Old DW 5000 single-chain questions

In both my quest and need to get into drumming on a budget, I went to look at some used boom stands today that I found on CL. One was a double-braced undecipherable brand, the other turned out to be a 900 series Yamaha. Not sure how, but $45 got me the stands, boom arms, and an old single-chain DW 5000.

That's really funny as I'd just came straight from GC with a new Pearl 930 to replace the DDrums pedal I have. The new 930 seems really nice, and I admittedly haven't gotten it completely tweaked to my satisfaction yet, but I gotta tell you the 5000 seems really sweet despite a few issues.

First of all, did all models come with a metal plate on the bottom, or is mine just missing it? Second, is it normal for there to be a fair amount of side to side play in the pedal, or does it need work done on the pedal hinge?

I wasn't planning on using the 5000, but after stomping on it a bit I'm like, hmmm...GC does have that 45 return policy.

Last edited:
this is a very nice pedal in the 'light' class. I have had 2 and neither had a base plate. it is a little wobbly side to side but I really like this pedal and use this one over heavier ones . it's also very portable. some people have attached their own base plate. mind you the 930 is very nice but if you're trying save some coin I would say one could get along with the 5000

Can you post a pic of the pedal? The versions before the Delta hinge did have some side to side play and did not have the baseplate. Still a solid pedal, started playing 5002 double pedal in 1987, then upgraded when the delta hinge system came out.

Well, without seeing it, you are correct, in the beginning they did not come with a plate. But that's ok. It'll play just fine without it. You may have to replace the heel plate hinge, but if it's an older model, you will have to make sure the newer ones you can buy at the shop will actually fit (perhaps it might - not sure). That would fix any primary issues on the feel. If you want to really make it "run like new" replace the sealed bearings in the posts on the axle. You can go to a skateboard shop and get new bearings (they're just like the ones in the wheels) and the pedal will work like new - unless you like how it feels now.

But the older, lighter DW5000 pedals are great pedals - I've rebuilt quite a few of them.

But the older, lighter DW5000 pedals are great pedals - I've rebuilt quite a few of them.

Yes! OP, if you have not done so already, use the search function here in the pedals sub-forum and simply type in "DW 5000."

Lots of threads praising these older pedals. I picked up a late 80's 5000 about 6 months ago. After dissassembling, cleaning, lubing, and replacing a few parts, it is my #1 gig pedal (over a Speedcobra, Iron Cobra, and Gibraltar G-class).

Here's some pics:
SFDqIWjm.jpg
iix8tBPm.jpg
UvEV1ffm.jpg

The middle one shows the amount of play.

Didn't DW recently re-release the old 5000 design under some new marketing? It may be called the 6000 now or something.

http://www.dwdrums.com/hardware/6000/pedals.asp

They did. It's basically the old 5000 with no pedal plate, your choices of sprockets and linkages, with the new squarish help late. Oddly enough, you can also get a demodified 5000 pedal like this as well, only difference being that the footboard says "5000" instead of "6000".

Here's some pics:
SFDqIWjm.jpg
iix8tBPm.jpg
UvEV1ffm.jpg

The middle one shows the amount of play.

So, with that amount of play, is the heel hinge moving? It looks like you're just bending it. If the heel hinge isn't totally loose I'm not sure what the problem would be. Fortunately, your foot more or less goes up and down and the play shouldn't be that big of a problem? Maybe you could replace the spring wire that connects the heel to the main frame?

Would the hinge on the 6000 fit my old 5000? Does the slop in my pic come from the hinge?

I'm not sure about that right off the bat. But there are only two things you could replace here to fix it: the heel hinge, or the spring wire between the hinge and the posts of the pedal. I would try to find those parts first (should be readily available - or an inspection of the new Delta hinge at a shop before you buy to see if it would fit what you have).

If you were to get the 6000 for the parts, you might as well just use the whole 6000?

So, with that amount of play, is the heel hinge moving? It looks like you're just bending it. If the heel hinge isn't totally loose I'm not sure what the problem would be. Fortunately, your foot more or less goes up and down and the play shouldn't be that big of a problem? Maybe you could replace the spring wire that connects the heel to the main frame?

Both hinge sides are secure. The flex seems to come from the huge joint itself. One time while playing it, the chain derailed.

Two other things I'm wondering:

What's the condition of the sprockets on the cam, are the teeth worn away. I'm also wondering if maybe the chain has "stretched" some. Bike chains over time will stretch, never seen a pedal do that but guess it's possible.

Also if you take the chain off the cam is there play at the cam/shaft?

In both my quest and need to get into drumming on a budget, I went to look at some used boom stands today that I found on CL. One was a double-braced undecipherable brand, the other turned out to be a 900 series Yamaha. Not sure how, but $45 got me the stands, boom arms, and an old single-chain DW 5000.

That's really funny as I'd just came straight from GC with a new Pearl 930 to replace the DDrums pedal I have. The new 930 seems really nice, and I admittedly haven't gotten it completely tweaked to my satisfaction yet, but I gotta tell you the 5000 seems really sweet despite a few issues.

First of all, did all models come with a metal plate on the bottom, or is mine just missing it? Second, is it normal for there to be a fair amount of side to side play in the pedal, or does it need work done on the pedal hinge?

I wasn't planning on using the 5000, but after stomping on it a bit I'm like, hmmm...GC does have that 45 return policy.

That pedal is well worn, I can tell by looking at it. The heel plate hinge needs to be replaced (gaps where the opposing hinges meet), and sprocket teeth not only wear top to bottom (height of the teeth) they wear side to side (tooth thickness).

The worn teeth and the heel plate hinge wear are causing the side to side slop. Bearings could be removed and washed/cleaned, prob OK, but skate bearings are cheap enough. A new chain wouldn't hurt either.

the slop side to side simply results from a narrow single chain. it is germane to the pedal. no other chain pedal does that because the chain is ...... double, and thick with no play. like it or leave it. I've had 2 of these and they both do it.

the slop side to side simply results from a narrow single chain. it is germane to the pedal. no other chain pedal does that because the chain is ...... double, and thick with no play. like it or leave it. I've had 2 of these and they both do it.

Check your heel plate hinges, any foot board (doesn't matter- chain, direct, strap) will not move side to side if the heel plate hinge is tight. Sprocket teeth, chains and heel plate hinges wear together.

Thanks for all the input folks.

Remember, I essentially got this pedal thrown is with other gear I bought so if it doesn't work it's really no big deal. I just liked the action of it so much I was curious if it could cheaply be brought up to snuff.

As I previously stated, this old pedal in some ways feels better than the new Pearl I just bought.

Best

FWIW, my old DW 5000 (from 1993) has a plate. However the hinge moves a lot side to side. It's one of the reasons I decided to buy a new pedal.

FWIW, my old DW 5000 (from 1993) has a plate. However the hinge moves a lot side to side. It's one of the reasons I decided to buy a new pedal.

It is amazing when I recall my first DW5000 pedal from 1983 to my current DW9000 how much the pedal has evolved in 30 years.

Back