Suggestions for Recording Drums?

WyattDrumming

Hello all, just wanted to make a quick post asking for suggestions on what I should get when it comes to recording drums for a beginner. I want to get into recording but I am not sure what exactly is good equipment to get. I want something that creates a decent sound for the drums and an overall good setup for covers. Nothing expensive but not a super budget. Again, something for a beginner to use to record myself playing.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all, just wanted to make a quick post asking for suggestions on what I should get when it comes to recording drums for a beginner. I want to get into recording but I am not sure what exactly is good equipment to get. I want something that creates a decent sound for the drums and an overall good setup for covers. Nothing expensive but not a super budget. Again, something for a beginner to use to record myself playing.

Thanks in advance.

This is a fairly common question. Expect to be asked the following in this thread.:
What is your desired budget? What is your maximum budget?
Are you recording alone, or with other instruments playing simultaneously in the same room?
Will the equipment be used to record live performances?
How many pieces is the drum kit you will be recording?
Are you currently using a mixer? Are you looking to add a mixer?
What DAW do you intend to use?
Do you require the ability to record when 'not' tethered to a computer?
What is the intended quality level (amateur / professional)?
What styles are typically being recorded?
What equipment do you already possess?
How do you intend to monitor and playback (headphones, studio monitors, pc speakers?)
Will you be recording anything other than drums?

In its most basic form, you need a mic and a recording device. If you have a laptop, one of the Focusrite bundles is a good representation of an entry level offering. If this were my first recording setup ever, I'd spring for the 2i2 and a second second mic.

I use a 4 mic setup and it has been a great intermediate offering with great results for the price.

This is a fairly common question. Expect to be asked the following in this thread.:

In its most basic form, you need a mic and a recording device. If you have a laptop, one of the Focusrite bundles is a good representation of an entry level offering. If this were my first recording setup ever, I'd spring for the 2i2 and a second second mic.

I use a 4 mic setup and it has been a great intermediate offering with great results for the price.

Thanks for the input! I will check it out.

Find a used Tascasm US-1800 interface. You can get one for a reasonable price. $150-200.
This interface has 14 channels so that you can grow into it as you progress to recording a band, etc. (trust me, you can never have enough channels)
Buy a used drum mic kit with one or two condenser overhead mic's, a snare mic, and a bass drum mic. You can add more tom mic's later.
You will need some mic cables, a stand for the overhead, and a laptop too.
You are good to go
Here are some pics of my setup. I bolted the Tascam interface to a computer stand.
I also record to an external hard drive that is on the tray below the stand.
That is optional.
I made a counterweight for the boom stand from a drink bottle with pebbles inside.

Attachments

• 10850644_10203055424698801_1354436282_n.jpg
    10850644_10203055424698801_1354436282_n.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 10833699_10203055423938782_135037455_n.jpg
    10833699_10203055423938782_135037455_n.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 12170315_10204885464128643_1733911340_n.jpg
    12170315_10204885464128643_1733911340_n.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Find a used Tascasm US-1800 interface. You can get one for a reasonable price. $150-200.
This interface has 14 channels so that you can grow into it as you progress to recording a band, etc. (trust me, you can never have enough channels)
Buy a used drum mic kit with one or two condenser overhead mic's, a snare mic, and a bass drum mic. You can add more tom mic's later.
You will need some mic cables, a stand for the overhead, and a laptop too.
You are good to go
Here are some pics of my setup. I bolted the Tascam interface to a computer stand.
I also record to an external hard drive that is on the tray below the stand.
That is optional.
I made a counterweight for the boom stand from a drink bottle with pebbles inside.

Thanks. I will definitely be looking into the interface.

Back