How far would you go for a Jam?

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Yesterday I got a message on Facebook from a friend. I never really met the guy, but became friends due to mutual friends in the local music scene. He had seen me play and the message was inviting me to go jam in Van Nuys (North LA) with him and a guitar player friend of his who was from out of town or something. It sounded cool and legit and a good chance to meet another bass player (guitars are a dime a dozen). I thought about it and it would involve packing up my kit to go play in a place I'm not familiar with, and it's a long drive through LA traffic, not to mention the gas money involved. Plus, you know drums. It's a whole process. Tear down, bag it up, put in car. Drive. Then everything in reverse order. Then repeat.

So I opted out. If it was more local, like in Orange County or even Corona, which is nearby, then I'd probably do it. Also, just to let you know, I almost hardly ever not do a jam session. I live to play drums every chance I get. But, I already played four nights this week and it is just too far for me to go, I guess.

Hmm, a jam where you bring your own drums? Does that mean other drummers use your kit? All the jams I've done in L.A. have a kit provided.

But I agree, that's a real hike just to mess around for no pay. I'd need more of an incentive to drive 50 miles to jam.

Bermuda

I drive 60 miles round trip twice a week to jam.
But All I have to bring is my drum sticks.

I drive for one hour and a half, I wait for 2 hours to play, then I play for 15 minutes.
Since you made me think of this and add up the time and gas money, what I am doing sounds like a bad idea to me. Thanks a lot....... LOL

10 miles for me. I can usually find someone in my neighborhood to jam with.

I'm near Phila, and have been known to go to NYC for a good jam.

It depends on how bad I want to jam.

Me I would not have passed the opp up. You never know what you passed on.

I drive 60 miles round trip twice a week to jam.

So, 30 mi each way, and in Phx metro that gets you pretty far! I'd say that's acceptable, especially if there's a good social aspect to being there (networking, girls, cheap drinks...)

Me I would not have passed the opp up. You never know what you passed on.

That's true, but you can (literally) spin your wheels too much chasing the unknown. Gets expensive, and eventually, frustrating. It's not possible to know where & when something cool will happen, or where there could be a golden opportunity, but there should be some indication that good things happen at a jam - even if it's just great fun - before going out of your way. But a complete unknown, and spending significant time & money? No thanks, I'll stay home.

Bermuda

One thing that has held true for me...if I passed on something, I always regretted it. Like the more I don't want to go to a thing...I know it's a sign that I should go. Of course! These things aren't easy.

Showing up...is everything!

For me it would depend on,

1) What else am I gonna do?
2) How lazy am I?
3) How motivated am I to meet new players

I drive for one hour and a half, I wait for 2 hours to play, then I play for 15 minutes.

Still at Rips? That's only 10 minutes from me and I'm too lazy to go there. That is sad.

That's true, but you can (literally) spin your wheels too much chasing the unknown. Gets expensive, and eventually, frustrating. It's not possible to know where & when something cool will happen, or where there could be a golden opportunity, but there should be some indication that good things happen at a jam - even if it's just great fun - before going out of your way. But a complete unknown, and spending significant time & money? No thanks, I'll stay home.

Bermuda

Exactly. You took the words right out of my mouth.

OC to Van Nuys isn't bad in terms of miles, but in terms of traffic, no thanks!

That is easily 2 hours each way on average.

So, 30 mi each way, and in Phx metro that gets you pretty far! I'd say that's acceptable, especially if there's a good social aspect to being there (networking, girls, cheap drinks...)

Yes, good contacts and friends. And I'm networking, trying to get known so I can be considered for some gigs.
(Just waiting for some of these older drummers to die off. LOL )

Still at Rips? That's only 10 minutes from me and I'm too lazy to go there. That is sad.

No, I'm no longer at Rips. Now I travel the town with just my drum sticks.

If they are as good as all that then they will have recent recordings of their playing, on you tube etc. I always ask for this first, before even getting in my car. These days everyone has access to recording gear. If they can't provide a decent live gopro type video recording ( a rough FOH mix or even recent gigs with a zoom will suffice) it means something is way off. Get recordings emailed before you leave the house.

The U.K. is inhabited by numerous BS artists deluded enough to think that their talent will entice all good drummers from a 200 miles radius. I once fell fowl of such a band of creatures.
Never again.

One thing that has held true for me...if I passed on something, I always regretted it.

I'm the opposite. I don't think I've ever skipped an event or jam where I later thought "darn, I wish I'd gone!" But, there have been several where I did go, and regretted wasting time and gas.

Unless it's a jam that I know, or features players that I know, or it's a paid gig or a rehearsal for a paid gig, I'm happy finding something else to do.

Bermuda

The U.K. is inhabited by numerous BS artists deluded enough to think that their talent will entice all good drummers from a 200 miles radius. I once fell fowl of such a band of creatures.
Never again.

I think I know those guys, jammed with them before.

I drive 20 miles one way to my practice spot 3-5 times a week my kit is setup there along with everything I need for practice, all I have to bring is some beer and a little motivation!
Before I got my practice spot we practiced at the same place but in an hourly room so I'd have to load up, drive across town, unload everything, setup my kit, tear it down when we were done, load it up, drive back across town and FINALLY bring it all back into my apartment. Getting a lock out rehearsal room has been the best thing to ever happen to me drum wise!
If I have to provide the kit and set it up/tear it down/etc I'll drive no more than 10 miles for a jam. If a kit is provided and all I have to do is show up with my 6 pack and a pair of sticks I'll drive 60-80 miles!

For a jam I would drive 60 or so, but not very often. For a real band I use to drive 60 miles one way, once a Wk. this went on for a couple of yr. I currently play in 2 bands. One is 15 miles, and the other is 30 miles one way. we rehearse twice a week with one, and the other twice by weekly. I go from one rehearsal to the other on Sundays. I work 35 miles away also, so I get a lot of time to rehearse from behind the wheel. I learn a lot of song in the drivers seat.

If I was asked to drive 4 hours to play drums for half an hour, unpaid, in front of a decent number of people I'd be there.

How absolutely strange.

I've told this story bf, a drummers friend of mine drove a great distance at the urging of another friend to check out a band that was looking for a drummer, when my drummer friend asked him how it went, he said they (the band) were terrible, could barley play and it was a total waste of his time. The band was U2.

Back