactly like his.** Watch this video i made of the cymbal, do you agree? I really don't think Paiste 2002 cymbals are the same as the old days.
https://youtu.be/v8Qoyvcl5e8
Put two "identical" rides together, side by side, from the same time period .... and you'll notice sonic differences. I bought a set of used Paiste black label hi-hats, back in 1992. There were two "matching" sets to choose from. They sounded worlds apart.​

His Giant Beat rides were a little heavier than a 24" GB Multi, but not as heavy as a 24" 2002 Ride, which he used later on. Paiste did a reissue of the 24" GB Ride right before they reintroduced the series, but they are very hard to find as not very many were made. They weighed in around 3200g.

+1 on old black label 2002's not being nearly as consistent as the modern red labels. They could differ quite a bit in weight between different cymbals of the same size and model.

His Giant Beat rides were a little heavier than a 24" GB Multi, but not as heavy as a 24" 2002 Ride, which he used later on. .

That sounds like the AVH Big Ride might get you closer than the current Giant Beat. The Sabian APX 24" was in the 3300 gram range, if you could find one now...

That sounds like the AVH Big Ride might get you closer than the current Giant Beat. The Sabian APX 24" was in the 3300 gram range, if you could find one now...

The Big Ride is the same weight as the GB Multi. The Big Ride is just a GB Multi with the 2002 lathing and hammering so it would match the rest of AVH's 2002's, as per his request. The GB Ride is about 400g heavier.

That can't be a 2002 though. They didn't hit the market until 1972. Zepp II was recorded over several months during their early US tours (first or second).

Depending on exactly when the session was tracked, the ride on that song will be either a Zildjian A (he used these on the first record and for a time on the first tour), but is also very likely to be a Paiste Giant Beat as his Ludwig and Paiste endorsement deals came into play around that time.

He didn't start using 2002's until the Houses Of The Holy sessions.

That can't be a 2002 though. They didn't hit the market until 1972. Zepp II was recorded over several months during their early US tours (first or second).

Depending on exactly when the session was tracked, the ride on that song will be either a Zildjian A (he used these on the first record and for a time on the first tour), but is also very likely to be a Paiste Giant Beat as his Ludwig and Paiste endorsement deals came into play around that time.

He didn't start using 2002's until the Houses Of The Holy sessions.
'72 ???
http://www.rcivistalite.com/paiste2.jpg

WRONG!,2002's DID appear in '70 BUT without serial numbers (similar to that of 602's&GB'S) 2002"s WITH serial numbers along with GB'S WITH serial numbers ("black label") didn't appear to '71 apparently&supposedly when the original GB'S were discontinued/no longer made BUT Bonham received more GB'S in 72, '73, '74, as per his Paiste agreement contract,
I myself have a '74 Paiste 24" black label" ride with serial number as well as a '73 (used to have sorry!) Paiste 24" black label GB.

That receipt was unusual to me that it had a chronological listing where most all receipts are for the day of the purchase.
Thanks for finally clearing this up for me. Why I posted this.
It only makes sense since Paiste already knew & had their new series ready just a couple years prior. Just business...

Here is proof Bonham was using that 24" Paiste Giant Beat Ride as late as 1973:

https://youtu.be/xuGBzbOt-7A

His setup at Kezar Field in 1973 clearly shows the Giant Beat Ride, and this was the same Year Houses of the Holy came out.

I think if you want that popular Bonham Ride sound, particularly on Stairway, Since I've Been Loving You, No Quarter, etc, get the 24" Paiste Giant Beat Ride, rather than a Paiste 2002.

I think if you want that popular Bonham Ride sound, particularly on Stairway, Since I've Been Loving You, No Quarter, etc, get the 24" Paiste Giant Beat Ride, rather than a Paiste 2002.

^^^^Agree! That is what I hear when I hear Bonham sound.

his switch to bright 2002's really stand out on Houses of the Holy onward. Listen to the opening of Song Remains the Same.

The Big Ride is the same weight as the GB Multi. The Big Ride is just a GB Multi with the 2002 lathing and hammering so it would match the rest of AVH's 2002's, as per his request. The GB Ride is about 400g heavier.

The AVH 2002 Big Ride is not the same as a 24" Giant Beat.

I have both, and the Big Ride has the 2002 characteristics the GB doesn't, and also a different bell.
The lathing and hammering are also different.
The AVH ride is also brighter, by more than a little bit, and the stick sound is more clear.

One thing they do have in common, is the mid range tone after the initial strike when crashed.

The AVH 2002 Big Ride is not the same as a 24" Giant Beat.

I have both, and the Big Ride has the 2002 characteristics the GB doesn't, and also a different bell.
The lathing and hammering are also different.
The AVH ride is also brighter, by more than a little bit, and the stick sound is more clear.

One thing they do have in common, is the mid range tone after the initial strike when crashed.

Yes, I have both as well and they are different from one another. All I was saying is that they are basically the same blank, but the GB gets the GB lathing, hammering g, and finish and the Big Ride gets the 2002 lathing, hammering, and finish

Back