Ludwig LM400 vs LM 402

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Why would you pick one over the other? Does 1.5" really make that much of a difference?

Bonham played the LM402, right?

Ah oh, I think someone is getting a case of, I wish I had a new snare drum........

GAS

Yeah it makes a difference mate. You can get far more "bark" out of the deeper drum. Tuning wise, you can also crank the 402 right up so that it more closely resembles a shallower drum, but you can't go in the opposite direction with the 400. It'll always be limited to the sonic range within it's shallower depth.

I own both, have played both extensively and love both dearly. But if I had to choose, then my vote goes with the 402 any day of the week. There's just so, so many playing applications that that drum seems right at home in.

If you want a dry, funky "Puck" sound, get the 400. If you want something a little beefier for rock, get the 402.

I like the shallower drums personally. They're more practical for gigs too (I'm betting you will be taking this out?

I inherited my '69 400. The interwebs started to give me 402 envy. I stood as far as I could, stretched out my arm and hit my 400. That and a youtube video that compared the 400 and 402 where I actually liked the sound of the 400 better, and now I just don't care anymore.

400s ARE TEH AWESOME!

I do daydream about something like a Coliseum or some kind of ridiculously deep wooden snare maybe like a marching snare. But be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
Both great drums, different applications. For hard hitting back beats, and thwump, thwump, thwump, hard rock, the 402 is your drum. I am not a rock drummer. I prefer more jazz, brush work, rudimental pieces, etc. A shallower drum tends to be more articulate than the deeper drum. Sound travels to the snares faster and response generally quicker on a shallower drum. Aluminum is quick sounding, crisp, dry anyway, so I like the 400 for general play for brushes and articulate playing. The 400 still has a good low range if needed. Why buy a deep drum and then crank it into the range of the 5"?

Best advice . . . one of each, and bases are covered for the rest of your life.

Thank you all for your insight. I think the LM402 is probably the way to go for my purposes. I usually tune my snare drums medium. I'm thinking of either this LM402, the LM400 or even a 6.5X14 Nickel over Brass DW Collectors Snare drum, but I already have a 6.5" deep nickel over brass snare drum.

Thank you all for your insight. I think the LM402 is probably the way to go for my purposes. I usually tune my snare drums medium. I'm thinking of either this LM402, the LM400 or even a 6.5X14 Nickel over Brass DW Collectors Snare drum, but I already have a 6.5" deep nickel over brass snare drum.

If your considering the DW nickel over brass why not go for a black beauty? I have one and sonically it sounds like a warmer cousin of the LM400 and 402.

If your considering the DW nickel over brass why not go for a black beauty? I have one and sonically it sounds like a warmer cousin of the LM400 and 402.

I'm a big fan of brass. Having studied Billy Gibbons on guitar, it's endless fun to play with the harmonics towards the rim of my LB417 while practicing rudiments. Peer-Paw-Pahh-Paaa for 20 minutes. You can really make the instrument speak.

Last edited:

Black Beauty's are nice, don't get me wrong, but if I'm going to get a high-end Ludwig, it will be the LM402 or LM400 first and foremost.

Honestly, I just like the way that particular DW snare drum looks (the 6.5", not the 8" so much), and the hardware is excellent too.

Black Beauty's are nice, don't get me wrong, but if I'm going to get a high-end Ludwig, it will be the LM402 or LM400 first and foremost.

Honestly, I just like the way that particular DW snare drum looks (the 6.5", not the 8" so much), and the hardware is excellent too.

I definitely vote for the 402.

Horses for courses......

Get both and choose accordingly some rooms will sound better with a 400 and some 402.

They both have amazing tuning ranges. I find the 402 is better with a G2/Emp where the 400 is G1/Amb.

We're splitting hairs over two great drums that every drummer should own. If you rock up to a studio with both of these and a decent wooden snare, the engineer will be your best mate

Are the newer versions of these two models still prone to pitting like the old ones? I know the history behind this and the problems with chrome plating aluminum, but I'm curious if Ludwig has found a way around this?

I love my LM402. That has easily become my favorite snare by a healthy margin. I don't have a 400, but I love the combination of cracked and the throaty powerful sound you get from the 402.

As for the finish, I've had mine for a few years now and the finish is still solid.

Are the newer versions of these two models still prone to pitting like the old ones? I know the history behind this and the problems with chrome plating aluminum, but I'm curious if Ludwig has found a way around this?

Some say yes, some say no. If you have it long enough, chances are it will pit, not because of Ludwig, but because it is just darned hard to get chrome and aluminum to be happy together. That is why most most other companies brush or use some other finish on aluminum. Keep them clean, and as climate controlled as possible, and you will have your best shot at keeping it nice.

Back