Best sounding drums????

Green sparkly drums are the best sounding drums. Naturally.

To be clear, I wasn't asking what IS the best sound, but I observe that ply shells still dictate a lot what we consider to be the "best sound." I have heard some fabulous sounding ply drums, as have we all. I wonder if that is because of years of ear training to recognize that sound, or because those are the most affordable, thereby most purchased and played . . .

People know what they know. More ply drums, way more, are sold because they're cheaper to make. The major manufacturers sell more drums than boutique builders so that's where most drummers' loyalties will be. Understandable. I own several ply drums...several...a lot. When compared to well made stave or steamboat drums I own, the non-ply drums usually come out on top. Most drummers shouldn't be making "best" judgments because few have sampled enough different drums (brands, construction types, etc.) to even be qualified to make such judgments. I find their "best" judgments to be worthless as most don't have the experience with enough sample size to make informed conclusions, subjectivity aside.

Just because something has more features, doesn't mean it's necessarily "better" ;)

If I had to pick one horse in this race, I'd take the sowing gal in the middle getting a head start on her day riding the suicide bike where sttering, gas and brake all have a mind of their own.

If I had to pick one horse in this race, I'd take the sowing gal in the middle getting a head start on her day riding the suicide bike where sttering, gas and brake all have a mind of their own.

That's what I call a russian taxi.

People know what they know. More ply drums, way more, are sold because they're cheaper to make. The major manufacturers sell more drums than boutique builders so that's where most drummers' loyalties will be. Understandable. I own several ply drums...several...a lot. When compared to well made stave or steamboat drums I own, the non-ply drums usually come out on top. Most drummers shouldn't be making "best" judgments because few have sampled enough different drums (brands, construction types, etc.) to even be qualified to make such judgments. I find their "best" judgments to be worthless as most don't have the experience with enough sample size to make informed conclusions, subjectivity aside.

What he said..........

Though I'm a ham and egger drummer, I've been blessed to play and own some of the best drums on the planet. Nonetheless, I'd give all of my drums up in exchange for a time machine to send me back to that very first drum kit that my parents bought for me. When you're a kid with a bit of passion for drums, even if you can't play a lick yet (like the kid in this video), there's just something so magical about that first love--a joy that age, maturity, and Father Time will never allow you to equal or surpass. We'll all have a laugh at this video, and rightly so, but to this kid I'll bet those drums are golden.

Though I'm a ham and egger drummer, I've been blessed to play and own some of the best drums on the planet. Nonetheless, I'd give all of my drums up in exchange for a time machine to send me back to that very first drum kit that my parents bought for me. When you're a kid with a bit of passion for drums, even if you can't play a lick yet (like the kid in this video), there's just something so magical about that first love--a joy that age, maturity, and Father Time will never allow you to equal or surpass. We'll all have a laugh at this video, and rightly so, but to this kid I'll bet those drums are golden.

Yes, this is awesome. Well said my friend ! My first Tama were great, even with the rack toms' tendency to drop and sit neatly on the kick and destroy the finish. Man that hardware sucked. The kid I sold them to is still out playing gigs, as am I, that kit was somethinhg special.

LOL, I was very happy to see the end of my first kit :) I still have the Drouyn snare but the Aria fittings meant I had to keep the mounted tom up with gaffa tape. The "highlight" was the home made 12" floor tom (but probably 24" deep) and the wood was so warped it was about as smooth as a cobbled road - and produced the most pronounced boinnngg I have ever heard from a drum.

Back