Ginger Baker MI Clinic (thoughts?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnwGvqJtcZ0

Very unusually warm Ginger Baker footage. His playing has a really cool feel to it. I love that he seems to have two separate feels going on. He swings the shit out of his ride, but his toms and kick are lumberingly straight (in a sort of Tony Allen way).

Also (sort of cracked me up), but he's totally a gear head. Somebody asks him about his setup and he goes off about Ludwig and Zildjian like a total nerd.

It was refreshing to see this from him. I've always moved slow towards liking him, and "Beware of Mr. Baker" didn't help much, but this definitely won me over as a GB fan. I loved hearing his playing (really cool 12/8 creativity).

Anyways, I'm stoked.

He loves his Zildjians, that quote where he says a Zildjian is a cymbal for life.

Surprised Zildjian don't use that as their company motto :)

Doesn't he still use the same hats and ride from the 60's?

Strikes me as the kind of bloke that could start a row in an empty house but then again so could Buddy!

Strikes me as the kind of bloke that could start a row in an empty house.............

Now there's a new one. Absolutely love it. Stealing it as of this minute.....and have an endless supply of blokes I know who are fitting to use it on!!

Ginger is a belligerent, twisted, bitter, miserable, sour gutted, mean spirited, old bastard..........and I do love him so!! :)

But as this vid shows. Man, can he play the drums.

I've not seen this before. Thanks for putting it up.

Now there's a new one. Absolutely love it. Stealing it as of this minute.....and have an endless supply of blokes I know who are fitting to use it on!!

Ginger is a belligerent, twisted, bitter, miserable, sour gutted, mean spirited, old bastard..........and I do love him so!! :)

But as this vid shows. Man, can he play the drums.

I've not seen this before. Thanks for putting it up.

Its an Alex Ferguson quote I think. But I'm guessing football managers quotes don't travel too far. I've heard a few variations.

Doesn't he still use the same hats and ride from the 60's?

Yes same ones. For sure the 22 ride with rivets and the hats (trivia like this si in his book). Mucho patina in all the pics.
Great quote on his personality. As he says, there are many drummers, but nobody plays like he. Can hear the African influence in his upbringing instilled by Phil Seaman.

This is an excellent video of Ginger Baker if I have seen one. This is my third time watching. I prefer a more refined feel and technique, but that is not a knock on Ginger Baker. He is a creative drummer and that, to me, means more than almost any aspec. Another killer MI clinic.

Enjoyed this, thanks for sharing.

Thank you! Now discovered a new Youtube channel to subscribe to! Should keep me out of mischief while my broken wrist heals. If I can't get on the drums, at least I can watch and listen to some of the greats!!!!

I prefer a more refined feel and technique, but that is not a knock on Ginger Baker. He is a creative drummer and that, to me, means more than almost any aspec.

he gets a bit abstract to me as well .. changing tempo midstream and doing some other strange things that sound chopped up. i have heard better from mr. baker but he has always been at the top of my list.

...huh? He's playing at my Alma mater in front of alumnus.
I don't get you guys about the gear & chops thing? This is not your Guitar Center clinic guy, c'mon now; you guys ;-)...

Back