RIP Paiste 2002 22" crash...

Road Bull

Silver Member
So while at practice today, I noticed a small crack at the edge of my left side crash. I was pretty bummed. I had not broken much up till recently. First my top 15" SE 2002 HH, now, my 22" crash. My HH was still under warranty so that was replaced, but I bought this used. I can'r really complain as I didn't pay full price, and I have been playing it for a bit over two years with a lot of use.

Time fore replacement. I am considering everything from sucking it up and purchasing a new one, to biding my time to try to find a used one, to going another route altogether. On the surface, buying new seems the hardest as it is a fairly expense cymbal. Used may not happen any time real soon, at least not the same. I might just go with, lets say, a 2002 20" Ride instead. We play fairly heavy loud music.

On the one hand, many would say, "that's going to sound like hitting a sewer lid." But I think I might just be able to get away with it. Many bands that I am into use the same approach. Most of their 2-3 cymbals are rides. I have all rides for my home practice kit and it seems to work alright, (Zildjian 24" Med Ride, 21" Sweet Ride, and 20" K Ride). The K sounds most sewer lid when played solo, but when playing with amps, it sounds just right. So I think I might just go with a 20" 2002 Ride as they are relatively easy to find, and fairly cheap when used.

Sort of thinking THIS sound>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W0IHFXiP1k

Have any of you done something similar?

I will tell you that the 2002 ride will be no where near as crashable as a K ride, so if you think that already sounds like a sewer lid (which I heavily disagree with, regarding full ride cymbals the standard K is fantastic for crashing) you'll have a hard time with the 2002.

That's too bad about your cymbals cracking, I myself use 2002's exclusively for the last six months and no problems, and I bash them sometimes too. They were bought used in good condition, all red labels. I got the 2002 20" ride and while I don't crash it, it's very nice to lay into with the shank of the stick. And IMO you could play whatever music you like with it.

Bum deal, Ryder, but bound to happen given the mightiness of the rock you guys are serving up. After seeing you guys blowing the roof off of Darryll's the other week, I'd say you got your money's worth outta that one.

I just let the smoke out of one of my crashes a couple weeks ago, too, so I feel your pain. In my case, I had another similar crash laying around (last one of those) so I didn't have to worry about what to replace it with.

I just started playing with another band and they have a kit at their space that I'm using, so my collection of cracked pies now populates that kit.

I will tell you that the 2002 ride will be no where near as crashable as a K ride, so if you think that already sounds like a sewer lid (which I heavily disagree with, regarding full ride cymbals the standard K is fantastic for crashing) you'll have a hard time with the 2002.

I don't really have a problem with the Zildjian K rides. In fact, I might use the 20" Ride as a place holder for now till I find an alternative. The 2002 rides are not that bad as crashes really.

That's too bad about your cymbals cracking, I myself use 2002's exclusively for the last six months and no problems, and I bash them sometimes too. They were bought used in good condition, all red labels. I got the 2002 20" ride and while I don't crash it, it's very nice to lay into with the shank of the stick. And IMO you could play whatever music you like with it.

I hear ya. My 2002s have been going strong with a fair amount of shows. I am careful and try to use good technique as opposed to pure, blind, brute force. Still all good thing come to an end. It's just that they go at the worst times. Also as far as replacement goes, large pies are not as common to come across used. Oh well, that's life.

Bum deal, Ryder, but bound to happen given the mightiness of the rock you guys are serving up. After seeing you guys blowing the roof off of Darryll's the other week, I'd say you got your money's worth outta that one.

I just let the smoke out of one of my crashes a couple weeks ago, too, so I feel your pain. In my case, I had another similar crash laying around (last one of those) so I didn't have to worry about what to replace it with.

I just started playing with another band and they have a kit at their space that I'm using, so my collection of cracked pies now populates that kit.

