New band, first rehearsal

Magenta

Platinum Member
A guitarist chappie contacted me the other week, looking for a drummer for a newly-formed jazz-type band. He and I didn't know each other at all, had never heard each other play, and I didn't know the other members of the band either nor they me, so naturally I thought "What could possibly go wrong?" and turned up for rehearsal on Friday.

This is what happened. The first clip is our second attempt at the first song we ran through. The second is our first attempt at one that, guess what, I wasn't familiar with, which is why I don't come in straight away. Pop your headphones on and have a listen :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjUrq0_gQao&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jC7ljJUW80&feature=youtu.be

I didn't get too far into either video and have made this decision. The first video, Summertime, was way to slow, and would put me to sleep, and at that pace doesn't need drums. Not a critique of your playing. And the second is dragging from the start. Did you get a chance to play anything upbeat? Would like to hear a faster song if possible.

The first video, Summertime, was way to slow, and would put me to sleep

Horses for courses, as ever - I generally find it's played somewhat too fast for my liking!

Did you get a chance to play anything upbeat? Would like to hear a faster song if possible.

The most upbeat song we did was a bossa nova, at which I epically failed and thankfully there is no recording of that! Give us time: the keys, guitarist and vocalists have been together for 3 weeks, the bass player has been with them for 2 weeks, and this was the first time they'd had a drummer. I would hope we'll become more rounded as we develop.

I could tell from the first post that the group was new and I would love to hear it later as you meld. Swing, Swing, Swing should do nicely.

Swing, Swing, Swing should do nicely.

Oh yes!! Great idea!

In the meantime, don't forget that Summertime is a lullaby, so if we sent you to sleep - job done ;)

The most upbeat song we did was a bossa nova, at which I epically failed
Got to get you up to speed on bosses - such a useable groove :)

Props to you for diving in on yet another project. You're eating it up!! such a pleasure to see. Note: Now you've got some "weight" to your bass drum foot, time to get a nice Vater Bomb for this band ;)

Got to get you up to speed on bosses - such a useable groove :)

You know how there are some things in life that you go out of your way to avoid, no matter how useable they are? I'm going to have to practise my smile as much as my bastard bossa. Hate it, with a burning hatred that BURNS. Hey ho!

Props to you for diving in on yet another project. You're eating it up!! such a pleasure to see.

I think this may be THE one. Nobody was a knob, everything was organised but not regimented, everybody complimented each other and deprecated themselves, and the over-riding ethos was "This is supposed to be fun, and the better we play, the more fun we'll have, and the more fun we have, the better we'll play." And absolutely no harm is done when somebody remarks "What beautiful drums."

Note: Now you've got some "weight" to your bass drum foot, time to get a nice Vater Bomb for this band ;)

I had to google Vater Bomb.

Great start for first rehearsal. Summertime sounded fine to me with the brushes-maybe a brush for the snare sweep and a light stick 7A for the hihat and ride to sizzle it louder than a brush-that song does smolder. Sounds like it will be a fun project Magenta-your on a run. I've been looking for a new project in my area and all those showing interest in me so far are "Classic Rock/Country Blues Bands" which isn't what I want but may do it anyways.

Great start for first rehearsal. Summertime sounded fine to me with the brushes-maybe a brush for the snare sweep and a light stick 7A for the hihat and ride to sizzle it louder than a brush-that song does smolder.

Yes, that song definitely does smoulder and then some! We need to define exactly what we want.

Sounds like it will be a fun project Magenta-your on a run. I've been looking for a new project in my area and all those showing interest in me so far are "Classic Rock/Country Blues Bands" which isn't what I want but may do it anyways.

Art, all my friends on here call me Madge. You should know that!

But as far as the Classic Rock/Country Blues thang goes - Do it, and cure them!

Absolutely LOVED both of those, your Madge.

Loved 'em like lovely things.

Utterly delightful, both.

What really needs to happen is to move the camera placing so we can see the band's members, IYSWIM.

Absolutely LOVED both of those, your Madge.

