Experience with drum thrones

RaxCity

I am going to get a good quality drum throne for the first time in my life, and I really want something comfortable that will last me a long time. I have gone in to some music stores and I have tried lots of different seats. I've narrowed it down to three options:

- Gibraltar 9608SFT
- Pearl D1000N
- Tama 1st Chair Round Rider

I like all of these seats but I can't decide between them. I want to know your experiences with these seats so I can decide which one I want to buy. I am leaning towards the Gibraltar right now, but I want to know which of these is the most reliable, built the best, solid etc. Also keep in mind I live in New Zealand so we don't have brands like roc-n-soc, pork pie, orange county etc, so please don't recommend those brands. Cheers!

Also keep in mind I live in New Zealand so we don't have brands like roc-n-soc, pork pie, orange county etc, so please don't recommend those brands. Cheers!

Roc-n-Soc.

I've had the stock non-nitro for ~2 years and love it.

Did you not catch the part where I said we don't have roc-n-soc seats where I live? Haha cheers for the reply anyway, I would consider them if we had them but I can't try them before I buy them, which is why I listed some that I have tried.

Sorry mate, I've been using the same Roc-n-Soc since 2005 or so, so I can't recommend anything else! Whichever of the brands you mentioned most closely duplicates the Roc-n-Soc is the one you should get! lol

I've been using a Tama Ergo-Ride for years now, so I think the 1st Chair is a good choice. Haven't tried either the Pearl or the Gibraltar but I'm sure they are good as well – honestly, none of them look drastically better so you might just get the one you think looks nicest.

All three have great user reviews from what I've seen.

Did you not catch the part where I said we don't have roc-n-soc seats where I live? Haha cheers for the reply anyway, I would consider them if we had them but I can't try them before I buy them, which is why I listed some that I have tried.

I have learned to pretty much ignore anything that anyone states as fact these days. It's a burden I've learned to bear. When people get pissed, I generally fall back on buying them a beer.

http://www.re-percussion.co.nz/joomla/index.php

They'll have Roc-n-Soc.

The Tama is the one you want. They use a really great foam that doesn't lose its elasticity like the Roc 'n' Soc does.

The Pearl thrones are too "springy". I don't know how anyone can use them.

DW makes a nice throne with excellent cushioning too.

Still, my vote is for the Tama, although I suggest you consider the Ergo-Rider Trio: http://www.tama.com/product/hardware_data.php?year=2016&area=2&id=121

121.png

I have 2 of the Pearl thrones. One with the spring under the seat and one without. I prefer the one without the spring, but the other one is pretty decent as well. Theyre both quite comfortable and seem to be holding up well after a couple years of use.

Get one with a backrest. Your back will thank you years down the road.

I have two Roc-n-Soc's, the Pearl D1000 you speak of, and in the past have had DW's and Yamaha's top flight thrones, and they're all great. I recommend the Pearl. But if you can check out a Rock-n-Soc, do that first - the prices are all about the same.

The Roc-n-Soc I recommend is the one that has the regular spindle-thread height adjustment. I like the feature of the hydraulic level control, but friends who've had them complained that over time, the hydraulic control breaks. Spindle's you can set and forget.

Im a hydraulic fan. My Tama first chair is hydraulic, my roc-n-soc is hydraulic and my Pork pie is the regular spindle style. The hydraulics are rock solid. The seat can still rotate, but it doesnt adjust height or rock back and forth making little squeeks that the mics will pick up while recording. I have had the same RnS hydraulic for 15-20 years and the hydraulic is good as new.

So my recommendation is to buy a hydraulic throne. I dont care which one, just make it hydraulic.

Settled on a Gibraltar 9608OS (2T) Saddle Throne not long ago. Best built and most comfortable drum-throne I have ever experienced! The two-tone suede-like saddle top is killer!

picture.php

I have used a roc-n-soc for about a year and a half now.. loved it at first but after about 8 months the foam started breaking down and doesn't have near the cushion it used to. I do play 3+ hours per night though so not sure how long they are supposed to last..

I have used a roc-n-soc for about a year and a half now.. loved it at first but after about 8 months the foam started breaking down and doesn't have near the cushion it used to. I do play 3+ hours per night though so not sure how long they are supposed to last..

Hasn't happened with my memory foam pork pie! 3 to 4 times a week, average 2-4 hours sit time.

I've had that Pearl, they are fine but do get a little hard after awhile. The Pearl is likely the lightest of those 3 you listed, so if you are gigging the weight can be a factor in choice (for me).

I also have a DW5000 or 3000 and they are excellent, very comfortable.

I've been using the same Tama tractor seat with backrest and 4 legs for over 12 years. It's heavy as hell, but it's one thing I've never had to worry about.

Man I never heard that. All my RnS throne tops feel like the day I got them.
One tip: don't fart on your throne. That methane gas breaks down foam rubber over time lol.

I bought a new throne on Tuesday, went to the drum shop tried a few things and walked out with the $100 cloth top Tama 1st Chair. They also carry Roc & Soc and I know everyone raves about them but it wasn't as comfortable to me. I tend to move around, lean forward or back depending on what I'm playing and the "donut hole" kinda locked me in place... some may like that I didn't.

I'd say figure out the features you want then hunt around. I knew I wanted spindle, not hydraulic... don't like the bounce and they can leak over time, and "post style" with clamps like my 15 year old Gibraltar slip so not one of those. Wanted a round seat, not tractor style... and so, what's in stock that meets those features? From there it was easy to sit on 'em all and pick one.

I have had my Tama first chair for about 8 years and I am not a little boy . I play for a bit every day. so if you want the heavy test, I reccommend the Tama.

Back