What Drum Moments Give You the Chills

When I hear the fantastic opening of Make Me Smile by Chicago:

+1 It's all excellent! I especially liked the ending starting at 11:30 and then at 12:15 ...wow, just pure excellence. Forgot to add it was my pleasure to see them perform this right after it was released "waaaay" back when. As with Santana I've always been a Chicago fan, until they got rid of their drummer. They were already changing but after that, they were never the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p-yiT1KF9I

Last edited:
I have no idea if it's actually a drum machine or something, and it's not like they're technically complicated, but the fill(s) leading to the outro of "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds ratchet the song up for me. They are just ... perfectly placed.

I have no idea if it's actually a drum machine or something, and it's not like they're technically complicated, but the fill(s) leading to the outro of "Don't You Forget About Me" by Simple Minds ratchet the song up for me. They are just ... perfectly placed.

That's no drum machine mate. That's Mel Gaynor at his finest. His playing is filled with those clever and creative little flourishes.

That one you mention is indeed a very tasty little fill from a very tasty drummer.

That whole song!
Drummer Mel Gaynor really nailed a perfect drum track through out that song.

You know, a lot of "whiplash" style drummers just don't think Keith was any good, and that he's only known for being a maniac but not a good drummer. I've listened to/watched videos of him, seen him live a dozen times and I always catch something new. Maybe he wasn't a rudimental sort, or a nerd who had to read his part, but that dude could outdrum anyone in rock music. He was off the charts and more creative than any I've ever seen. PLUS, it all came from within and NOT off a music stand. RIP Keith.....

As I've often said,

Neil Peart got me interested in drums.

Keith Moon (despite having been dead some 8 or 9 years at that point) was the one who made me want to dedicate my life to drums.

The fill he plays at 0:25 is awesome: simple, tasty, creative, exact. His playing in "Come Together" is also fantastic. It looks like is a simple, easy thing, and it's not.
Mike Shrieve is a great drummer, a little underrated IMHO.
Carl Palmer is not my thing, I'm sorry.

I have heard 1000's of songs, watched tons of videos, have seen many bands over my many years, and I can honestly say I don't remember ever getting the chills. I don't ever remember ever screaming at or for a band or song or wildly jumping up and down in my seat. Too busy being entertained I guess.

Elvin Jones ... anything...

Steve Gadd ... anything...

Bill Stewart....anything....

Roy Haynes... anything...

Tony Williams.. just about anything....

Last edited by a moderator:
Killin stuff... no doubt!

You got that right. I mean Bill kills everything he does--the groove, the textures, just the continual expressions in his playing that I find so engaging. This cat is all about telling stories with his drumming and taking you on these trips, these journeys. For me, it's all about that connection--it's like freaking magic.

Again, just one example. I can EASILY think of many examples from each of the gentlemen you listed.

Okay, I'm going to settle down now...and go listen to En Route. ;-)

Elvin Jones ... anything...

Steve Gadd ... anything...

Bill Stewart....anything....

Roy Haynes... anything...

Tony Williams.. just about anything....
I was thinking similarly, David and I'd add Bernard Purdie.

One of my favourite Gadd moments is in James Taylor live, Country Road - the passage from 3:30 is so spot on - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BYb3u0aZVY - every time I hear him playing the offbeat with the bass drum towards the end of the passage my cheeks tingle :)

I get a kick out of Tony Allen's feel and sound all the way through this track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxaUjIYX1Y (also enjoyed watching the producing grooving away in the control room ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxaUjIYX1Y

I have heard 1000's of songs, watched tons of videos, have seen many bands over my many years, and I can honestly say I don't remember ever getting the chills. .

I just don't know what to say about this.

Music has brought me to tears. Chills are just the appetizer.

I guess you don't know what you're missing, so it's all good.

Back