Loved 'em like lovely things.

Utterly delightful, both.

Thank you, James, you are lovely too!

Ha,ha,ha dang I thought I typed Madge. Well I turn 61 the 27th of this month and it's official I've lost my mind. What happened to the old 40's music group you were playing =that was you wasn't it-or am I having another "moment"?

I thought "Summertime" was fine Madge. That's the way that song is. I thought it sounded good. It's a slow song. Nice time feel. Slow songs are tough. I felt no dragging in the 2nd song either. Wasn't familiar with it, but the time felt steady as she goes to me. Way to expand your horizons. For a first rehearsal, I don't know that you could have done much better. Your time feel made the songs work, those songs are all about steady. Nicely done, chuffed to bits for you. The others seem like they are mature players. Way 2 go.

What happened to the old 40's music group you were playing =that was you wasn't it-or am I having another "moment"?

Don't worry, you're not having another "moment" - yes it was me, and it still is. We have a grand total of two gigs lined up for the entire year, as do the Singapore Slingbacks, which is why I'm happy to take on another band because we might just, you know, gig a bit more often.

Good stuff.

Thank you :)

I thought "Summertime" was fine Madge. That's the way that song is. I thought it sounded good. It's a slow song. Nice time feel. Slow songs are tough. I felt no dragging in the 2nd song either. Wasn't familiar with it, but the time felt steady as she goes to me. Way to expand your horizons. For a first rehearsal, I don't know that you could have done much better. Your time feel made the songs work, those songs are all about steady. Nicely done, chuffed to bits for you. The others seem like they are mature players. Way 2 go.

Wow, thanks Larry! It was an amazing evening. They liked my playing, but really I can't take much credit because they made it so easy for me. With the exception of the female singer, for whom this sort of stuff is a new venture, they're all pretty experienced jazz types and I'm feeling more than ever that this is where I am happiest. The guitarist is a real perfectionist so I'm going to have to make sure I'm up to the job, but he's also a very nice chap and texted me the following day to say that they all loved me and that I was a good fit, so if that isn't an incentive I don't know what is.

Keep on drumming Madge! :)
Great to see you getting involved in a new musical project! :)

Onya Madge! You're expanding your horizons and playing some sweet sounding music. Dare I say it, the band is covering similar ground to The Mabels and Summertime was one of our signature tunes.

Tempo's a funny issue. We played Summertime a fair bit faster than yours and built up to a fierce crescendo, which is completely absurd when you think that the tune was written as a lullaby :)

Wow, thanks Larry! It was an amazing evening. They liked my playing, but really I can't take much credit because they made it so easy for me. With the exception of the female singer, for whom this sort of stuff is a new venture, they're all pretty experienced jazz types and I'm feeling more than ever that this is where I am happiest. The guitarist is a real perfectionist so I'm going to have to make sure I'm up to the job, but he's also a very nice chap and texted me the following day to say that they all loved me and that I was a good fit, so if that isn't an incentive I don't know what is.

Madge, you deserve a group of experienced people that you can play with. Your good karma is paying off. From the sounds of things, this is a great fit, and I can tell you feel comfortable with this group. Hard to find! So happy for you! I can feel your smile clear across the Atlantic.

Nice going!

Haga even!

Onya Madge! You're expanding your horizons and playing some sweet sounding music. Dare I say it, the band is covering similar ground to The Mabels and Summertime was one of our signature tunes.

Tempo's a funny issue. We played Summertime a fair bit faster than yours and built up to a fierce crescendo, which is completely absurd when you think that the tune was written as a lullaby :)

Thank you my dear!

I think Summertime is one of those rare, flexible songs that can be pretty much all things to all people. It's just beautiful - end of.

I can feel your smile clear across the Atlantic.

Nice going!

Haga even!

Thanks again, Larry and yes, you're right: I haven't stopped smiling. This band seems to be what I had in mind when I formed the Slingbacks, but they ended up taking a somewhat different route, albeit enjoyable in its way.

Back