1960's Ludwig Super Classic Champagne Sparkle!!

R2112

Silver Member
Hello all! I've wanted a vintage Ludwig Super Classic for a long time now and I'm so excited to finally get one! I thought I wanted Gold sparkle but something about this Champagne Sparkle really grabbed me and blew me away when I saw it. The story behind this wrap is supposedly back in the 60's Ludwig offered an upgraded Champagne wrap, for an upgraded price of course. Ludwig used real flakes of gold and copper in it. This wrap is one of those upgraded wraps. I would love if any Ludwig knowledgeable members on here can confirm that? Anyways, I'm just really excited to finally have this kit! I'm amazed at the sound! They are such a true joy to play. My wife, who is not a drummer at all, said "I don't just hear those drums...I can feel them!" Mission accomplished! Lol :)

Sizes: 13x9, 16x16, 22x14
Snare: 1976 Ludwig Supra LM402 Ludalloy

Please excuse all of my 6 year old daughter's artwork hanging behind the kit. She colored all those and hung them there so I would "remember her" while I played. Couldn't say no to that. :)

Attachments

• Drums1.JPG.jpeg
    Drums1.JPG.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 912
  • Drums2.JPG.jpeg
    Drums2.JPG.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 513
  • drums3.JPG.jpeg
    drums3.JPG.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 431
  • Drums4.JPG.jpeg
    Drums4.JPG.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 427
  • Snare1.JPG.jpeg
    Snare1.JPG.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 432
Great kit, nice sizes, classy find. Daughter's artwork is cool too.
That gold champagne sparkle wrap could actually contain flakes of gold and copper must surely be a yarn. There are 1000's of flakes in a wrap. Thats a lot of gold and at $1100/oz. would not only be sizeable in weight, but prohibitively costly. Doesn't diminish the beauty of you kit one bit. Enjoy.

I understood it that all champagne sparkle wrap from Delmar contain flecks of copper. But not gold, that has to be a farce. I have a champagne sparkle Ludwig kit from the 60's and there's no gold in there, just copper.

Beautiful, both the artwork and the kit :)

Thanks Bob! My daughter was happy to know there were people all around the world who liked her coloring. :) Your kit in your profile pic is a beaut! What year?

Great kit, nice sizes, classy find. Daughter's artwork is cool too.
That gold champagne sparkle wrap could actually contain flakes of gold and copper must surely be a yarn. There are 1000's of flakes in a wrap. Thats a lot of gold and at $1100/oz. would not only be sizeable in weight, but prohibitively costly. Doesn't diminish the beauty of you kit one bit. Enjoy.

I understood it that all champagne sparkle wrap from Delmar contain flecks of copper. But not gold, that has to be a farce. I have a champagne sparkle Ludwig kit from the 60's and there's no gold in there, just copper.

Yes, the gold flake story seemed a little too far fetched lol. I thought maybe it was just that Ludwig added a few gold flakes here and there in certain wraps...but even that was a stretch. Thank you so much gentlemen! The knowledge and experience on this site is incredible. I knew I could get the truth here.

That's a lovely kit, stunning finish.

Thank you! I'm still just blown away at the sound and tone of them. I've played some modern kits that are made in the same vintage sizes, specs and woods but after hearing this one, IMO none have sounded like the real thing.

Nice!
I love my '67 Red Sparkle Super Classic and you have a Bonham snare!

Congrats on your '67!

Yes, immediately after I played it I understood why Bonham used an LM402 for so long. My gosh it sounds so great..and it's so versatile!

Your new toy looks to be in amazing shape for nearly 50 years old.

On my 1968's I like to tune my resonate head a little tighter than the batter on the toms. It really makes them sing.

Congratulations and enjoy!!!

Your new toy looks to be in amazing shape for nearly 50 years old.

On my 1968's I like to tune my resonate head a little tighter than the batter on the toms. It really makes them sing.

Congratulations and enjoy!!!

Thank you so much!! That's often what I think when I look at it. Can't believe it's 50 years old! They really knew how to make them back then.

I've been playing around with the tuning. I agree with the combo of the reso being slightly tighter than the batter working really well. Love the beautiful tone!

Those are beautiful! I had a set of super classics in gold (not sparkle) and I know exactly what your wife means about feeling them. Love the round, fat tone of those Super Classics. Hope you plan to keep em forever!

You'll never need another kit as long as you live. Those are amazing drums. Love the artwork too.

You'll never need another kit as long as you live. Those are amazing drums. Love the artwork too.

Thank you! Great advice! I never plan t sell it. I plan to pass it down to my son someday. He's 8 and loves to play. He's already started playing in a band at his music school. Pretty proud of him! :)

Fixed .

I know this because I painstakingly extracted all of the metal from my wrap (it took forever picking all those little flecks out) and melted it down, along with the fillings in my teeth, to buy some beer. If there was any gold in there, I woulda had a 12-pack of Heineken instead of the 6-pack of Old Milwaukee I had to settle for. I'm still bitter about that.

Back