Electric dilemma

Hi everyone,I decided to register here because I've been having issues with electronic drums for quite a while now and need to sort them out.
About a year and a half ago I got a dm10 studio kit and I pretty much hate it.The reason I got it at the time was because I was moving and could no longer play acoustic but I also got it just as much for beginning to record through a daw with a vst software instrument so I could start getting full ideas finished further down the road.
I've never got into the kit whatsoever,I noticed over on the dm site just how much customisation people put into the kit and that's something I don't really want to get into,I'd rather have a kit that's a bit easier to just plug and play.The pads are the old pre-mesh ones that feel a bit cheap,I know the mesh conversion can be done easily enough but I'd rather spend time playing instead of tweaking and repairing different parts of the kit as I'm pretty hopeless at that stuff.
I've two questions.Should I try to actually get into tweaking the kit to make it work for my needs or cut my losses?I already intend on selling it but am just wondering whether I should give it another shot.For an example with the customising aspect of things,the kick drums legs on this model are too short,so too begin with trying to play it was a pain in the ass as the legs need to be replaced.Is this the kind of thing that exists on most e-kits?If I'll have to fix these kind of problems myself I might as well just stick with this model although the fact I've had it for this long and haven't found the urge means I pretty much know the answer and am just ranting.I think that this is a low to mid range kit that can do very good things if I put a lot of effort into it outside of the actual playing effort I want to put in.

I think I'll be looking at getting something else anyway which brings me to my last question.What e-kit should I be looking at?I want something that's texturally as close to an acoustic set as possible,something that's easy enough to plug in and play and doesn't require a lot of tweaking through the module and something that works well with a drum vst so that I can put ideas down in a daw seamlessly.I'm looking at a budget of around 2k give or take.I'd like to know what some of you think is the best quality piece of gear I could get around that ball park.

Thanks for reading
Stupidrumface

My teachers advice: Buy a Roland. This is probably very good advice.

I personally went against his advice and picked up a DTX532K, as it was the only real-hi-hat-stand kit I could afford without saving another 6 months. It makes a nice practice kit. The DTX snare is small but comfortable. The rubber pad toms feel the same as rubber pads have for the last 20 years.

If I were going to use it full time, I would have saved for a DTX 562 or DTX700. Alternatively TD15kv Would have been my other choice.

There are a number of conversion fans on this site, and I would have given it consideration had I had the real-estate.

For your range, Roland makes at least a couple of kits in that 1295-1595 range that would work out. Obviously, you're not in TD-20 (or 30) territory, so you'll just have to deal with the $$ you do have. I think Roland has one with "ok" mesh heads under 2K, just not sure which one.

As was said, you're only real choices are either Roland or Yamaha, and I'm from the Roland camp, having owned a top flight TD-10 back in the day. That was best practice kit I ever had at 6K ;)

Right now I'm looking at the Roland 11 and 15,I'll need to look into a kit that works well with a double pedal too.There's a fairly big gap in the market between the Roland 15 and 30,about a grand or so.Shame the 20 has been discontinued,I presume it filled that gap.

Actually, I think the TD-12 was that "gap filler", but that too has been discontinued. I also agree, I wish Roland would have included a replacement for the 12 but that's marketing.

I started with a TD-11KV, then through GAS, upgraded everything to a TD-15KV (mostly through eBay). I certainly enjoy the larger pads and true VH-11 hi-hat, but to be honest, I didn't really notice a "huge" improvement between the two modules. Yes, the TD-15 has more sounds, and I like the Quick Edit feature, but my TD-11 worked just fine. I'm sure at some time in the future I will see a TD-30 (or it's replacement) in this house but for now I am very pleased with what I have.

Again, just my 2-cents.....

Last edited:
I might but I'd rather get something new in case something goes wrong and I'm left soaked.There's not a lot to choose from where I am.There's actually a decent used Roland 20 near me but it doesn't have a usb port so I think that rules out working through a daw and recording with a software instrument.

I bought my kit with a TAMA double base (I thought I needed) but I'm only using one pedal. I may add the double but for now the single works fine. Please realize, I am somewhat of a novice drummer - played in high school but that was many many moons ago, so basically, I'm starting over.

Just for the record, I also bought all new equipment w/extended warranty from Guitar Center because I knew nothing about eDrums. My Roland equipment has worked fine - no problems. I did add a Yamaha PCY-135 that did act up - Yamaha replaced it free of charge (this was not covered under my GC contract). KUDOS to Yamaha - I can not say enough good about them. I do like the Roland cymbals better but for the price, Yammy is great. Since then, I have purchased most of my stuff used either from Musician's Friend (free shipping, matched price) or eBay.

I might but I'd rather get something new in case something goes wrong and I'm left soaked.There's not a lot to choose from where I am.There's actually a decent used Roland 20 near me but it doesn't have a usb port so I think that rules out working through a daw and recording with a software instrument.

It would probably be fair to say that if you're dissatisfied with the DM10, that the TD11 and DTX502 series aren't going to blow you away. I consider those to be roughly the same tier as the DM10 aims to be, but with Rol/Yam both having a quality and design advantage. DTX700 and TD15KV is where you probably should be looking, even if it delays the purchase for a few months due to a constrained budget.

If, like me, you simply cannot afford/justify the expense of the DTX700/TD15... well.. yeah. DTX532. It is what it is.

Hmm,I haven't really considered Yamaha,I know Roland is considered the market leader so figured I'd go that way.

