The Max Weinberg Modern Drummer Cover Photo That Got Away

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
The Max Weinberg Modern Drummer Cover Photo That Got Away

SKF NOTE: When either I remember or someone tells me this photographer’s last name — I will credit him. And I apologize in advance for not remembering his full name. I met him twice, as I recall. Very nice guy and very good photographer. New Jersey based photographer Barry (???) took a series of photos of Max Weinberg for Max’s April 1982 Modern Drummer cover story.

I love this photo of Max. It is not a posed photo. The photographer caught Max resting during the photo shoot. Max was, and probably still is, a meticulous guy. He wanted the photos for his first MD cover story to be as good as possible. I made my best case at an MD editorial meeting to use this photo as the cover photo.

Long story short: I lost the argument. The April 1982 MD cover created instead is posted below.

I still love this photo. Barry and Max gave me an 8?10, signed by the photographer, and I just came across it in a file folder yesterday.

152108_weinberg_max_tired.jpg

weinberg_max_april_1982.jpg

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

I remember this photo Scott. It wasn't on the cover like you said, but for me to remember it, it must have been included in the feature article.

I still remember details of that interview, specifically where Max says he "hitched his star to Bruce's comet"

I also remember reading in the article about Max lamenting about his time in "Darkness on the Edge of Town". This is where Bruce had said to Max that "it's time to address the problem", and that's when Max started working with a met. He put it on 60 I think it was and I remember reading him say that there was enough time in between clicks to go make a sandwich, it seemed so slow lol.

I can't believe I can recall those details of an article I haven't read in 33 years...but yet I don't know where my keys are that I just had.

Thanks again Scott, for the past blast.

I remember this photo Scott. It wasn't on the cover like you said, but for me to remember it, it must have been included in the feature article.

I still remember details of that interview, specifically where Max says he "hitched his star to Bruce's comet"

I also remember reading in the article about Max lamenting about his time in "Darkness on the Edge of Town". This is where Bruce had said to Max that "it's time to address the problem", and that's when Max started working with a met. He put it on 60 I think it was and I remember reading him say that there was enough time in between clicks to go make a sandwich, it seemed so slow lol.

I can't believe I can recall those details of an article I haven't read in 33 years...but yet I don't know where my keys are that I just had.

Thanks again Scott, for the past blast.

I also remember that interview with Max. Exactly what Larry said above, and Max also mentioned that he shared this lament during a meeting with Buddy Rich. Buddy also encouraged Max to switch to trad during their time together (not to open THAT can of worms) ;). Max said that that was when he made the grip change.

The interview with Prairie Prince was also very interesting. All in all, that was a good issue of Modern Drummer.

Back