Thanks for the kind words Mike. We had a blast at that show. I guess at the end of the day, I got a lot out of that cymbal for over two years, and I picked it up used. So I am not really complaining too much. You gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet. LOL.

If the crack is on the edge, you can trim the cymbal down to a 20". If it sounds good, great, if not then you can look for a replacement.

If the crack is on the edge, you can trim the cymbal down to a 20". If it sounds good, great, if not then you can look for a replacement.

True. I saw a guy on CL offer this service out of Vancouver. I might try to find someone closer. I might be able to get 21 good inches out of it. Who knows.. lol.

check out casico interstate on ebay.....they sell brand new paiste stuff on ebay for as cheap as you're going to find. I would steer clear of zildjian. They sound so gongy after you play the perfection that is Paiste. There are 22" 602, 22" 2002, and 22" signature reflector crashes. The 24 Giant beat also makes a great crash.

check out casico interstate on ebay.....they sell brand new paiste stuff on ebay for as cheap as you're going to find. I would steer clear of zildjian. They sound so gongy after you play the perfection that is Paiste. There are 22" 602, 22" 2002, and 22" signature reflector crashes. The 24 Giant beat also makes a great crash.

Word. It is hard to go back to Zildjian after you have heard the perfect bell of a 2002 24" ride. Those SE hi-hats are hard to beat as well. The only Zildjians that get close enough for me are the New Beat hats, the K Rides (as crashes) and Sweet Rides (as crashes) 21" SR crash is pretty awesome, but doesn't have many partners that evenly compliment it consistently. This is the issue that ultimately pushed me over to the Paiste family. I was looking for a second crash to match the tone and volume of the 21" Zildjian Sweet Ride. I fished through a bunch of Zildjian K rides and got fairly close with a Dark Ride, but I wasn't convinced. Looking back, that might have worked OK. At the time, I didn't think that it opened up enough. But I listened to the youtube recording of that cymbal and it sounded good from the audience perspective. The thing that REALLY won me over to Paiste was the mighty 2002 24" Ride. Once for ounce, my favorite cymbal of all time! A bell that can cut through hundreds of watts of fuzz clear as truth and a ROARING wash that has a home in rock and roll music. I have a 24" Medium Ride that hits close to the mark of what I am looking for, but they just don't always deliver as consistently as Paiste in the tone department. The bell just can't compete with the 2002 24" Paiste. Even the discontiuned Alpha 24" Rock Ride is still the "go to" ride for such drumming power-houses as Travis Owen of Weedeater, Dale Crover of the Melvins, and Cody Willis of Big Business. And THAT is just the "Alpha" entry line! I am a believer in Paiste for the rock. It sounds so good.

I still think that Zildjian has some gold, but it is touch and go as far as consistency.

I'm convinced my 19" Xplosion crash is cracked but I can't find it, yet uugghh

Lame. I had that happen to one of my favorite crashes years ago. I had two other roommates that played drums, so there was a likelihood that I was not the one to break it. But my Zildjian K 19" Dark crash developed a sizzle to it.

Those Sabian Xplosion crashes sound pretty good too.

Lame. I had that happen to one of my favorite crashes years ago. I had two other roommates that played drums, so there was a likelihood that I was not the one to break it. But my Zildjian K 19" Dark crash developed a sizzle to it.

You might want to give some of the larger HHX xplosion crashes a try. I'm loving my 18" HHX xplosion for playing metal and rock, it even doubles as a low volume ride.

that sucks, i broke my first 18" projection crash, but managed to keep the second one i bought around for about 8 years till my room mate got a hold of it. Still played fine for a about a year, but after i joined a heavier punk project it got destroyed completely. Just picked up a 19" a custom and a 21" k crash ride to replace it.

Anyways as far as OP's situation goes, I would use a 20" 2002 ride as a crash any day of the week. I really don't understand the need for people to have their big cymbals be a ride or a crash. if it does what you want it to do, go for it. My condolences on the loss of that wonderful cymbal!

