How Can You Sell a High-End Kit When Everyone is Broke?

Bad Tempered Clavier

Silver Member
Hi all,

Any and all advice on the following will be most welcome.

In a nutshell, I bought a Yamaha RC brand new about 5--6 years ago for about 2,300 GBP. This was the from the last generation of Japanese RCs before the big recent relaunch etc.

These days a brand new (4-piece shell pack) RC goes for around 2,700--2,900 GBP in my neck of the woods. I would happily part with this kit and a set of Hardcase cases for a grand (1,000 GBP): However ...

Having had a look at the local selling pages, I have seen similar high-end Yamahas (older RCs, MCs, MCAs etc) in what appear to be decent condition sit on the shelf for weeks and weeks at crazy low prices (i.e. down to 750 GBP) and no one will touch them.

My question is this: what can you do with a high-end kit when no one will buy it? I want to get rid of it as it's just not getting played (lack of time, blah), but it would be stupid to let it go for only a couple of hundred ... is it worth waiting until the economy has picked up a bit, or are these just not desirable kits any more?

Attachments

• 20140819_141844 copy.jpg
    20140819_141844 copy.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 1,042
  • 20140819_142215 copy.jpg
    20140819_142215 copy.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 1,040
A long shot but see if a local school with limited budget would have a need for it. If you aren't trying to make a ton they may help you out. And if you have space store it in the cases and wait a while.

Try parting it out on eBay or similar. There's always someone looking for a second bass, a floor tom for the left side, a replacement tom, etc. im actually kinda surprised you aren't selling it. Every time I see a nice kit listed for its true value, it's gone in no time. It's the over priced ones that don't move.

My guess is the kit isn't old enough to be vintage, and not in the "micro" sizes everyone is gravitating to these days. Things may change drastically two years from now with the next fad or a change in the economy. If you've lost the zeal for playing, it's one thing, but avaibility in time is usually always changing.

I sold a nice premier kit and 8 custom A cymbals years ago, because I didn't have time and also needed the cash. A year later, I was kicking myself and looking for a replacement. I finally (10 years later) got a decent set of cymbals, but my kit is still a far cry from my old Premiers. I wouldn't sell, unless you just aren't into drums anymore. Just my take. Good luck.

Unless you are really in need of the money I'd keep them. I can't tell you how much I regret selling my two classic kits years ago.

It's all about the market... the same as selling a house, or car, et cetera. How quickly something sells, and how much people are willing to pay for it, is determined by the market that you are selling it to.

I don't know your area, but if there aren't a lot of drummers, or musicians, or the average income is a bit lower, that could be why these sets aren't moving.

Sites like eBay or Reverb might help connect you to a wider audience.

I do a little bit of antique collecting and selling on the side... Especially tintypes and daguerreotypes. There are some areas, like upstate NY, where I can find really nice pieces in excellent condition for very cheap (under $20), then there's Boston where OK ones start at $50. Not to give away any secrets, but if I buy a bunch of tintypes in NY, I can then sell the ones I don't want at a higher price when I get home.

It sounds like you might be in the opposite situation, where you bought something at the top of its value, but are trying to sell it to an area where it isn't as valued or appreciated. Check online, it may be that you are just looking at the wrong market.

Having had a look at the local selling pages, I have seen similar high-end Yamahas (older RCs, MCs, MCAs etc) in what appear to be decent condition sit on the shelf for weeks and weeks at crazy low prices (i.e. down to 750 GBP) and no one will touch them.

That's normal. If the price is fair (and you know what things are worth) just wait for the right buyer.

My first drum kit was a 5-piece Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute that I bought off eBay for $900. Pristine condition - I put the first nick in the bass drum unmounting a tom to clean it. I'm not a Yamaha expert but I think the YMCAs are a bit higher-end than the RCs (maple vs. birch respectively). So 750 quid(?) actually seems a bit high (but I don't know the market outside the US).

Drums just seem to be one of those things that lose value the minute they roll off the lot. Except maybe collector's items like Craviotto snares or such.

