Cowbell kick-mount too short?

starar

I have a Meinl MCSTBD Standard Cowbell Bass Drum Holder, and I'm finding the stalk is too short. It's about 16cm/6.2inches tall and I need one that comes a little higher up. Any recommendations for holders that are higher?

I have a Meinl MCSTBD Standard Cowbell Bass Drum Holder, and I'm finding the stalk is too short. It's about 16cm/6.2inches tall and I need one that comes a little higher up. Any recommendations for holders that are higher?

If you were to go with something like the DW claw hoop mount cowbell holder, you could substitute a longer L-arm into the clamp to get as much height as you need, if it doesn't do it for you with what it has.

http://www.amazon.com/DW-DWSM2141-Claw-Hook-Clamp/dp/B003HGR6VA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks, so would you recommend against getting a dedicated cowbell holder and just going for a clamp that has an adjustable/replaceable arm?

I have never mounted my cowbell off the hoop, even when in that position; I've flown a percussion or cymbal arm in, so I wouldn't personally know. But the DW mount I linked you to has gotten some very complimentary reviews, and can be had with or without the L-Arm. So you can make that choice.

I have never mounted my cowbell off the hoop, even when in that position; I've flown a percussion or cymbal arm in, so I wouldn't personally know. But the DW mount I linked you to has gotten some very complimentary reviews, and can be had with or without the L-Arm. So you can make that choice.

I'm not sure if using the kick mount is the best way of doing it, seems to come lose from the actual drum quite a bit. Does using a stand prove benefitial in this way, do you have trouble with it sagging?

I'm not sure if using the kick mount is the best way of doing it, seems to come lose from the actual drum quite a bit. Does using a stand prove benefitial in this way, do you have trouble with it sagging?

Quite the opposite. I have used, for example, one of these Gibraltar boom extensions flown off the tom arm on the kick drum, because I found that the typical 9.5mm cowbell post clamp made by Gibraltar, LP, etc. typically comes loose very easily, especially after dozens of setups and teardowns. I simply remove the wingnut, felts and cup washer, and use the part below the threads as the cowbell post.

c2honxf7zv6lftf8kixp.jpg

If you have a virgin bass drum, you might have luck using something similar off a cymbal stand. If you have a typical 7/8" post mount on your kick and you don't put your tom mount in it, you could sink a cymbal boom in there to do the same thing, which should be even sturdier.

Quite the opposite. I have used, for example, one of these Gibraltar boom extensions flown off the tom arm on the kick drum, because I found that the typical 9.5mm cowbell post clamp made by Gibraltar, LP, etc. typically comes loose very easily, especially after dozens of setups and teardowns. I simply remove the wingnut, felts and cup washer, and use the part below the threads as the cowbell post.

c2honxf7zv6lftf8kixp.jpg

If you have a virgin bass drum, you might have luck using something similar off a cymbal stand. If you have a typical 7/8" post mount on your kick and you don't put your tom mount in it, you could sink a cymbal boom in there to do the same thing, which should be even sturdier.
Thanks for the suggestion, is this the same idea? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibraltar...155615?hash=item566e814f1f:g:c3MAAOSw7ThUmZ-h I have a Gretsch catalina maple and it has the tom holder in the middle. I have the toms on it, but theres about an inch and a half of space to theoretically clamp this beneath the toms and boom it forwards. Would this be fairly stable? I like the idea of being able to position it wherever it needs to go.

I have my 20" heavy ride mounted on one of those Gibraltar grabber arms, so I'm sure it will handle a cowbell with no problems! This is my grandson's kit, and I clamped it to the unused tom mount---solid as a rock!!!
12-27-2014005_zps038102f0.jpg

This is my kit---I am using 2 of them---I have an 18" crash mounted to the to the tom arm (with the tom), and my 20" ride clamped to a cymbal stand---again, solid as a rock!
1860_zpsriq3wgaw.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion, is this the same idea? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibraltar...155615?hash=item566e814f1f:g:c3MAAOSw7ThUmZ-h I have a Gretsch catalina maple and it has the tom holder in the middle. I have the toms on it, but theres about an inch and a half of space to theoretically clamp this beneath the toms and boom it forwards. Would this be fairly stable? I like the idea of being able to position it wherever it needs to go.

Yeah, exactly. It's essentially the same piece of kit and will hold really steady for a cowbell.

Yeah, exactly. It's essentially the same piece of kit and will hold really steady for a cowbell.

Thanks for your advice, my new Gibraltar SC-GCA fits on the Catalina Club Maple's tom holder perfectly, about half a cm left above it, so it perfectly fits in and now the cowbell is a good height. I notice some people find that adding a cowbell to the tom mount via a boom arm causes their toms to be a bit dead, can you say whether you noticed this or not?

Thanks for your advice, my new Gibraltar SC-GCA fits on the Catalina Club Maple's tom holder perfectly, about half a cm left above it, so it perfectly fits in and now the cowbell is a good height. I notice some people find that adding a cowbell to the tom mount via a boom arm causes their toms to be a bit dead, can you say whether you noticed this or not?

Nope. But if you run into this, play around a bit with where the mount is on the tom pipe and it may help.

Glad this suggestion worked out for you.

Back