My Lust Has Been Satisfied!

Thanks again for the comments. Gonna go batter it once I've had my breakfast. It may need a bit of a tune to get it sounding good.

What's the most used tuning would you say, low, mid or high? Also is there any specific note one should shoot for? Any steps to achieve between snare, hi tom, low tom and floor tom?

My only recommendation is to tune your bottom head tight tight tight. The drum will really sound like it's supposed to then. After that, it will sound good tuned at low, medium, or high on the batter. Whatever you're in the mood for that day.

You have to get a feel just how tight....that tight is, on the bottom head. It's tighter than you may initially think. If you feel you might be stretching the mylar on the bottom head, you're probably right there.

What I do, when I get it where I like it, with the snares off, I tap the bottom head and listen to the pitch. I memorize it. When I go to play, I give the bottom head a little tap, and I can tell by the note if it needs tightening.

Thanks for the tip, Larry.

If you have a minute please listen to the video I've just made below. Forgive the playing - I was merely whacking the thing to see how it sounded in its current state of tune.

http://youtu.be/ObIIPm1hk1I

Any feedback appreciated.

All I can say is your bottom head sounds tight enough.. You could probably go a bit tighter with it, but you're definitely in the zone.

You are at an acceptable tuning right there. Try cranking both sides a little more and see if you like it even more. There's a good chance you might.

Very nice Mart! With the gear you now have you could play any kind of gig. That is a snare and some cymbals that you will never outgrow. Diddles are coming along nicely too. Check out the 5 stroke roll, I have gotten a lot of use out of that rudiment.

My new (to me) Supra is sitting on the back patio as a naked shell. Going to finish polishing it up tonight.

Back