Identify this Gretsch Kit

Hi, I have the same Gretsch square badge as in the pictures above, my kit looks kind off the same but my tom sizes are a bit bigger. Also the floor tom is standing on the floor instead of hanging on the cymbal stand.

I guess this is also a Gretsch Catalina from around 2000-2001 or something, but does anyone know which one it is exactly? Catalina Birch/Ash or something else?

Attachments

• drum1.jpg
    drum1.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 5,471
Samos, what you have there is a Catalina Elite from around 2003 or 2004 and they they were discontinued after 2004. I have the same exact set same badges and all and e-mailed Gretsch with pics to ID the set and that was what they told me.

Mine look exactly like yours do with the free standing floor tom and the bigger standard sizes along with the maple bass drum hoops. They not only look good but they sound good too don't they? ;)

Samos, what you have there is a Catalina Elite from around 2003 or 2004 and they they were discontinued after 2004. I have the same exact set same badges and all and e-mailed Gretsch with pics to ID the set and that was what they told me.

Mine look exactly like yours do with the free standing floor tom and the bigger standard sizes along with the maple bass drum hoops. They not only look good but they sound good too don't they? ;)

Az just helping you out here. The thread is 8 years old and 'Samos' has not logged on to the site since Nov 2014, so doubt he will answer your question. If you click on a users name you get such statistics.

Opentune, I get that but if anyone else gets a set of these and doesn't know what they are exactly and they do a search to find out and come across this thread the answer is there. I didn't know what they were either when I first got them since the badges don't say anything on them but Gretsch until I took pics and e-mailed Gretsch and they said they were Elites from around 2003 or 2004.

Sometimes searches take you to links like this one that are old but the info is still good and valid.

The base drum looks virgin..no mounting plate..
Not Catalina elite?

Catalina birch before the newer Catalina birch badge?
Wood definitely looks like birch.

Hey AZ, I can't believe I found my original post and your answer after 6 years hahah!
Until now I didn't even know which model I had and forgot I posted this question back in 2014. Thanks a lot for clearing this out!

Really like the fact that they seem to be pretty rare because they stopped producing them in 2004. That also explains why it was hard to find my exact same drum kit on the internet...
The catalina elite does indeed look and sound good :) It is my first decent (and still my only) drum kit that I bought back around 2008 (when I was 16 years old) in a very small local music shop. It was the only drum they had in stock and I got the full set for a cheap price because it was a bit scratched. Now more then 10 years later it has a lot more scratches because I played a lot of gigs with it haha.

Never really had the urge to buy a new kit because the sound was always pretty good for the rock genre I play in. I also doubt I would ever sell it, I'm so attached you know lol. However I could never really get my snare drum to sound good, so that's why I'm using a Ludwig snare instead. Did you experience any issues in sound/tuning with the snare drum?

Do you still play your Catalina Elite by the way?

Last edited:
Back