Do you wear shoes when drumming?

Always with shoes.

While I know many good drummers go barefoot or socks, I can't fathom how they do it.

On the other side of the coin I think to myself, "How can they feel their pedals through the shoes? How do they slide their feet on the pedal with the rubber being so grippy?"

Barefoot,socks or Chucks for me. When I play out I wear Chucks mainly because most of the bar floors are pretty nasty.

I use flippers.

How ro I fit the flippers on the pedal? You may ask.

I cut a knotch in the center so the flipper fits around the beater/ stand.

Anything serious, then it's barefoot.

It really comes down to the fact that I hate wearning anything on my feet, I also obviously don't wear shoes inside my home. I play drums all day, so wearing shoes all day, which isn't healthy anyway, is no option.

At this point it is what it is. Wearing shoes on my feet while drumming would be like having these on my hands.

ALWAYS wear shoes! I don't gig with no shoes, I don't practice with no shoes and I HATE seeing a YOUTUBE 'expert' drumming video where the drummer is showing his nasty feet! Your girlfriend don't like seein your nasty feet so why would you make a video with no shoes! LOL

I played barefoot for years, but honestly I got tired of stepping on something dangerous and/or disgusting while playing out in clubs.

Now I almost always wear sneakers. I like either way, but I find that each requires slightly different technique.

Anything serious, then it's barefoot.

It really comes down to the fact that I hate wearning anything on my feet, I also obviously don't wear shoes inside my home. I play drums all day, so wearing shoes all day, which isn't healthy anyway, is no option.

At this point it is what it is. Wearing shoes on my feet while drumming would be like having these on my hands.

I don't think it matters what you wear on your feet but you can't say that all of the great drummers that play with shoes on are wearing the equivalent of a hockey glove on their feet. The feet and toes don't play the pedal the way that the hand and fingers do the sticks.

Personally, I just can't imagine taking off my shoes in a venue other than my bedroom.

Joe Morello said not to use tennis shoes. I'll take his advice. I have NP's video and he uses like a dancing loafer, and I saw VC using Chuck Taylor Cons. I'd probably use Vans slip-ons, if anything. I tried a snow boot one time. It was OK, but looked a little silly.

I don't think it matters what you wear on your feet but you can't say that all of the great drummers that play with shoes on are wearing the equivalent of a hockey glove on their feet. The feet and toes don't play the pedal the way that the hand and fingers do the sticks.

Personally, I just can't imagine taking off my shoes in a venue other than my bedroom.

No insinuation about any other drummer made. Just how it feels to me.

I do wear shoes outside in the streets and in the winter time offcourse and have the same concerns about hurting my feet as others, so shoes are basically taken on and off at the kit when out.

If I go back to university I guess I'll just get me some slippers.

I wear slippers for most of my home practice.
Comfy ones from Marks and Spencer.

$(KGrHqJ,!qYFCSdfDY!GBQr1wUih6w~~_32-260x260-0-0.JPG

When I play out I go for a similar profile- flat sole, either chucks or vans.
Once I tried playing in boots and I was all over the shop.
I'm sure I could get used to it.

Always wear shoes. I'm a sensitive sole.

(See what I did there?)

There was something about your post that made me flounder.

I would take my shoes off to play, but I fear the tench might be off putting.

So I perch on my throne and play in shoes. Especially when my band plaice 'Twist and Trout'.

Apologies for carping on a bit.

Socks, with my shoes placed neatly next to the hi-hat stand.

Inside the shoes go my watch, money, and phone.

I played barefoot for years, but honestly I got tired of stepping on something dangerous and/or disgusting while playing out in clubs.

Now I almost always wear sneakers. I like either way, but I find that each requires slightly different technique.
same thing. I figured if I was going to wear shoes playing out then I may as well practice in them too.

Within the past two weeks I've been trying with my steel toe work boots. It may be too early to tell, but this far I quite like it.

Socks at home and flat soled vans when playing out.

I switched to wearing slip on shoes all the time because I play with socks. No issues with slipping them on and off for playing/walking around.

I always drum barefoot, but I didn't know it was a thing until someone asked me about it recently. In the summer, I am always barefoot around the house and in my garden, so I didn't think to put on shoes when I started drumming. I did try once with shoes, and found out that shoes don't make me happy.

Back