Got my first lesson tonight!

Mart61

Silver Member
18:30 in sunny Cleethorpes. :)

This is where I find out how many bad habits I've taught myself.

Wish me luck.

:)

Enjoy it - I'm sure you'll do more than fine.

Now, when are you starting a band? :)

Enjoy it - I'm sure you'll do more than fine.

Now, when are you starting a band? :)

Many thanks. Starting a band? Pah, I'm auditioning for a stadium band tomorrow who has to remain nameless for contractual reasons.

;)

18:30 in sunny Cleethorpes. :)

This is where I find out how many bad habits I've taught myself.

Wish me luck.

:)

Depends why you are having lessons. If its just a general "What am I doing wrong and how can I do it better" then possibly. If you are going to learn a new genre then probably not, unless you have a major and glaring fault.

Depends why you are having lessons. If its just a general "What am I doing wrong and how can I do it better" then possibly. If you are going to learn a new genre then probably not, unless you have a major and glaring fault.

I'm having lessons because I'm a complete beginner and want to try and establish a good foundation on which to build competence.

Great, go for it! Hope you found a great teacher, no teacher at all is better than a bad one IMO.... I learned that the hard way!

Getting lessons in the beginning is always a good idea.

When it comes to hand technique, there are many ways to hold a stick and just be aware that certain have teachers very strong opinions about specific choices. I've received plenty contradictory information from most of my first teachers, all of whom were great players in their own right.

Depending on what is coverered and if you can afford it, I'd shop around a bit right from the get go, just to get a bit of perspective.

Getting lessons in the beginning is always a good idea.

When it comes to hand technique, there are many ways to hold a stick and just be aware that certain have teachers very strong opinions about specific choices. I've received plenty contradictory information from most of my first teachers, all of whom were great players in their own right.

Depending on what is coverered and if you can afford it, I'd shop around a bit right from the get go, just to get a bit of perspective.

+1.

Lots of ways to hold a stick, find what is comfortable for "you". Dont expect to be able to do everything with one grip, I am in no way a techician when it comes to drumming but I am aware that I use at least three variations on my grip to play the stuff I have learned. Goodluck.

Thanks guys. Waiting for my slot now.

Doh! Forgot the hat!

Well had a good first lesson and yes there were several comments on my grip. The tutor has shown me another way of holding the sticks but told me not to get hung up on it at this stage.

I've left with a number of basic sticking exercises and another lesson on the cards for next week.

Well had a good first lesson and yes there were several comments on my grip. The tutor has shown me another way of holding the sticks but told me not to get hung up on it at this stage.

I've left with a number of basic sticking exercises and another lesson on the cards for next week.

You can't expect perfect technique off the bat, and from what I've seen for such a new drummer, you're killing it (young person slang for doing really well!).

I like your enthusiasm and approach. Remember to have fun, and as soon as you feel confident holding some beats, get yourself out to some jams with friends, or open mics, or what have you. Drums are really one of the few instruments that you can't fully enjoy until you're able to be a part of music. Locking in and grooving with others is a "high" you won't soon forget, and will crave very quickly.

Back