Sabian HHX Ozone crash 16 or 18?

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I have a pretty straight forward cymbal setup and would like to add something a bit more modern sounding to it. Anybody using one of these Sabian Ozone HHX crashes and can you recommend whether I'd be better served with a 16 or 18? Or is there another similar cymbal by another brand that might interest me?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

The HHX Ozone 18 is an amazing cymbal, however I've never seen or heard the 16 inch version in person.

Sabian have recently been offering Ozone cymbals in their other ranges - the sound files sound good, but, again I've never seen them in person so I can't comment on how good they are. Also Stagg have a few ozone type cymbals in their Sensa range, but from experience I know you MUST hear them in person as their sound can vary (and their online sound files are useless!). , I believe Paiste have made a few recently but I'm unsure of which ranges - PST 5 or 7 maybe?

The HHX Evolution has longer sustain than the HHX. I've heard both 16 and 18 Evolution Ozones and they are both nice, but very different. The 18 is buttery smooth and while it sounds more like a china, it doesn't rip you out of your seat. The 16 is brighter and shorter and a bit more harsh, but still smoother than a china. With china, I'm referring to a more Wuhan type sound and not Turkish.

I don't have a HHX but I do have the 16" AAX Ozone and a 10" AAX Ozone Splash. They sound great to my ears as trashy, contrasting, short-wash effects cymbals. I'd probably like an HHX version even better.

18" all the way. I second the HHX Evolution; marvelous, versatile cymbal.

The HHX Evolution has longer sustain than the HHX. I've heard both 16 and 18 Evolution Ozones and they are both nice, but very different. The 18 is buttery smooth and while it sounds more like a china, it doesn't rip you out of your seat. The 16 is brighter and shorter and a bit more harsh, but still smoother than a china. With china, I'm referring to a more Wuhan type sound and not Turkish.

Good description.
I find the Evolution Ozones to be me most palatable of Sabian's but if I were to add a full time holéd cymbal to my setup it'd be a Meinl Byzance 18" Vintage Trash. Really smooth and they sound less gross than a lot of Sabian Ozones do to me. Also a good option is the Zildjian A Custom EFX crashes for a much brighter timbre (and they'll fit in better volume-wise if you already have mostly typically-weighted cymbals).

Some excellent observations from the membership. I've listened to all the above, in sound files only, and am leaning towards the 18" HHX Evolution. This video brings the best explanation as to why I would go this way. Very versatile. I'm trying to answer one question.......can I get one of these in a natural finish as opposed to the brilliant? If so it's probably a go. Meinl listed above is still in consideration. I don't care for the Zildjian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDJZ8ih9N6o

Gotta run, work a day world. Thanks everyone.

18 as well.
I got an ozone 16 when they were on sale at $60 ( I think they were xs20) . Wanted an 18 but couldn't pass up the cheap 16"!!!!!

Another vote for 18". I had a 16" Ozone and sold it, just wasn't for me. I think the 18s sound better.

I just put through an order for a box set with the free promotional 18" Ozone. I hunted around and was able to get a 20% off $899 cyber week coupon. Got the whole box for $719.20 free shipping. Never ordered from these guys before but the order went through with the discount. Hope they show up . hehe

www.cymbalfusion.com

I just put through an order for a box set with the free promotional 18" Ozone. I hunted around and was able to get a 20% off $899 cyber week coupon. Got the whole box for $719.20 free shipping. Never ordered from these guys before but the order went through with the discount. Hope they show up . hehe

www.cymbalfusion.com

Ordered that exact box set for a worship team drum set a few years back. What awesome, incredible cymbals all around. Try to get the 18" crash to match, you'll have an unbelievably sweet-sounding set of cymbals. Nice snag.

Funny you should mention you'd want them in natural, as the Evolution only comes in brilliant. The hats and ozone are glazed and super shiny with the remainder of the set unglazed. The unglazed ones tarnish super fast and will dull out in less than a month, if you let them. I polish mine with car wax, but don't touch the bells. That's been turning the bells super dull and dark over time, which I'm diggin'

The Meinl Byzance would have been a good choice too. They were both on my list as well. There's such a variety to the Byzance series it gets tough to settle on which series.

You'll be happy with the Evos. Good price too. Oh, and pick up the 17" crash if you can too. Those are sweeeeeeet. The Evos are designed to be different from each other, yet complementary and the 17 has a different sound characteristic than 16 or 18. Really tough to say which I like more.....all of them!

Ordered that exact box set for a worship team drum set a few years back. What awesome, incredible cymbals all around. Try to get the 18" crash to match, you'll have an unbelievably sweet-sounding set of cymbals. Nice snag.

Great to hear you really like them. With Christmas coming the 18" will have to wait. You mentioned worship team, not to sound like a heathen but I notice Sabian have a "Praise" box set too. What are those? Some type of distinct sound?

Funny you should mention you'd want them in natural, as the Evolution only comes in brilliant. The hats and ozone are glazed and super shiny with the remainder of the set unglazed. The unglazed ones tarnish super fast and will dull out in less than a month, if you let them. I polish mine with car wax, but don't touch the bells. That's been turning the bells super dull and dark over time, which I'm diggin'

The Meinl Byzance would have been a good choice too. They were both on my list as well. There's such a variety to the Byzance series it gets tough to settle on which series.

You'll be happy with the Evos. Good price too. Oh, and pick up the 17" crash if you can too. Those are sweeeeeeet. The Evos are designed to be different from each other, yet complementary and the 17 has a different sound characteristic than 16 or 18. Really tough to say which I like more.....all of them!

Natural would have matched the rest of my older Zildjian and Paiste cymbals a little better if mixed together or if I had bought the 18" ozone separately. I'll take your advice and keep an eye out for tarnish. I like the funky bell look too. :)

I have one of my Zildjian A's (18" med/thin crash that I use as a ride too ) targeted to be part of this setup. The rest of my cymbals will move over to the Tama B/B gig kit. Can't wait to try these HHX's though.

Great to hear you really like them. With Christmas coming the 18" will have to wait. You mentioned worship team, not to sound like a heathen but I notice Sabian have a "Praise" box set too. What are those? Some type of distinct sound?

Seems like praise sets are a thing these days. Usually a package of high-pitched, glassy-sounding cymbals, marketed to make quick sales to churches and worship leaders ("oh hey, let's get this set, it's specifically for praise music!")

The cymbals in the Praise sets sing like angels.

For metal, you'd probably want the Criticize set.
Those cymbals scream like banshees.

Seems like praise sets are a thing these days. Usually a package of high-pitched, glassy-sounding cymbals, marketed to make quick sales to churches and worship leaders ("oh hey, let's get this set, it's specifically for praise music!")

I get it.....marketing peeps don't miss a pitch.

The cymbals in the Praise sets sing like angels.

For metal, you'd probably want the Criticize set.
Those cymbals scream like banshees.

LOL, You're too funny wildbill. Maybe the "Sinner box set"?

I have both. the 18" is definitely huskier, more toward China territory, while the 16" speaks quickly and gets out of the way.

Dan

Back