Missing the crash

This is the best thread ever, and the funniest, and I thank you all, for I have found my people. After searching far and wide, at long last, I have found you.

You have seen the cape thread, haven't you? I'm off out to jam night in a bit so I don't have time to search for it right now, but I'm pretty sure somebody will oblige. THAT is the funniest ever, I promise you. I always make sure I have been to the loo before I read it.

Try thinking of the cymbal hit as not being over until you recover the stick.

That's difficult - at least, it's difficult when I'm sitting at my laptop. Might be less difficult in practice. I'll give it a try at jam night :)

Thinking of the hit as 'occurring' when you launch is a real formula for lots of problems...including missing the intended target.

You've been watching me, haven't you?

...and repeatedly aim for a small portion of the cymbal(or drum)...its a great skill builder.

You know what else I think is happening, besides my stick dematerialising? My arm suddenly becomes telescopic and articulated in all the wrong places.

Good for driving, bad for drumming. Close your eyes and crash the cymbal with it not being there. Have someone observe where your stick naturally goes with your eyes closed and move the cymbal stand there.

I actually do this in regards to adjusting snare height, tom height. Just close your eyes and hit a crash where it feels natural, then open your eyes and put your crash where your stick was.

This is the best thread ever, and the funniest, and I thank you all, for I have found my people. After searching far and wide, at long last, I have found you.

Let me play you the song of my people...

<swings and misses>

Didja like it?

I miss the HH, sometimes. As in, I physically try to hit it, and miss. :|

Also, the conversation about Drum Driving has led me to believe that we need to invent a dashboard suction-cup cymbal. Like a hula girl, only it's a cymbal.

How does it happen? Does my stick mysteriously dematerialise at the crucial moment? It drives me nuts and makes me feel like a pillock. Bah.

Maybe you're just too small?

:)

That's a very deep comment about crash cymbals... especially if you miss them... perhaps far and wide is not a good option, near and narrow is maybe better? Then you'll find your crashes every time.

Also, the conversation about Drum Driving has led me to believe that we need to invent a dashboard suction-cup cymbal. Like a hula girl, only it's a cymbal.

No! Not a good idea, at least not for you, you're already driving and dancing at the same time, if you add car drumming into the equation, you won't miss that crash!!!

I actually do this in regards to adjusting snare height, tom height. Just close your eyes and hit a crash where it feels natural, then open your eyes and put your crash where your stick was.

Going to do that tomorrow. On past performance, I might still mis-hit fresh air, however.

Maybe you're just too small?

I most certainly am not too small, Swissman. I am exactly the right amount of small, I think you'll find.

I know what you mean by being addicted to crashing. So many drummers crash on beat one at the end of a fill, that it's a nice thing to think of an alternative.

I do blame Steven Adler on Gun's and Rose's "Sweet Chid of Mine" as he hits the crash on every 1 and every and of 2 through out every chorus and the guitar solo. He pretty much never lays off the crash. And being 17 and impressible at the time the album came out, I learned the song (well, the whole album) verbatim. And while I may have gone to listen and learn many different aspects of drums since then, sometimes the things you pick up as a teen just stick.

I do blame Steven Adler on Gun's and Rose's "Sweet Chid of Mine" as he hits the crash on every 1 and every and of 2 through out every chorus and the guitar solo. He pretty much never lays off the crash. And being 17 and impressible at the time the album came out, I learned the song (well, the whole album) verbatim. And while I may have gone to listen and learn many different aspects of drums since then, sometimes the things you pick up as a teen just stick.

Yea, that does sound like all Steven's fault. :)

You certainly are your Highness

First you accuse me of being too small, then you rub my nose in it by calling me "Highness".

This is what friends are for.

You know what's worse than missing?

Missing on the downstroke, then knocking the stick out of your grip when, after having missed the cymbal, the upstroke then clips the bottom edge of the cymbal, and weeee, there goes the drumstick.

First you accuse me of being too small, then you rub my nose in it by calling me "Highness".

This is what friends are for.

Firstly: I didn't accuse you, I just stated a fact, I couldn't accuse you of anything!

Secondly: You may be a small Lady, but physical size aside, "your Highness" suits you like a glove!

Thirdly: I didn't rub your nose in it, I just agreed with the fact that, indeed, you are exactly the right amount of small!

So yes, this is what friends are for ;)

Now, when you'll hit that crash cymbal, remember to look at it! That should do the trick.

You know what's worse than missing?

Missing on the downstroke, then knocking the stick out of your grip when, after having missed the cymbal, the upstroke then clips the bottom edge of the cymbal, and weeee, there goes the drumstick.

Ouch. I wish you hadn't told me that, it'll put ideas in my head.

So yes, this is what friends are for ;)

For taking the piss at every opportunity. Exactly!

Now, when you'll hit that crash cymbal, remember to look at it! That should do the trick.

I'll give it a go :) I'm setting Marlene up again this afternoon so I'll do the eyes-closed thing, and then if I don't fall asleep I'll open them again and try to look at what I'm aiming to hit.

This probably really is the ticket. Kinda like dad telling you to "keep your eye on the ball" when learning to hit a baseball. I think I miss crashes the most when playing on a house or shared kit that I didn't setup. My left arm goes where the crash normally is and whiffs it.

Back