Too old to "give it some" - my birthday weekend.

Thank you, & yes, the sound is just the camera mic's. This particular gig is very stripped back for us. The kit is completely unmic'd. We're just using two of our PA tops, & only keys + vocals going through it. Crucially, the camera is behind both rear line & PA, so the sound would be much better out front.

Camera is a Zoom Q8. It has a 4 channel capability, so able to take a desk feed as well as the built in condenser mic's, or aux mic's as required. On this occasion, we're just using the built in mic's. You'll get just as good audio results from the cheaper Zoom Q3HD using the built in mics, but the Q8 has more facilities & is useful for it's wide angle lens facility too. Common to all Zoom cameras, the audio is unsurpassed using built in mic's, but the video element is poor by comparison to a regular video focussed camera.

Thank you :)

Danke for the info! I've been wanting a Q8 for quite some time, and hadn't looked into the Q3 at all. I appreciate the first-hand info on the two. One more Q - I loved the sound of your ride cymbal (in fact, all your cymbals. Wish we had access to Amedia). How would you compare your ride to the Sabian AAX or HHX Raw Bell Dry Ride in the flesh?

GeeDeeEmm

First let me say Happy Birthday Andy. Second, the playing was refreshing and had lots of energy and the fills were sweet. I am 57 now and feel I am playing better then I ever have so let me tell ya, you have a whole lot left....

Happy Be-lated Birthday Andy!

My best thoughts while you grieve....

...and am looking forward to the recording of how that drum sounds when hit ; )

...I bet it is...sweet...(sorry)

Danke for the info! I've been wanting a Q8 for quite some time, and hadn't looked into the Q3 at all. I appreciate the first-hand info on the two. One more Q - I loved the sound of your ride cymbal (in fact, all your cymbals. Wish we had access to Amedia). How would you compare your ride to the Sabian AAX or HHX Raw Bell Dry Ride in the flesh?

GeeDeeEmm
Very different to the AAX for sure - much more complexed. I can only compare it to the HHX, not the raw bell version. This Amedia Vigor 22" ride is one heavy beast yet it's not a one trick pony. I use it a lot, but especially in unmic'd gigs where I need it to cut through big sounds without being overly bright / glassy. Amedia are distributed in the USA. I can hook you up with the main guy if you wish.

First let me say Happy Birthday Andy. Second, the playing was refreshing and had lots of energy and the fills were sweet. I am 57 now and feel I am playing better then I ever have so let me tell ya, you have a whole lot left....
Great of you to chime in Bob, & thank you for your words of encouragement!

Happy Be-lated Birthday Andy!

My best thoughts while you grieve....

...and am looking forward to the recording of how that drum sounds when hit ; )

...I bet it is...sweet...(sorry)
Groan - yes, sweet indeed :)

Back