Dilema

Frosticles

Silver Member
Dilemma

I currently have two kits (Pearl MLX 5 Piece in Piano Black - 22x16, 13x11, 14x12, 16x16 & a Yamaha Recording Custom in Cherry - 22x16, 10x9, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16)
My dilemma is, I have been offered good money by a friend for the MLX Shells. I do love this kit though but it is heavy. This is my main gigging kit. The Yamaha is surrounded by cotton wool & I am extremely possessive over it. I baulk at the idea of using it to gig with & also, the majority of gigs we play are kit share. If we headline then we supply the shells. I won't be comfortable with it.
I am "Tempted" to buy a gigging kit of lesser quality than the MLX & would certainly be looking at second hand. This is the conundrum though.

Thoughts anyone? I play in two Punk Bands.

Kind regards, Kevin

Last edited:
Just because your friend offered, it does not mean you must accept. This deal puts you in the very position you wanted to avoid, hence the reason for owning the two kits in the first place.

Your secondary option of buying another kit with the sale proceeds, invites the hassle of buying a used "lesser quality" kit- the very same hassle your friend seeks to avoid, which is probably why your friend did not look far for the used kit he would like to purchase- and results in you now gigging with a lesser kit than you originally had.

Tell your friend "thanks, but the kit is not for sale."

Having an interest in the MLX drums myself (I own a 1984 MIJ kit), I have noticed a general trend both here and on PDF where people lament, "That's the one kit I wish I'd never sold." Besides, given the sizes and shell compositions of your MLX's and RC's, you're definitely covering different ground there (i.e. It's not like you have essentially two kits that are the same and you want to sell one).

Keep them...

Keep them unless the offer is just plain stupid high. You'll end up just buying another kit anyway to gig with. Why bother going through the hassle?

Been offered £800 for them. ($1,160)

I guess here's my question:

Is there a kit you like better that costs less or just as much as the offer for your Pearls?

I don't think you're doing "punk" right. :)

Most definitely done correctly :)

Is there a kit you like better that costs less or just as much as the offer for your Pearls?

Not really. Love them to bits but they are heavy. My Yamaha RC's are much lighter but I can't stand the thought of other drummers using them at gigs.
If I buy a lesser kit for gigging then I think I will be defeating the object somewhat??

That's just it. Although the offer for the MLX's is a sweet one, it's not quite into the "stupid good" range. As a point of reference, a 5-piece MLX kit in 1986 retailed for $2330. At best, if you channel the funds towards a new kit, you'll be making a lateral move. Would you be one of those, "I wish I'd never sold those" guys?

That's just it. Although the offer for the MLX's is a sweet one, it's not quite into the "stupid good" range. As a point of reference, a 5-piece MLX kit in 1986 retailed for $2330. At best, if you channel the funds towards a new kit, you'll be making a lateral move. Would you be one of those, "I wish I'd never sold those" guys?

I know I will regret selling it. That is for certain. Needs must at the mo though. also, my wife is moaning about me having too much drum stuff. lol

I know I will regret selling it. That is for certain. Needs must at the mo though. also, my wife is moaning about me having too much drum stuff. lol

Have you made a final decision? Believe me, I know the wife's feelings play a big part, but in your original post you sound like you definitely do not want to take the RC's out, especially for shared gigs, which sounds like an obligation when you are headlining. So, you are essentially saying you need a gig kit (despite wife's concerns). Sounds like the MLX's fill that need, and in a very classy way, at that, IMO. I just gigged my MLX's last night for the first time in a long time (with brand new heads), and, "Ohhh!!," I was re-introduced (for the umpeenth thime) to what great drums they are.

To sell them then turn around and buy a kit of lesser value makes absolutely no sense to me. They may be heavy but then again a cheaper kit will likely be just as heavy and not sound as good. Doesn't make sense to me to sell it.

I am still tearing myself up inside over this. I now have 1 week do decide for good. Been curiously looking at a Mapex Saturn (Mk3 & above) to use as a gig kit. More than likely though it will be the RC's :(

I am still tearing myself up inside over this. I now have 1 week do decide for good. Been curiously looking at a Mapex Saturn (Mk3 & above) to use as a gig kit. More than likely though it will be the RC's :(

Other than "weight" why sell a kit you like just to turn around and buy another one, that may or may not sound as good, unless it's just wanting another kit? This guy approached you, did you list it for sale? If not just say not available.

Having an interest in the MLX drums myself (I own a 1984 MIJ kit), I have noticed a general trend both here and on PDF where people lament, "That's the one kit I wish I'd never sold." Keep them...

I have this! I wish I had mine back. 10,12,14,16,20 Sequoia Red with ISS mounts. They currently reside in a studio on the Ronstadt compound here in Tucson. Just sweet, sweet drums. In Piano Black and desirable sizes? Do not sell that kit! You're gonna kick yourself.

Other than "weight" why sell a kit you like just to turn around and buy another one, that may or may not sound as good, unless it's just wanting another kit? This guy approached you, did you list it for sale? If not just say not available.

He has been nagging me for ages to sell them to him. I was made redundant a couple of months ago so money is becoming an issue, :(

Back