Larry's Snare Giveaway Pt 2: The Fallout

I totally think it should go to that really deserving South African guy who sent you the PM.

Kits are not cheap in 3rd world countries. And from what I hear hes playing on a snare that came with his cheap and nasty Chinese kit. The kind where there are no snare wires on the outside of the reso head, but are actually bolted to the inside of the drum and press down onto the velum. ---Insert gasping emoji here---.

To clear up any misunderstanding, I am that poor South Africa. And I would love the snare. I have taken up a job in a second hand music store to get staff discount and I am still struggling.

You have my vote.. but my vote doesn't count in this.. sorry :) good luck..

I totally think it should go to that really deserving South African guy who sent you the PM.

Kits are not cheap in 3rd world countries. And from what I hear hes playing on a snare that came with his cheap and nasty Chinese kit. The kind where there are no snare wires on the outside of the reso head, but are actually bolted to the inside of the drum and press down onto the velum. ---Insert gasping emoji here---.

To clear up any misunderstanding, I am that poor South Africa. And I would love the snare. I have taken up a job in a second hand music store to get staff discount and I am still struggling.

With all of those tears you'll rust the drum.

Seems like a few here would complain, if they were given a used snare, if it came with a few scratches on it. You lads continue to share your kind offerings and ignore those who don't understand. Seems to me to be a first reason to be eliminated.

Seems like a few here would complain, if they were given a used snare, if it came with a few scratches on it. You lads continue to share your kind offerings and ignore those who don't understand. Seems to me to be a first reason to be eliminated.

Ya I don't get it. This is major generous for these guys to do what they do.

Those are some awesome drums being given away out of sheer generosity!

Well I already gave away my kits except my Lil Safari kit. But I've been saving for my dream kit-about $3,500 to be exact so well on my way. However my eldest daughter and her husband have incurred a number of costly projects-pine beetles killed trees beside their home, electrical issues, and need termite protection. They've been saving to address the dead pines when the electrical issues popped up-my daughter is freaking. So it's Christmas and I decided to give away my money saved for my dream drum kit to them for said expenses-so it's sort of like giving away a drum kit. Already told them and they were ecstatic-told them the money is a gift and go ahead and take care of all projects-it still may cost them a few hundred. She thanked me for the peace of mind-told her was paying it forward from those who have helped me. Man you don't know how much I've been biting at the bit to buy my drum kit, but this far exceeds the joy from that. So now back to saving for my dream kit-which dreaming and saving is half the fun ;).

So now back to saving for my dream kit-which dreaming and saving is half the fun ;).

Ain't it the truth? Plus, you never know - they might have saved you from buying the wrong "dream kit." It all comes out in the wash!

Well I already gave away my kits except my Lil Safari kit. But I've been saving for my dream kit-about $3,500 to be exact so well on my way. However my eldest daughter and her husband have incurred a number of costly projects-pine beetles killed trees beside their home, electrical issues, and need termite protection. They've been saving to address the dead pines when the electrical issues popped up-my daughter is freaking. So it's Christmas and I decided to give away my money saved for my dream drum kit to them for said expenses-so it's sort of like giving away a drum kit. Already told them and they were ecstatic-told them the money is a gift and go ahead and take care of all projects-it still may cost them a few hundred. She thanked me for the peace of mind-told her was paying it forward from those who have helped me. Man you don't know how much I've been biting at the bit to buy my drum kit, but this far exceeds the joy from that. So now back to saving for my dream kit-which dreaming and saving is half the fun ;).

Haven't given away any drums yet, but thinking about the old CB kit out in the garage. I'm trying to find some cheap hardware to go along with it so who ever ends up with it won't have to go searching for anything. My other kit is a PDP CX that I bought used a couple of years ago. I love that kit and don't foresee ever buying another.

But, the house is now over 20 years old and things are starting to break down, the 15 y/o is playing high school ball, and the 23 y/o is having problems paying his student loan (poor paying job). It seems like it's always something that prevents paying for my hobby. But that's okay. Their needs will always come first. It makes it more special when I DO find some deal on a used piece of hardware, etc. The only thing I have that was ever bought new was a throne and sticks.

Kits are not cheap in 3rd world countries.

I understand the sales-pitch angle and rhetoric, but South Africa is not considered a third-world country to begin with. Third-world countries are not developed like SA. Plus. that cold-war economic classification hasn't been used since the 80's.

Don't want to be a wet blanket and continue with my opinion of these give-aways...":p

I understand the sales-pitch angle and rhetoric, but South Africa is not considered a third-world country to begin with. Third-world countries are not developed like SA. Plus. that cold-war economic classification hasn't been used since the 80's.

Don't want to be a wet blanket and continue with my opinion of these give-aways...":p

My apologies. I was not aware of that.
I doubt you could be a wet blanket about the give aways though. There is nothing negative to say about anothers generosity. It's inspiring.

My apologies. I was not aware of that.
I doubt you could be a wet blanket about the give aways though. There is nothing negative to say about anothers generosity. It's inspiring.

If someone gives something away in hopes of receiving more in return, it's not really a blessed and selfless act as it sounds. I'm probably beating a dead horse (haven't fully read the threads) and I apologize for the cynicism, but that's just how I see it. Not looking to offend people.