Now I'm thinking it might be more of a decision between the DTX700 and the Roland 15.
Does anyone have any experience with the 2box drum brain?The simple interface looks appealing.

If you want some useful info about using your DM10 kit with VSTs and possibly converting the pads to mesh heads, check out the DMdrummer.com forum.

Also maybe consider triggering a 2box module from the DM10 (via midi) after a mesh conversion. It's worth exploring the 2box forum: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php

If you want some useful info about using your DM10 kit with VSTs and possibly converting the pads to mesh heads, check out the DMdrummer.com forum.

Also maybe consider triggering a 2box module from the DM10 (via midi) after a mesh conversion. It's worth exploring the 2box forum: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php

I'm familiar with the forum,in fact it's one of the main reasons I bought the model.I'm really not bothered at this point in all those customisations though,it's too much effort for me outside of actually playing.

I have a td15, 2box, and also a yammie module. The roland is definitely the easiest of the bunch to use. They all have good features. The Yamaha is my least favorite. I did convert an acoustic kit for full time electronic use, and also mix electronic with my acoustic kits love. Of the batch, the Roland , so far, triggers best, 2Box has the best "real" drum and cymbal sounds, and the Yamaha really is just a practice kit. I use roland cymbals and hh. I can't really tell you about any midi use, as I don't use that feature. I had a td11, but swapped to the 15 right away and VEX'd it.

Well this new Roland sounds like another option now anyway.
Thanks for that.

Thanks for that message too sparky.Going on your experience it sounds like the roland mod would suit best.I'd like the best sounds available but if choosing that over the 2box means I'm going to bypass some extra tech problems and lose 10-20% quality of the drum sound I'll be happy enough.

I might be a bit ignorant regarding midi,I thought it was as simple as plugging a kit in via usb to a pc and using it as a midi controller like a midi keyboard,I didn't know there'd be midi cables involved too.
Recording through a daw with midi is my main motivation here.I've used EZ drummer and done some programming in the past with preset loops and stuff from scratch,I play a bit of guitar too and have had loads of fun making rough demos in the past,but I've gotten to a point where I really want to lay drum tracks down by playing them and not having to create them from scratch through software,the amount of editing it takes to sound right at this stage just takes too long.I love playing so having an outlet like this to get ideas down would be awesome and would require me to improve musically which I'm not doing as much with programming,I'm really sick of creating that way and need a break from it.

With the sounds that come with these higher end kits,do you think I'd need a vst like EZ drummer,Addictive etc. or would the kit sounds themselves sound superior (no pun intended)?

Hello Everyone, I've been playing Pearl, as well as Ludwig acoustic kits for many years now, and because of the versatility of the newer e-drums, I'm looking at the more affordable Yamaha 522K kit. I just like to be able to do all of my own tracks and studio work myself.

I want to be able to put drum tracks to my guitar players melodies and lyrics and basically get up to speed on all the bell and whistles associated with the Yamaha kit. I've heard a lot of good things about the 502 module and was wondering what kind of sound I could get out of the kit if I add, let's say, a Simmons DA 200S at a later date to possibly do some gigging, and for practice as well.

E-Drums are a whole new world for me, but I'm excited about the possibilites, because my Pearls are limited, especially when it comes to all these great sounds and the ability to modify at the touch of a button.

Also, has anyone had any major concerns, that have experience with the Yamaha kits ? Thanks....

I'm a hack so take this with a grain of salt! I love my 522 but in all honesty, if you can stretch it try and at least get the 532. The difference is the hihat, and it is well and truly worth the extra. I have in fact purchased the rhh135 hihat separately because the feel of the one with the 522 was crap. I also find the pcy135 cymbals much better than the pcy100 that you get with the 522. I'll be buying another of those in the future too (though probably the pcy155).

Also, with the rhh135, while with the 502 module you'll only get the close, half open and open sounds (you do get foot chick and splash sounds) I've read if you use it with something like a vst you'll get like infinite positions, or something like that! Don't hold me to it, just what I've read.

Also, has anyone had any major concerns, that have experience with the Yamaha kits ? Thanks....

I've owned a DTX532k for a hair over a week now and really like it. I bought it as a practice kit. The down sides...

1: You cannot cheat on the high-hat in the same manner you do on an acoustic. If you want to open the hat for a single 16th note, you need to open the hat 'before' the stick strike. Not during, not after, but unconditionally and clearly before the stick hits.

2: The rubber pads on the toms are very bouncy to the point where you think you have chops that you don't actually have.

3 The rubber cymbals take a bit of getting used to. Fast 16th's on the hat are problematic for me. Fast triplets on the ride take more work than on a real cymbal. If you've learned to crash with a glancing/sideways motion, you're going to have to re-learn to come straight in.

4: There is a definite loss of complexity with any eKit when compared to an acoustic.

5: Hat-open and outer zone needed remapping in Garageband.

6: The toms are smaller than real toms. The only issue for me has been the floor-tom. I've whiffed it quite a few times.

Aside from that, it's been wonderful. It seems nice and rugged. The sounds aren't offensive. It responds well with no noticeable latency. Some of the built in time-machine kits can be great fun.

I've owned a DTX532k for a hair over a week now and really like it.
4: There is a definite loss of complexity with any eKit when compared to an acoustic.

Is the 532 the best e-kit you've played?Because it doesn't seem to be a top of the range model judging by the price.The loss of quality might be less noticeable further up the field.A lot of those downsides (especially the hi-hat stuff) would put me off going near it.

Back