A 26" SKB bass drum case question vs. curved spurs question.

Road Bull

Silver Member
I recently picked up a new SKB hard case for my Vistalite kit with a 26" bass drum. Up until then, I had been transporting everything in Protection Racket soft cases. I like the PR cases a lot, but I cringe sometimes when people "help out". So, I picked up one of the most expensive cases that can be ordered. Yaaaay...

My question is rather specific. I have a 26" Ludwig Bass with the traditional curved spurs. I suppose this might be the same situation with anyone with SKB hard cases and Ludwig curved spurs though...

Do you remove your spurs for transport? This seems like an unnecessary pain in the ass, however, the overall fit seems a bit off if you just leave them in. I have used it a total of once and removed it out of an abundance of caution.

What say ye?

Oh and, Happy Thanksgiving all!

I had to remove my spurs. They stuck out pretty far.

Yeah, it seems like I can 'fit' it in there, and get the lid on no problem, but... It just seems like it was not designed with the spurs in mind. I even tried placing the bass drum in the case so that one spur was positioned in the 'dead space' corner, but even then it is a bit of a stretch.

Yeah, it seems like I can 'fit' it in there, and get the lid on no problem, but... It just seems like it was not designed with the spurs in mind. I even tried placing the bass drum in the case so that one spur was positioned in the 'dead space' corner, but even then it is a bit of a stretch.

Yeah, what I was doing when I was casing the drum, I'd just mark the spur - maybe use a hose clamp - and just insert them to the mark when I got to the gig. But now that I drive a Ford Flex, I don't use cases anymore, so I just leave them on the drum ;)

I'd say as long as it fits in there with the spurs on, leave them on the drum. Fitting the drum in the case is the only issue, no?

I'd say as long as it fits in there with the spurs on, leave them on the drum. Fitting the drum in the case is the only issue, no?

They distort the shape of the case. Now, it's a big case, and if there was a SKB hard case made for flexing, the 26"x14" has a bit of wiggle room. I might be fine to go either way, but I just don't want to prematurely wear the case lining on the inside, or possible have this area create a stress crack on the Vistalite around the spur if something were to hit it, or it lands wrong from a slip.

I suppose it's not THAT big a deal to pop em out and in. I have marked them right and left and marked their set height with a black sharpie. (It comes right off with a little elbow grease.) I get a fair amount of practice setting them up and breaking them down. I can't imagine that it would take me too much longer to add this into the mix.

They distort the shape of the case. Now, it's a big case, and if there was a SKB hard case made for flexing, the 26"x14" has a bit of wiggle room. I might be fine to go either way, but I just don't want to prematurely wear the case lining on the inside, or possible have this area create a stress crack on the Vistalite around the spur if something were to hit it, or it lands wrong from a slip.

I suppose it's not THAT big a deal to pop em out and in. I have marked them right and left and marked their set height with a black sharpie. (It comes right off with a little elbow grease.) I get a fair amount of practice setting them up and breaking them down. I can't imagine that it would take me too much longer to add this into the mix.

Yeah, I can relate. I play a 26 with curved spurs, so I ordered a 28" Beato Pro 1 bag so I could keep the spurs on, but with an ATLAS mount on the drum as well for a cymbal tilter, it's a really tight squeeze. I also know that it's not much work or very time consuming to take the spurs on and off, but I just resist it for some reason, I guess because I ordered an over-sized bag specifically for that purpose.

Yeah, I can relate. I play a 26 with curved spurs, so I ordered a 28" Beato Pro 1 bag so I could keep the spurs on, but with an ATLAS mount on the drum as well for a cymbal tilter, it's a really tight squeeze. I also know that it's not much work or very time consuming to take the spurs on and off, but I just resist it for some reason, I guess because I ordered an over-sized bag specifically for that purpose.

Haha.. I hear you. It was a complete PITA finding a 26" SKB hard case. A 28" would be a soul crusher, and probably wallet crusher. And at these large sizes, there are not a ton of options. I could squeeze them into my Protection Racket soft cases with the spurs. It was padded and I could squeeze it in with the spurs on. I just wanted a little more protection for the Vistalite

Haha.. I hear you. It was a complete PITA finding a 26" SKB hard case. A 28" would be a soul crusher, and probably wallet crusher. And at these large sizes, there are not a ton of options. I could squeeze them into my Protection Racket soft cases with the spurs. It was padded and I could squeeze it in with the spurs on. I just wanted a little more protection for the Vistalite

Yah, no doubt. I'd be more than a little leery of carting a Vistalite in a bag, especially one that size. Hear ya on the options in large sizes too. That's why I ended up getting the Beatos- Fred will make you anything you want (he put an 18" hi hat pocket on the side of my 24" cymbal bag). I just couldn't find a 28" bag from the companies I was originally looking at.

Yah, no doubt. I'd be more than a little leery of carting a Vistalite in a bag, especially one that size. Hear ya on the options in large sizes too. That's why I ended up getting the Beatos- Fred will make you anything you want (he put an 18" hi hat pocket on the side of my 24" cymbal bag). I just couldn't find a 28" bag from the companies I was originally looking at.

Well, in theory, Vistalite, mine are reissues, are as sturdy as wood. But, I still wanted some extra protection from tired hands and do-right bystanders that want to "help. That, and it rains a fair amount here. I get on the help when I see them about to set my soft cases down in the rain. The plastic is more forgiving in that regard.

Back