It's a buyers market and no ones buying :-(
I've had my Premier Projector 10", 12", 13", 16", 22" up on eBay several times since March. Starting price was £450 to test the water and over time I'm now down to £325, take off the selling fees and I'd be left with under £300. Much as I need the space and much as I'm getting grief from my wife for still having it I've reached the point where I'm willing to sit it out. eBay "suggests" that similiar items sell with a start price of something like £127 which is a joke for a Finnish Birch kit from Premiers heyday when their kits while not hand made were very labour intensively produced. I've had as many as a dozen watchers at a time and someone contacted me to ask if I'd be willing to meet up to deliver about twenty miles away but still no one has bid.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I guess the issues are probably

Part of the problem to sell those drums is their size, and especially the power toms, which are out of fashion..

and

It's a buyers market and no ones buying [...] eBay "suggests" that similiar items sell with a start price of something like £127 which is a joke

BTW -- that Premier story is heartbreaking: hope that works out okay.

Think I will roll the dice and see if I can get any takers ... it's not critical that I sell them tomorrow or anything, so we'll see.

Cheers all.

So the size of your market and the state of the economy you are selling into pretty much determine your odds.

If you are not in a big hurry, let it sit out there and see if it ends up matching someone else's idea of a dream kit.

You might try adding some other things to the deal like stands, spare heads, or whatever you can come up with to sweeten the deal.

But just know its a global phenomenon right now. Everyone is broke, money is tight, good jobs are hard to come by and cash is king. Things wax and wane so if you can sit it out, let time be on your side.

Good luck!

There's a guy that's been trying to sell a 5-piece set of Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes for $2500 for a couple of years now.

http://boone.craigslist.org/msg/5674192921.html

I'm sure they sound amazing, but that's A LOT of money for most people in the area. Plus, around here bluegrass rules the roost. And, it's a small town with a crummy economy.

It's sort of like this with most of the drum sets that I have. They are actually worth MORE to me than what they are going for on the market. Here's the going market for my drums:

6-piece set of Tama Rockstarts from early 1990s: About $150-$200
5-piece set of Basix birch: About $175-$200
4-piece set of Pearl Sessions (Mario Bros. wrap): About $200-250 on a good day

Yes, they take up room, but they aren't worth selling because they are worth more to me than what they are worth on the market. It just pays to keep them. Who knows? Those drums may come back "in," and you may be sitting on something good.

Wait it out, my friend.

There's a guy that's been trying to sell a 5-piece set of Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes for $2500 for a couple of years now.

http://boone.craigslist.org/msg/5674192921.html

I'm sure they sound amazing, but that's A LOT of money for most people in the area. Plus, around here bluegrass rules the roost. And, it's a small town with a crummy economy.

The guy should break that kit up. Sell just the drums (without snare), sell the snare, sell the hardware, sell the cases. He may end up with $2000 if he does that.

I noticed they are listed in the Classified section of this forum. People look here daily. You may want to post them there.

I haven't seen or heard of a single person who has sold anything in the classified section of this forum. It's a wasteland of random posts that is completely unorganized and unsearchable.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for selling high end gear, or any gear for that matter, you just need to get nice images of the gear: preferably in the sunlight (people seem to like that), post it pretty much everywhere (craigslist, forums, Reverb, eBay, etc.) and wait. Don't try to make any package deals. People don't want package deals. Sell everything individually. You can typically price everything just a bit higher and say its "or best offer." You will sell things faster and usually net the same amount as if you were putting together the package deal.

I think the market is down on used gear,except for stuff that always increases in value, vintage Black beauties etc.

Everything else is taking a hit,even good quality U.S. gear.I am more familiar with vintage drums, and things like Camco or Gretsch Bop kits seem to be holding value but not much else.As for
modern kits it seems like Nashville Era Slingerlands and Austin Era Fibes are holding value somewhat.

If the American stuff is taking a major hit I would assume so would the high quality MIJ product also.

Right after Japanese RC's stopped production I remember some people predicted the Japanese made Rc's would go for crazy money.I seem to remember an increase
in asking prices for used RC's and remember that for awhile they did sell for more money but that seemed to level off pretty quickly.

If you don't need the money right away I would list them at what you would take in the free papers/sites and wait for that person that really wants a cherry red RC in great condition.

Otherwise if you really need the money I would sell the drums singly, as much as I hate to see that,they are yours to do with as you see fit.

Love the Rc's especially in cherry red or piano black.

I keep a simple attitude about these sorts of things: simply refuse to participate in any economic downturn. Drum sets don't sell fast. List it for what it's worth, and find another way to pay this month's bills.

There was a gent in the UK looking for an RC in the classifieds section that I pointed in the OPs direction. Unfortunately, one of the requirements was that it was Black. I hope the OP can convince him otherwise.

Back