I'm a 16 year old drummer from Ohio and being new to the forum i figured id reply to this to try my luck.
To be honest i don't really know how to persuade people that well so instead ill just talk more about my drumming life so far. At the age of 10 my middle school band allowed us to pick an instrument to try. my choice was to try trombone because our teacher required we have at least a year of piano, because mallets. after a year of playing trombone i wanted to break the thing over a chair. So i sought out a new instrument. i begged and pleaded with my teacher until she allowed me to take lessons from a local teacher and in turn she allowed me to join the percussion.
I immediately fell in love with the feel of playing a drum. Once that started i pestered my dad for over a year to locate a set off of craigslist. eventually my dad located a beat up Ludwig rocker set for about $150. We drove over two states to get that set, a set i still have. being that i didn't have much money i used stock heads used sticks and crap hardware but i still treated that set as ive it were a $1,000 set. shortly after that i joined our school marching band as a bass drummer. i stayed on that for two years until our snare drum player left for college. And with that i became our bands one and only snare drum player.
During this time my parents informed me on a cold December day that they would be getting a divorce and moving into separate houses. they said that me and my little sister would switch off with each parent every week. this meant that i would only be able to use my drum set every other week. So from that point on i saved every little cent i could get my hands on, and off i set looking everywhere for a new drum set.
Now that i had prior knowledge of a good set vs. a bad set i waited patiently for a good deal to come along on a nice set. Late one night while i was working on an essay for god knows what i started procrastinating and i pulled up craigslist. and there it was, a post that was only about an hour old was a $500 Ludwig standard set complete with cymbals and everything. i could buy that thing fast enough. after buying the set i spent over a week cleaning every shell with toothbrushes and q-tips.
that was about 5 months ago. i have loved the set and hope to add to my drum collection. I know when people give away drums they have a hard time giving away drums to younger high school kids but i can assure you that with such a nice snare i would take care of that better then anything else i own.
But at the end of the day if you've read all the way to this point i'm happy you at least listened to my story. I'm so glad that i joined a percussion area.
I also don't really know how to end this so ill just say merry Christmas everyone!

I'd love to have a snare like that to record some brushwork on!

Put me in the running!

If I win, I'll post something online to give away as well.

Last edited:
Is anyone else surprised at what someone trying to be nice has brought out in people.. or at least made them show it. Kind of shocked today.

If someone gives something away in hopes of receiving more in return, it's not really a blessed and selfless act as it sounds. I'm probably beating a dead horse (haven't fully read the threads) and I apologize for the cynicism, but that's just how I see it. Not looking to offend people.

Not looking to offend people. But I'll join Johno in calling into question the actions of anyone on the forum looking to spread a little cheer by twisting their motives for displaying an act of kindness into something selfish and sinister anyway?

You guys are too much.

It speaks volumes to the character of Mike and Larry that they've been happy to let these little digs slide right by them. Personally I resent seeing two guys I like and respect immensely being called out for nothing more than attempting to provide a charitable act and display a little kindness.

Hopefully the sheer misery of a couple isn't nearly as infectious as the goodwill of a couple of others around here. God help us all if it is.

You'll get your dream kit! The way I see it, you know the hunt is certainly as fun as the catch so you are golden ;-)

A noble thing you are doing, kudos. Family first !

As for the haters who's posts I have read diagonally if at all, well haters gonna hate. And the caravan passes through while the dogs bark.

I hope the snare goes to a deserving fellow, groove the sh*# out of it.

Great snare, I regret throwing mine it in the deal when I sold my Pearl kit.

And yes, this is a friday tipsy post.

Have a great weekend !

Last edited:
It speaks volumes to the character of Mike and Larry that they've been happy to let these little digs slide right by them. Personally I resent seeing two guys I like and respect immensely being called out for nothing more than attempting to provide a charitable act and display a little kindness.
I couldn't agree more! I'm only just catching up with this thread, & I'm saddened to find negatives flying around. I think I've got to know Mike & Larry fairly well over the years here, & I know there's only the best of positive motivations at play.

Hopefully the sheer misery of a couple isn't nearly as infectious as the goodwill of a couple of others around here. God help us all if it is.

I'm only just catching up with this thread, & I'm saddened to find negatives flying around.
Thanks for having mine and Larry's backs guys. Much appreciated :)

It's a little amusing, really, to see this reaction since I couldn't be further from someone looking for blessings, and if the pay-back gawds are so inclined to shower me with pretty virgins feeding me peeled grapes while fanning me with giant banana leaves, then who the hell am I to turn away such glory? Bring it on!

Seriously though, this is still very much Larry's gig. If he hadn't awarded me with one of his drums, I wouldn't be giving this away here. A little perspective is in order. I'm still a heathen. So shoot me.

Anyway, I'm a little late (it's Saturday morning). I forgot I had band practice tonight, and just got home.

Now down to business:

I put together my list of potentials and got them all entered into my little Excel spreadsheet and ran 20,000 iterations of my faux Nate Silver hocus pocus, so I had a pretty good idea of who was going to win this snare.

But wouldn't you know it; some super left field entry comes outta nowhere with a tale that simply resonated with me. How do you fight that? You don't. I didn't.

So spreadsheets, post counts, and age-old wisdom be damned, I gotta do like Larry and just pick the one that seemed right to me.

Congratulations, everletty, you win!

Personally I resent seeing two guys I like and respect immensely being called out for nothing more than attempting to provide a charitable act and display a little kindness.

Well said.

So spreadsheets, post counts, and age-old wisdom be damned, I gotta do like Larry and just pick the one that seemed right to me.

Congratulations, everletty, you win!

Congratulations everletty, you lucky duck!

Back