So I found a really sweet deal on a Paiste 2002 22" Ride today at American Music here in Seattle. Shout out! It's crazy enough, it might just work! I will really only know for sure in the context of the band. I will have a better idea come Thursday. As Will said, "It's like a 22" crash, but with a THIRD more volume!" Hahaha.

Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash!!!! Hahaha... It's like a 22" crash, but with a lot more overall volume! You should have seem my guitarist face when I showed him my replacement for the 22" Crash that I retired. After the initial shock, he liked the overall tone and pitch of the cymbal. Tonally, it sits the highest out of the the three cymbals that I have on my kit.

Cymbal set up.
All Paiste 2002:

24" Ride
22" Ride
24" Reverend Al's Big Ride
15" Sound Edge Hi-Hats

Out of the set up that I am running, I might consider trading out the Big Al ride for something a bit brighter, maybe even a 20" Ride, who knows.

Attachments

• Paiste22Ride.jpg
    Paiste22Ride.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 675
Good lord, that's INSANITY!

I had a 22" 2oo2 Ride and thought it was too heavy for a RIDE cos I had trouble crashing it, and here you go running it as a dedicated crash? That's freakin' hilarious!

You're the man, Ryder!

BTW - I just started using a 24" 2oo2 Ride with this new band I started playing with (it's not mine) and like you said, it's a total beast with clarity for miles. Super fun cymbal to play on and smack the snot out of!

Good lord, that's INSANITY!

I had a 22" 2oo2 Ride and thought it was too heavy for a RIDE cos I had trouble crashing it, and here you go running it as a dedicated crash? That's freakin' hilarious!

You're the man, Ryder!

BTW - I just started using a 24" 2oo2 Ride with this new band I started playing with (it's not mine) and like you said, it's a total beast with clarity for miles. Super fun cymbal to play on and smack the snot out of!

Haha. You know what they say.. anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

I thought it might not really work well either, but I put it on my Ludwig kit last night and compared it to my other pies. I think it's crazy enough to be right at home in this loud band.

Oh, and I love those 2002 24" Rides. That is still my favorite cymbal overall. You gotta love that bell.

I use fairly large cymbals but not quite that large, 18/19/21/23. I have no problems cutting through two Mesa Boogie full stacks and an Ampeg SVT. Some shows are fully mic'ed,except for the cymbals. They bleed on to everything. I have to hold back or they can be overpowering and my guys play LOUD.

Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash!!!! Hahaha... It's like a 22" crash, but with a lot more overall volume! You should have seem my guitarist face when I showed him my replacement for the 22" Crash that I retired. After the initial shock, he liked the overall tone and pitch of the cymbal. Tonally, it sits the highest out of the the three cymbals that I have on my kit.

Cymbal set up.
All Paiste 2002:

24" Ride
22" Ride
24" Reverend Al's Big Ride
15" Sound Edge Hi-Hats

Out of the set up that I am running, I might consider trading out the Big Al ride for something a bit brighter, maybe even a 20" Ride, who knows.

That's a GREAT photo. 2002's are such classic, timeless looking cymbals and you've captured that perfectly with this shot!

I use fairly large cymbals but not quite that large, 18/19/21/23. I have no problems cutting through two Mesa Boogie full stacks and an Ampeg SVT. Some shows are fully mic'ed,except for the cymbals. They bleed on to everything. I have to hold back or they can be overpowering and my guys play LOUD.

Hey Bull! Well, those are pretty large pies as well! I am sure that they have no problem cutting through. We are not really a everything to ten band, but we enjoy a bit of volume. It's nice to know that you are in no danger of ever getting lost in the mix.

That's a GREAT photo. 2002's are such classic, timeless looking cymbals and you've captured that perfectly with this shot!

Thank you for the compliment! I guess not too bad for a Samsung 6 phone pic. Hahaha. Sort of a pic of the cymbal with its new partners in crime. : )

Back