1004 4 leg ludwig bass?

Fman

After some clearing of the brain and thinking back almost 20 years ago I realized I believe it's a 1994 Ludwig kit, because of the stain color I can only find in the 94. And my time frame, I did not have the money to buy it until that time frame. In the picture here the color has faded from sunlight but thankfully has not effected the sound. I know it's a super classic but the question I have is I'm looking over their catalog and see no mention of 4 leg bass drum. Not even as an option. I did not order it, it was in already at the store. So was it possible for them to order with 4 legs? I would think most stores would have just ordered what was standard available and if something was to be added to the kit, like 4 legs that would have needed to be a special order??

Attachments

• DSC00916.JPG
    DSC00916.JPG
    333 KB · Views: 507
Hi.

As stated above, Ludwig did do the 4 leg bass drums. I have a few myself, including one so similar to yours (although Green Mist Lacquer in color) it's amazing.

Great sounding drums! I just wish I still had my long hair to go with it :)

Cheers

You got 4 spurs on those bass drums because they were of the "power" variety, meaning 2-inches deeper than the regular 14" deep. My 16x26 Ludwig from 1981 has four spurs.

In a theoretical sense, this was a good move because when you started using the Modular system with all the extra add-ons you could build, you were supplanting a lot of weight on that bass drum. Although I've never used a lot of the modular stuff, I do like the look of the 4 legs, but they're unnecessary if you don't mount anything on the bass drum, or just mount one tom or two.

Thanks for the replies. In the long run it really doesn't matter cause hey I have a drum set lol. I'm just like many other people and trying to narrow down sometime frames. One good thing is I'm the original owner so it's a little easier for me. I stopped playing because of life changes (Job/marriage/kids, etc) for almost 15 years and since things have settled down pulled them out again and took up the task of getting my skills back. Man that's rough, use it or lose it. Question on the color. I read a couple of weeks back that LW did offer the shadow blue before 1994 but have not seen any proof in any of the catalogs. Anyone have any links?
I'll tell you the power versions are nice but not nice. Tuning them is a bitch. Maybe my ears are older now.

Question on the color. I read a couple of weeks back that LW did offer the shadow blue before 1994 but have not seen any proof in any of the catalogs. Anyone have any links?

Looks a lot like "Charcoal Shadow" from the links. I had a 1997-ish Classic Maple snare in that color. It might be that your cam/lighting remove a lot of the blue.

Looks a lot like "Charcoal Shadow" from the links. I had a 1997-ish Classic Maple snare in that color. It might be that your cam/lighting remove a lot of the blue.

Yeah I know. But it's a blue set. It's the lighting and also the kit sat in my room for about 5 years with morning sun coming though the window on it. I was young and dumb and had no idea of the fading until I removed it from the room. Good thing is, I'm looking to add two more toms to the kit so I guess I can go blue or gray shadow, if I can find them lol.

Thanks for the replies. In the long run it really doesn't matter cause hey I have a drum set lol. I'm just like many other people and trying to narrow down sometime frames. One good thing is I'm the original owner so it's a little easier for me. I stopped playing because of life changes (Job/marriage/kids, etc) for almost 15 years and since things have settled down pulled them out again and took up the task of getting my skills back. Man that's rough, use it or lose it. Question on the color. I read a couple of weeks back that LW did offer the shadow blue before 1994 but have not seen any proof in any of the catalogs. Anyone have any links?
I'll tell you the power versions are nice but not nice. Tuning them is a bitch. Maybe my ears are older now.

I bought my complete Blue Shadow Super Classic kit in 1991. I still have the sale receipt somewhere.

Yeah I know. But it's a blue set. It's the lighting and also the kit sat in my room for about 5 years with morning sun coming though the window on it. I was young and dumb and had no idea of the fading until I removed it from the room. Good thing is, I'm looking to add two more toms to the kit so I guess I can go blue or gray shadow, if I can find them lol.

If that's the case I would think that the side of the shells that were away from the sunlight would still be blue. The sun can't hit every side.

Back