Experience with drum thrones

Man I never heard that. All my RnS throne tops feel like the day I got them.
One tip: don't fart on your throne. That methane gas breaks down foam rubber over time lol.

Hahah yeah it may be the methane :)

Hahah yeah it may be the methane :)

The Roc-N-Soc has one major difference from the others in that it has a cloth/permeable/plush top. Bad news if you sweat a lot down there. Worse news if you like to play naked (set a towel down first).

Aside from that, I'd venture a guess that most vendors use the exact same foam from the exact same source, and that degassing and loss of elasticity are more dependent on a bad batch Alibaba foam than from one throne manufacturer to another.

I own and use both the Pearl and Gibraltar (but I have the saddle style seat on the Gibraltar instead). I'd happily recommend both. Both well built, comfortable and will stand up to the rigours of constant set up/tear down.

Settled on a Gibraltar 9608OS (2T) Saddle Throne not long ago. Best built and most comfortable drum-throne I have ever experienced! The two-tone suede-like saddle top is killer!

Agreed. It's like sitting in a sofa. An utter joy to one's arse!!

However, what I don't like about it is the size of the saddle seat. The thing is friggen' HUGE. Total overkill and I find transporting the thing totally impractical.

I would have almost guessed that my Roc-N-Soc had an inflated plastic bladder under the foam inside the seat. It has such a different feel (firmer and bouncier) than any other throne I've ever owned.

I was intrigued by the super thick Pork Pie throne until I sat on one. If you sit on the edge of it, the foam wants to fold over. I didn't like it at all.

The OP must be getting frustrated- he said that he wasn't looking at Roc-N-Soc, and half the posts on this thread have been about Roc-N-Soc, lol.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I really appreciate all of the input. I think I will get the Gibraltar seat, it felt the comfiest for me out of the three I tried, although I might go back to try them again before I buy just so I make the best decision. I would look at a roc-n-soc throne, but the closest store that stocks them is a good 5-6 hour drive away, which seems pointless when I can just choose one at a store that's a 20 minute drive. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get it, which probably will be in a couple of weeks time. Cheers everyone!

Thanks everyone for your replies, I really appreciate all of the input. I think I will get the Gibraltar seat, it felt the comfiest for me out of the three I tried, although I might go back to try them again before I buy just so I make the best decision. I would look at a roc-n-soc throne, but the closest store that stocks them is a good 5-6 hour drive away, which seems pointless when I can just choose one at a store that's a 20 minute drive. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get it, which probably will be in a couple of weeks time. Cheers everyone!

Not to try to persuade you one way or another, but the internet is full of clues as to which thrones 'not' to buy (example provided). You're fortunate that your top three contenders are not amongst the undesirables.

Any one of them should do well. The Gibraltar 9600's are well made.

wiS6V1v.jpg

If you can try out a Yamaha DS950. It's SO comfortable, but then I hate the typical tractor style seat...the little banana boat in the front makes my junk numb. lol

Not to try to persuade you one way or another, but the internet is full of clues as to which thrones 'not' to buy (example provided). You're fortunate that your top three contenders are not amongst the undesirables.

Any one of them should do well. The Gibraltar 9600's are well made.
Aye-Yi-Yi! I pity the poor bugger who was the recipient of that!

Another one to consider is the Ahead spinal G (ergo) throne. I've had one for about two years now and it's one of the more comfortable thrones I've owned or used..

One throne to rule them all. Sorry couldn't resist.

To you all who are gigging regularly, how do you geek your throne around? Break it down and pack it or just carry it separate. Most guys I know do the latter.

I've been eyeing the TAMA Ergo Rider, it seems it would be easier to transport than some of the others, and felt great.

I've been playing all my life, and I still have not treated my butt and back to a really good throne. I'm way overdue.

I've been playing all my life, and I still have not treated my butt and back to a really good throne. I'm way overdue.
Do it! You won't regret it, and do look at saddle-seat models.

After trying a lot of thrones I finally bought a piano/artist bench. It's a bit of a drag to transport but it's easily the most comfortable throne I've ever used.

I had a Pearl throne back in the 80's with a cloth seat that I miss.
All the new stuff is vinyl ,doesn't breath well and gives me the butt sweats.

I had a Pearl throne back in the 80's with a cloth seat that I miss.
All the new stuff is vinyl ,doesn't breath well and gives me the butt sweats.
You'd love the Gibraltar 9608OS (2T)! Plush suede-like cloth seat!

Back